Wellington Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr. Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People around you are nice and humble, comfortable to work with
    Great profit sharing program and other benefit

Cons

Lack of room for growth
    Not very excited work

Advice to Management

Meritocracy

"Conservatatve and Grounded"

Current Employee - Portfolio Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll work with well-educated, talented, and dedicated professionals in just about every group. Everyone from the administrative assistants (who have degrees from top schools) to the portfolio managers/partners is in it to build up the Client, Firm, Self motto. You will be compensated on the mid to higher end of the spectrum, but the 15% profit sharing on your base + bonus makes this place a game changer if you are in it for the long haul. Beautful offices. Wonderful benefits. Focused on one thing: managing money for a fee. No grand ambitions of expanding into services or product offerings for the sake of doing it. Grounded and thoughtful. Rewards merit.

Cons

We have a stuffy, conservative, formal culture. Business casual is not a thing here. Suit and tie every day for men. People, however, are very approachable. It can be hard to move up quickly, because no one ever leaves the firm. It is the norm rather than the exception to see someone at Wellington for well over 25 years.

Advice to Management

We've built a respected, industry-leading quiet giant. As the Baby Boomer generation retires and the X-ers and Millennials are rising into their ranks, you have to create more pathways to leadership and advancement. It is not motivating to have your title listed as "analyst" until you are in your late 30's. The bifrication already exists informally within the roles. Just formalize it with slightly different titles. It makes us marketable professionals and we'll feel more engaged. We have BIG ideas and want to put them to the test quickly. That is a challenge for any storied, conservative company --but especially for Wellington. We love working here and being a part of a fantastic company. Let's lose the ties and move into the 21st century.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company; smart people; collaborative; interesting history.

Cons

Culture has changed considerably. The differentiating qualities that made it a special place to work are disappearing. Environment is much more corporate than it used to be.

"A very good company"

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible culture, everyone on our team worked very hard and were supportive of the team's and company's goals. The company highly values communication, training and investing time in employees. I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers and direct managers. The time they invest in performance reviews truly helps you build a solid career and build upon your strengths as they put words into action with professional development opportunities. Everyone was very professional and you felt like people worked very hard throughout the whole organization.

Cons

Pay is below average. Worked a very high volume of overtime. They did not allow any part-time work arrangements, but did allow flexible work from home options if you had a solid track record and presence - you had to earn this. There were many growing pains to get good processes in place to be efficient and distribute work but once in place greatly helped the overall performance of the group.

Advice to Management

Management can change often and at the end of my tenure our most senior manager was an extremely poor fit for our team - we rarely if ever interacted with this person and was so removed from our group it seemed a major fumble that they were given this position.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart colleagues. Beautiful office in Boston. Company offers many training opportunities and networking groups, which keeps people connected through common interests.

Cons

Very hard place to start your career at the entry level and make the jump to the next level. Big gap between administrative staff and next level. Administrative Assistants are kept in the title far too long even when the role has expanded beyond just simple Administrative tasks.

Still, I'm giving career opportunities 3 stars because there is so much knowledge to soak in and such smart individuals network and learn from.

Advice to Management

Loosen up on some of the bureaucracy and promote young talent more quickly. You'd be surprised how many would stay on just a bit longer if you did this.

6. "Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wellington Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Considerate, non-hierarchical, great diversity programs

Cons

Limited growth out of administrative positions even though qualifications may be there

"Great company. Good job if you are okay with the workload"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation and excellent benefit, but I have heard others complain about the bonus, comparing to other financial companies during the "down" years. The top management promotes a culture of high standard, and everyone expect to do the right thing. The company has rightfully earned its outstanding reputation.

Cons

Very demanding in terms of time and urgency. All the talks about work-life balance doesn't help. Depending on the team, some IT projects can be chaotic. Despite the effort of the top management, I think the culture has changed among the middle management. There has been more in-fighting between teams and within team than I expect.

Advice to Management

Change the performance review process. The first time I got a bad review in so many years was when I gave a bad review of my manager.

8. "Desktop Support Specialist"

Former Intern - Desktop Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Desktop Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Friendly and amicable colleagues, Family like environment.

Cons

Work load can become hard to manage with the limited Desktop Support staff performing projects as well as perform normal duties and responsibilities.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wellington Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Lots of career growth.

Cons

Financial company so poor job security. A little stuffy.

"Strong culture happy employees"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Culture is awesome. People love to work there with employees regularly pushing double digit tenures.

Cons

Many of the employees were on the older end. Young professionals are a small population.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive on having assignments for interns.