Wells Fargo Architect Reviews | Glassdoor

Timothy J. Sloan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be non existent depending on your business line" (in 360 reviews)

• "sales goals were a major part of the job" (in 1256 reviews)

1. "Cloud Instalation"

Former Employee - Cloud Architect in Brenham, TX
    Former Employee - Cloud Architect in Brenham, TX

I worked at Wells Fargo (Less than a year)

Pros

Great fun to work for

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at all

Advice to Management

Nothing Comes to mind

"Infrastructure Architect"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wells Fargo is focused on customers and is a people centric company with good values. Salaries are competitive in the market with great potential for career growth. The company is large enough that almost every facet of technology is leveraged.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic and risk aversion translates to very long implementation times.

Advice to Management

Cutout middle management empire building and do not be afraid to remove processes that add no value.

3. "so-so"

Former Contractor - Senior User Experience/Info Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior User Experience/Info Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

the work is actually complex and challenging, ux mgrs are competent, professional, and decent people.

Cons

product / project mgmt is less than competent - tries to compensate by being aggressive and insistent. dump on people and play the blame game.

Advice to Management

pay more attention; establish long-term methodologies

4. "Systems Architect"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are high caliber, great variety of big impact projects, all the mainstream technologies, and lots of innovative ones being considered. Very flexible time, ample PTO, etc. I would recommend a job here on a short term or contract basis.

Cons

There is no such thing as a career at Wells Fargo due to the constant reorgs. If you are seeking a career in terms of getting a promotion and in turn higher pay, stay away. If you want to gain valuable project experience and use it to get a promotion elsewhere, then join Wells Fargo, but make sure you leave. The only opportunity to advance is by applying elsewhere in the company, but that is really like applying to a new company - there is no fast tracking as an existing employee. Training is nonexistent for the workers, but management is quick to go to conferences themselves.

Advice to Management

In my decade at Wells Fargo, no one has ever asked me what my career ambitions are (none, because I am not stupid). Stop the constant reorgs. Be honest and open. Stop outsourcing overseas - have some loyalty to American employees - you are a US company at the core. Modify pay to reflect market conditions. Have better bonuses that are in line with what the business side gets.

5. "Large scale in all things including beuracracy"

Current Employee - Systems Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great life work balance. Fairly good benefits for IT. Good pay for mediocre accomplishments.

Cons

Not allot of career progression outside of management. Mediocre pay for great accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Focus on management accomplishments as opposed to individual contributors is killing IT innovation.

6. "Data Warehouse Architect"

Current Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work flexibllity is good.
    Technology adoption is medium to good.
    Salaries are competitive primarily.
    Pro-Full-time employee model

Cons

Too much emphasis on diversity.
    Politics.
    Limited career advancment unless you fit their diversity "hot" spots (gender, race, ...) with heavy emphasis on females & minorities

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easily move around company after a year in a position (after applying and interviewing). Extremely flexible in my area, in terms of work times, working from home, scheduling PTO, etc. Coworkers are high caliber. Projects are numerous. Technologies span a wide array. Depending on your role, you can do a ton. Very socially responsible company, especially in the diversity and LGBT space. I am very proud of the great work this company does for the community, and for openly taking a progressive stand on these issues. There is a real desire to be innovative and serving external and internal customers. It would have to be an extraordinary opportunity to get me to leave.

Cons

Career path is B.S. There are reorgs every 18 months, a constant shuffling, so it would be hard for any manager to actually know you. I have had over a dozen managers in ten years. I have never had a development plan in my ten years here. They have a stupid regional "midpoint" compensation system and odd HR job categories that do not match market. I went a few years without a raise because I was over the midpoint, and since I was reorg'd so often, I could not find a manager able to move me up, and there are very openings above my level. It is too hard to get promoted in certain HR categories like Database Analyst 6 and Systems Architect 6, Analytics Manager 5, etc. Bonuses are not that great either.

Advice to Management

Work on better internal advancement and how to retain very experienced professionals. Change the midpoint system and cough up the money to be more competitive. Expand advancement within job categories (eg, Database Analyst 7, 8, 9 , Systems Architect 7, 8, 9). You need to have cost of living increases over the midpoints.

8. "Wells Fargo"

Former Employee - Business Architect in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Architect in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture! Very customer and employee-centric. By staying focused on the customer, Wells Fargo was able to grow income by growing revenue, rather than simply by cutting costs.

Cons

The organization has become perhaps too big to be able to sustain the culture that made it such a great corporation.

Advice to Management

Try to return to the culture of the old Norwest Bank and avoid the major mergers that divert resources away from keeping current customers happy and from keeping up with the competition on innovation.

"Systems Architect"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer/Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stable employment, ok benefits, office in downtown SF.

Cons

technical skills are not rewarded but brown nosing upper management is highly effective strategy to climb corporate ladder

Advice to Management

Technical managers should have a clue about technology. The IT work culture does not attract the best and brightest. It attracts those looking for a 9 -5 job where you don't really need to work hard or be very proficient at what you do. Great place for a slacker who can BS. Allot of dead weight in IT just sitting around and getting in way of any progress for fear of being shown up.

"Solid place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance and interesting jobs. Leaders are working to improve the customer experience and provide services tailored to client's needs. It is making for an exciting environment.

Cons

Large financial institutions do not make changes rapidly since changes can have a pervasive affect. Can be discouraging at times but understandable.