Wells Fargo Reviews in Chesapeake, VA | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be non existent depending on your business line" (in 357 reviews)

• "sales goals were a major part of the job" (in 1254 reviews)

1. "teller"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No more sales which allow you to focus on the customer. Good hours and pay.

Cons

There were truly no cons. The company was one of the best I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

management was amazing. Never worked with a more close-knit group of people before.

2. "Loan service specialist"

Former Employee - Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great job with great people
    They treat employees great

Cons

Long hours and mandatory weekend

Advice to Management

Be sure to praise workers more often

3. "Run far far away from WF BPS"

Former Employee - Payroll Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Payroll Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laptop/ cell phone hence ability to work from anywhere

Cons

Management in business payroll services is unethical, manipulating, pushy and makes their own set of rules which are sometimes against company policy ( specifically the east/ mid Atlantic Florida market)
    Used to be a good place to work in but has become a miserable environment after new managers in this particular area took over .
    Only numbers focused with no regard for clients, rules or corporate policy. Sales reps are actively encouraged to do unethical things to make numbers
    Favoritism a huge issue
    No work life balance and ridiculous turn over
    Nepotism

Advice to Management

Either change your MA/ east coast team or discontinue this lob as it is a huge liability . This lob is not worth the reputational risk that is all but guaranteed to come from business payroll services at WF

4. "Lead Teller"

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet a lot of different people

Cons

Management, dont promote hard work, bonuses for service only paid if you hit unreasonable sales goals, along with many others

"workplace violence and bullying"

Former Employee - Operations and Technology in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Operations and Technology in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros here!

Cons

bullying, workplace violence, bigotry, not an eeoc employer. They don't believe in that!!

Advice to Management

When an employees seeks help for workplace conflict, LISTEN AND ACT!!!!

6. "Its Just OK"

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job is pretty easy as long as your in a good district and meet quarterly incentives.

Cons

If you are in a bad district like I am they are sales pushy and only focus on the sales not so much their employees.

Advice to Management

You should care more about your employees and not so much on sales. Also shouldnt try and penny push your employees....

7. "My Experience"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a huge possibility of growth if everything wasn't so sales like.

Cons

They only care about sales and not so much on team member development.

Advice to Management

You have great employees if you took the necessary time to see weak area the company could be great as a whole.

8. "Corrupt Management, Cheating, Lies and Pressure"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the company has a lot of opportunities, and they do promote from within.

There are a lot of professionals within the company such as business partners (Mortgage, FA's, Insurance, Business etc) that are great to work with. Some of them have been doing this for a long time and you can learn a lot from them if this is your chosen career path. You will meet a lot of great professionals.

The only reason I give this company a 2 is because there are a lot of positions, and the company is growing. If you hit your numbers two quarters in a row, GET A PROMOTION and leave the banker position ASAP. That is your golden ticket. They will hire ANYONE for branch manager if you just hit your numbers, I have personally witnessed this.

Cons

Unfortunately, if you are in a sales/retail job,moving up or being recognized greatly depends on your numbers. Your numbers depend on your location, and the type of management you're under. If you get 'dealt a bad hand', you will have a very hard time reaching goals and getting a promotion. If you have bad management, you will never truly learn the job and it can be a carousel of coworkers because of the very high turnover. It's always best to stay positive and remain that way, and anyone can have stability here if you remain a professional and try to do your best without being a shady banker. I managed it and while some customers didn't like me because I wouldn't break the rules, I kept my integrity intact while I was there and do not regret anything.

Hitting your goals is being above average in every category, and usually this requires a couple quarters to fully understand the system that they grade you on. The best advice I can give you is to NEGOTIATE a high base salary because you never know where you may end up, and in the end if you end up not enjoying the job you won't be utterly disappointed that you won't be reaching certain goals. There are a lot of bankers that do not negotiate well enough for higher pay and are paid significantly less than the medium. Tellers play an important part in sales (believe it or not) and they are the real key to being successful. If you end up with a bum teller line, you may be heading for trouble because you will have to rely on a bad lead system with dialing, and walk ins.

I had the pleasure of seeing first hand some pretty toxic, corrupt management in my district. A lot of people cheat (or 'game') and hide it well. A branch manager was caught doing this for over two years and she was walked out by HR. She literally would open fake profiles, and even had the district manager covering for her so it would appear as if that branch, and more importantly our district didn't struggle. Multiple bankers were involved, and some even got PROMOTIONS from this, while producing these fake accounts. One of them is a Branch Manager today, and successfully cheated to get his job. The sales pressure is easily handled if you have some experience, but you could end up in a very intense micro-management system that does nothing but demotivate the entire team and drive people away.

The turnover rate in my district is astonishing itself, with bankers, tellers, and even store managers constantly leaving because of bad upper management and unrealistic expectations. On top of this, there is a constant battering of 'Why didn't you get this?' and asking you how many appointments you have every hour (not joking). If you new to a high pressure sales environment, BEWARE and do not trust many people because there is a lot of gossip throughout the company. I am sure this isn't true for all parts of Wells Fargo, but from what I have experienced in retail it can be a total nightmare.

There are a lot of people in higher positions that do not fully understand how it really is, and will constantly judge you. You may or may not be centered around great individuals, but like I stated before, it is all about the hand you are dealt. If you get a bad branch or district, most likely you will end up quitting pretty fast. Do not trust many and pay close attention to the interviews (especially with your future branch or district manager). Do not give people the benefit of doubt here.

Advice to Management

Human Resources needs to investigate most districts in Retail Banking.

9. "Numbers Driven shove product at people"

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Management was very good to me
    hours were good
    get lots of holidays
    not much else to say about it...

Cons

Referrals supercede customer service!
     force us to offer unnecessary products on customers

Advice to Management

Need to got back to the basics of banking. Provide good cutomer service and the numbers will follow...no need to shove products down people throats!

10. "Wells Fargo in general is a good company to work for."

Current Employee - Personal Banker I in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With Wells Fargo, there is such a wide variety of career moves one can make within the company. Not only that, but they provide great benefits and discounts to save employees money.

Cons

Upper management does not do a very good job at understanding their employees and learning about what makes the everyday go round.

Advice to Management

Stop caring about how you are going to make your money and spend more time getting to know your employees. Right now our opinions don't seem to matter. Either make a change to your management style, or get out of the business.

Showing 10 of 20,082 reviews