Wells Fargo Home Mortgage Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance was a poor aspect of the job" (in 367 reviews)

• "Can be hard to reach sales goals" (in 1265 reviews)

1. "Been here for 14 of the last 15 years in the business"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well structured and great technology

Cons

Just the fact that we used to take forever to close loans and have to deal with that republican even though it’s no longer the case

"Promises unkept"

Former Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Peoria, IL

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility as it is commission only

Cons

Inability to keep referral partners, lack of leads, favoritism

3. "Home Mortgage Consultant Jr."

Current Employee - Junior Home Mortgage Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Junior Home Mortgage Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, good benefits, changing for the better of employees

Cons

Customer complaints, not a lot of guidance from local management

"Do you really care about keeping good people?"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Holidays off, PTO and that's it

Cons

Executive team only cares about themselves. Will cut anyone anytime to save a buck to increase the stock price and their pay. Everyone feels like it could be their time every day. They also aren't big fans of hiring from within the company across departments, and if it is your department they probably have someone picked so you're out and won't even get an interview. That's if they even list the job when it opens. They'll probably just add it to someone's plate and not pay them more. Seen it happen too many times.

Advice to Management

Instead of saying that you care about your employees and the Wells Fargo family show it. If the stock has to go down a little bit to let your valued staff keep their jobs then let it. Stop trying to prop it up by cutting staff to make the balance sheet look better. You're losing good people because there is no stability and no faith and you've brought in executives with the sole mission of cutting everything and it will have long term negative consequences.

5. "Home Mortgage Consultant"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of oppurtunity to make a lot of money

Cons

none that i can think of

6. "Home mortgage consultant perspective"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have access to our fulfillment partners. Our processors and underwriters are in the same building, and in my case just a cubicle row over. We are paid on units with a tier system per month. Not bpps. Obviously the more loans your close, the more you make. With added bonuses for loyal surveys, and audits, you can add another 40% to your base amounts from your loans as well as getting an hourly pay .

Cons

The compliance issues of what you say, and how you say it are crazy. It seems that sometimes if you breathe wrong, you may be out of compliance and be in the office for counseling. Very strict underwriting guidelines. It seems underwriters are looking for reasons to decline loans instead of finding workarounds to help borrowers get into homes.

"Complete Downward Spiral"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k is 6% match, tuition reimbursement, and other typical perks of the big corporate environment.

Cons

WF execs and upper management are clueless about the environment below them. Ever since all the scandals, they have shifted focus to customers and have completely given up caring about their employees. Employees are suffering big pay cuts, essentially paying for all the fines that WF is being hit with. Morale has hit an all-time low but nothing is being done to reverse it.

Pay is structured now around a lot of factors that are out actually of your control. Anytime you can't control your paycheck, you are going to feel totally helpless.

Typical corporate feedback system - "Your Opinion Counts" is just jargon for "We have to find a way to make it look like we care". Until they actually do something to reverse the downfall, nobody's opinion counts.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Your employees in the front lines are the ones doing the REAL work. Imagine trying to do the work that those of us are doing, while also struggling to keep food on the table!

An average mortgage consultant is supposed to make 70k and most of your current consultants are lucky to make 50k after this scandal. Put the emphasis back on your employees because they DO NOT care about customer service when you don't pay them well.

"Overall great bank to work for but also has it’s short comings like all companies"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for top producers . Matches up to 6% of 401k contributions. Volunteer opportunities that really help others less fortunate .

Cons

No opportinity to move up (no matter how good you are at your job) unless you know someone and are in the “in crowd”.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote based off of ability not who you know. Promoting people that are not qualified only hurts the business line they are promoted in and their subordinates .

9. "Home Mortgage Consultant"

Former Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wells Fargo provided excellent training for the Home Mortgage Consultant position. I learned a lot within the one year time that I was at the company. The management team was interested into me succeeding.

Cons

Wells Fargo Mortgage company in Missouri did not have any down payment assistant programs for people with lower income and people who had credit issues. This limited opportunity to expand into those markets forcing employees to target people in a higher income bracket. The simply didn't care about the little people who's household income was between $50,000 and $100,000 thousand.

Advice to Management

Develop programs that can truly help people with lower income. Focus more on being in the lower income market. They need to diversify into all income area's you never know what that market can bring.

10. "Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard and follow their model you will succeed, can earn good income, need to make their salary non repayable , good rates

Cons

Decisions are made from to high up the chain, very slow for things to change since large corporation, conservative underwriting