Wells Fargo Reviews in Newark, CA | Glassdoor

Timothy J. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons

1. "Competing Goals on the Teller Line"

Former Employee - Teller in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Newark, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get trained for a long time, and there is a lot of procedure you learn that you can apply to future positions. There is a lot of room to potentially grow within the company. It paid my bills while I worked there, and a lot of the people I worked with were really wonderful.

Cons

As a teller they have two expectations, great customer service and high sales. Often the way they want you to go about these goals contradict each other. If a customer clearly doesn't want to talk to you, and certainly doesn't want to be asked questions about their financials then it's hard to get the sale. If you push it, you could get back a "survey" (customer reports on their customer service) which gets the whole store in trouble. If you don't push it, your manager has a "chat" with you about how you have to talk to every customer about selling, despite you knowing there is no need for that customer to have another product.

Some managers are a little more understanding, and will even help you in a tough spot. Others are so worried about the results of their branch's numbers that they will do whatever they can to get there, regardless of the support you need on the teller line.

Advice to Management

I think that the discrepancies between training and real life application of the process need to be addressed between managers and whoever is writing the training material. It just isn't realistic to sell to every single customer.

Showing 1 of 18,096 review