Wells Fargo Reviews | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

4,633 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Fast upward mobility"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

Opportunity to move up is available

Cons

Compensation plan has been changed far too much In a negative manner due to lawsuits

Advice to Management

Relax the paperwork

2. "A Great Place to Work But Ruins by Dysfunctional Management"

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wells Fargo has a good reputation. Offer great benefits (PTO, Medical, 401k retirement, etc). I worked with some very smart people who are also some of my closest friends.

Cons

Company culture is too focus on "what have you done for me lately". Client retention is irrelevant unless accompanied with strong sales, especially in the Chicago office. As a specialist, even though sales in supposed to be 25% of your scorecard, it's not treated as such. Market Director manages by spreadsheet and has no management skill of staff, and essentially creates revolving door at office. Not many staff members stick around more than 4 years. Too much subtle favoritism, sexism and racism take place.

Advice to Management

Focus on becoming the trusted advisor to clients rather than a salesman. Clients can see through it. High level of staff turnovers will not instill confidence in clients to trust your motivation to work with them.

3. "Home Equity Specialist"

Current Employee - Home Equity Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Home Equity Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my mgr and all of my teammates. The work itself wasnt difficult. I enjoyed what I did but not the process it required. We had OT, so we were able make extra money.

Cons

The goals werent obtainable, nothing was consistent, we were held accountable (& faced disciplinary action) for things out of our control (wrong info given during the closing at the brach/attorneys being late for the closing etc) and upper mgt didnt care about us or our input. The dept had VERY high turnover and was never fully staffed.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper mgt, listen to your team managers and employees. Dont have managers in meetings EVERY day for the majority of the day. Consider and implement employee feedback regarding the process, its BROKEN. And do away with the loyalty program or change it so that anything less than all 5s ISNT considered a "fail". Offer better pay & advancement to employees so we can move up. We feel "forced to leave" to progress.

5. "Sales Analyst"

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the drive and motivation to move up the corporate ladder, then Wells Fargo is a great choice.

Cons

Too much work to complete in an 8 hour work day. Burn out comes fast!

Advice to Management

Keep sales performance expectations and work load realistic.

6. "Wfhm ac"

Pros

Good benefits, sympathetic managers, ok pay

Cons

Limited salary advancement. Small bonuses for lower level employees

7. "It's what make you make it."

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn how the banking world and finances work.

You learn how money works and it wakes you up to starting ideas for your own business.

Lots of connections come through the bank and if you have good customer service that could be big for you when talking to those connections for future jobs or even a side job.

Good benefits.

You can also invest in stocks in the company as an employee.

Sales Incentive pressuring has taken away to focus fully on customer service. (Biggest Pro).

Cons

This isn't a job for someone in their late 20s unless you enter the company as a banker or higher.

This company hires and promotes very young (hires at 18 years old), so If you want lead tellers or bankers that are younger than you who don't know how to talk to older people with respect trying to tell you how to do your job then this isn't for you. (Biggest Con).

They also create "Dictator" managers instead of the "Hands on, help my team out" managers.

Starting out wage raised from $12.00 to $13.50 which it was only raised to match their competitions wages at entry level positions. This raise did not effect anyone higher than tellers. It was also given during the big scandal bust of all those reported fake accounts made.

It takes too long to be promoted out of the teller position, they say a year but you'll watch their favorites get prompted before you even if they came after you. If they do promote then the person is young.

Every branch doesn't follow the same ruling, so what you learn at one branch can be wrong at another or they just don't do what you learned at all. So the training is not interchangeable from branch to branch.

There's 4 different managers and oh boy, if they all aren't on the same page it gets really really bad.

ANYTHING the company does that hits the news and its bad, customers will view you as a part of it rather its your branch of not, rather its in your state or not, your a part of it. You get a bad rep. (Currently dealing with this)

In the public eye right now Wells Fargo isn't trusted. Lots of people have been closing their accounts due to the big scandal and because of Wells Fargo's political standpoints.

Advice to Management

You guys should look at age when it comes to certain positions because younger people trying to train in and coach someone older than them is NOT WORKING AT ALL. It creates very BIG conflicts especially when those younger people don't know how to talk with respect to older people. There should not be that many managers and managers should NOT be trained into dictators. Dictator kind of leaders NEVER get things done how it should be and if they are done correctly those managers have made someone else mad or frustrated in the process or the whole teams chemistry is the greatest because of those kind of managers and their ways of going about things. a lot of us work 40 hours and still have to get second job and with a financial company 2000 branches big across the nation we shouldn't have to do that. Some of our competition's entry level teller positons start out at what lead tellers make. There's nothing to measure performance (doesn't have to be sales based) on customer service to get promoted other than the words of the managers, this creates that favoritism because it leaves all changes of promotion on how your relationship is with the managers. What if its a split? 2 managers for you and the other 2 against you, how are you supposed to be promoted then? One of the interview questions is "where do you wanna be in 5 years"? I honestly don't see myself in a longevity career with Wells Fargo anymore seeing how things work and have gone.

8. "Mortgage Underwriter"

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, team member relationships, can move up within the department

Cons

Poor Management, better training classes

9. "Executive Resolution Specilaist"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

People you work with, learning capabilities

Cons

Too much work not enough employees, micro-managed, no support from management

10. "Ok company, high turn over"

Former Employee - Loan Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Loan Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, plenty of support from mangers

Cons

Lay offs happen all the time, pay not the best at lower levels

11. "It's OK"

Former Contractor - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Central FiDi location
    Good work/life balance
    Friendly colleagues

Cons

Repetitive work
    "Production" mentality - #1 objective is to grease the squeaky wheel
    Limited information flow - not kept in the loop about what's going, the bigger picture - had to piece together from colleagues

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on rebuilding trust with customers, and I'm sure the ship will correct itself just fine

Showing 4,633 of 15,735 reviews