Wells Fargo Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Sometimes difficult work life balance" (in 372 reviews)

• "Can be hard to reach sales goals" (in 1273 reviews)

1. "Consumer Loan Underwriter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and a very good environment.

Cons

Maybe a little to decompartmentalized.

2. "Okay company to work for short term"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Wells Fargo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and a good place to get experience if your first starting off in the banking industry to gain experience. The pay was okay, but the yearly reviews are a joke. I would receive .03% raise after busting my behind for a year.

Cons

Hard to move up since there are tons of employees at Wells Fargo, many whom have vast amounts of years of experience on you. The only way to move up is stay there for along time and hope to get promoted or know someone (since company politics is widely prevalent).

3. "Wells Fargo"

Former Employee - Mediation Specialist in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Mediation Specialist in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent working environment, friendly co-workers

Cons

Low pay, job insecurity, raises below cost of living adjustments.

4. "Multi-decade employee with operations, consulting and management experience in TM."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, development support, generous PTO, volunteer opportunities

Cons

Current internal change can be a hindrance, vast difference in employee experience and opportunities between lines of business

Advice to Management

Support your people, balance workload and opportunities

"Women and minorities beware"

Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology is second to none in the banking world. Comprehensive onboarding training and solid benefits.

Cons

Although the pros listed above are pretty attractive, they lose all meaning when the company culture is unequivocally caustic. At all levels the culture is misogynistic, predatory (towards clients and employees), and at times, downright frightening. I have witnessed overt discrimination, harassment and bullying of women and minorities on a consistent basis. Unfortunately while Wells Fargo purports to have an anti-harassment and anti-retaliation policy, it is well known that reporting these incidents is career suicide, even for those not involved. Subsequently it has created an environment so toxic that it has given me no choice but to seek employment elsewhere.

I came to Wells Fargo from a different bank to work with the elite in Banking and to grow my career. Unfortunately I would not recommend anyone subjecting themselves to this experience.

Advice to Management

Hopefully this offers some additional awareness to the issues and behaviors that are so pervasive in this organization. Please see this as an opportunity for a complete overhaul of company culture.

6. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant people to work with

Cons

Expectations are pretty high for some and lower for others

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the people more and listen to feedback by those that are doing the job

7. "Bilingual wire operations specialist"

Current Employee - Bilingual Wire Operations Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Bilingual Wire Operations Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is Fast pace , multicultural and give chances to volunteer in the community

Cons

its low increase in salary can be a bit discourage, while trying to look for new position.

"Teller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of companies benefits and the opportunity to move up in the branch if you do well. However some of the employees are nice

Cons

Terrible management on all levels. They expect you to sell anything and everything in their product line to customers who most likely don't need it. They have their "development" which is mostly just a time for them to criticize you. Had the worst time working for Wells Fargo, except the wonderful coworkers I had.

"Was something very special once..."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very talented co-workers, best-in-class technology and operations support, total compensation is generous in the industry, and lot's of training and opportunity to grow as a person and a team-member.

Cons

The re-centralization of the decision makers and business lines has limited the companies appetite for greatness. There is absolutely no appetite for risk, and therefore the potential gains are limited.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the realities of what is happening as a byproduct of your centralization efforts. You are losing and will continue to lose truly talented people, and that will absolutely weigh on the future effectiveness of the company. Wells is a much lesser company than it once was, and anyone or leader that rationalizes that outcome as necessary based on the select few that damaged the brand is part of the problem. The hiring decisions being made across the company are at best weak, but most likely really poor. I am sad that the company I loved and invested so much into has become something that I somewhat dislike, and not for the reasons of the masses. You need internal candidates with opposing views to be in the decision making processes. You have simply flipped to the other extreme. What was once a company full of people that thought the same way and didn't have enough quality control in decision making, has become the exact same thing except with some new SR leaders.

"The LITERAL Worst"

Former Employee - Financial Crimes Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Crimes Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO
    Competitive 401k
    Not much else

Cons

After 5 years AND a promotion, I was STILL making less than $15 an hour. They quietly raised the company's minimum wage to $13.50, and I found out that my wages had only been raised from $13.48 to... $13.50. I was FURIOUS. I had been a good employee for five years, and I'd been promoted - my wages should have reflected that. After finally going to my boss's boss's boss, I received a whopping 80 cent raise. I felt like I'd been slapped in the face.
    My boss one time pulled me into a meeting room to inform me a rumor was going around that I had been seen sleeping with a married coworker in the parking garage (a rumor that was NOT true).
    Over the course of three years, I applied 10 different times to the same position (the position above mine), and at one point, a man that I had caught cheating the system and that my manager had asked me to write an in-depth report on how exactly he was doing it, was promoted to the position instead of me. It was literally down to the two of us and they chose the guy that they had asked me to write a report on.
    At one point, I figured out that my manager had asked my coworker (my PEER) to spy on me. If I so much as looked at my phone (which was ALLOWED), it was reported to my manager.
    If you so much as went to lunch with a coworker of the opposite sex, rumors circulated that you were sleeping together
    People were catty and snarky and awful
    Wells Fargo takes advantages of its employees AND its customers.

Advice to Management

Do better? Take some management classes?

Showing 172 of 20,954 reviews