Wells Fargo Reviews | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

14,852 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Strong Company with lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wells Fargo has great benefits (PTO, Medical, 401k retirement, etc) and opportunities for career advancement. My fellow team members are like a second family.

Cons

While career development is encouraged, you still have to own it. They do provide resources to help along the way.

Advice to Management

Be sure to keep future focused and provide the resources when and where needed.

2. "Nice Entry-point"

Pros

Solid entry point for professionals looking to break into the industry.

Cons

Hierarchical and can be very rigid when it comes to pay flexibility and recognition of talent.

3. "Auditor"

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

large organization so you get opportunities to learn a lot

Cons

work can be redundant and lost easily in such a large organization

5. "Mortgage UW III"

Pros

Good team atmosphere at the center.

Cons

Training was not very helpful.

6. "Fun but Not a Career"

Pros

Great training, I liked the people i worked with. "Selling" checking accounts and credit cards honestly is challenging but somewhat rewarding. Customer interactions are nice for the most part.

Cons

Despite how the "professional" environment and the fact that you are dealing with great amounts of money, it is just a retail store. Nothing to aspire to. I feel bad for the people who want to make a career at a WF retail branch. Some of the verbiage we are required to say to customers is puke worthy. For example "Is there anything I can do to make sure you are 100 percent satisfied with WF?"

7. "Ethically Uncomfortable"

Former Employee - Online Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Online Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable Job
    Always Hiring
    Promotes from within
    Training is thorough and detailed
    Hours are flexible and there is a variety of shifts.

Cons

While working here, I worked as a online service specialist. I helped people with navigating and using the website and was able to help a lot of people. I felt very ethically uncomfortable while working as a online services specialist here because you were expected to attempt to sell extra products (Loans, Accounts, Credit Cards, Insurance, etc) to the members you helped on every single call. Wells Fargo believes in wanting to ensure their customers financial success... with them. This means that they feel the more products a customer has with them, the less likely they will be willing to leave the bank and go to another competitor. This includes offering credit products to members who you can see are living paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to apply for more credit. Members who may not have a good credit score and need to work on their credit, but to send them over to a salesman to apply for a credit product that may show up on their credit report as an inquiry and not be approved for it. You don't have to get those hard sales, but are expected to do what's called "soft sales" and gauge customer interest and if they say it's something that they would be interested in or they could see benefitting them, then you were expected to get them over to a salesman. If they were unable to talk to a salesman at the current time, then you were to mark that they were interested so they could be asked about the product again next time they call in. I didn't feel it was acceptable to offer products to people that didn't need them, especially if they were only calling in for help with using the website. On top of the sales, Well Fargo charges outrageous fees to their customers for almost everything under the sun (They even have a fee of $12.95 for moving money from your savings to your checking for you which is called a Overdraft Protection and most credit unions offer that service for free.) and then when they have customers that are truly struggling and could use the $15-20 they charged for a fee, they refuse to refund the fees. I had to plead with managers to refund fees for me when I had customers who were struggling and my heart felt for them so much. You have to be a really cold person to work at Wells Fargo for so long and not feel like you're contributing negatively to people's lives. After quitting my job here from the toll it took on my mental health (and physical because I gained 30 lbs in the 8 months I worked here from stress eating at work since that's the only thing you can do while on the phone, I cancelled all accounts with Wells Fargo and recommended to all my friends and family to do the same because this company does not care about it's customers unless you carry above $500,000 in your accounts. They only look out for the wealthy and everyone else is a drop in the bucket to them. If you need a job and have no other options, I would recommend applying, but I would honestly recommend working in fast food before working here because that's how emotionally, mentally, and physically draining this place can be.

Advice to Management

Start to care about your customers that aren't rich a little more.
    Update your business model to actually be appealing and helpful to customers, instead of the mentality that "The more accounts and customer has with Wells Fargo, the less likely they are to leave us." Cause it sounds like you don't really care how much you screw over your most loyal customers.
    Update your departments so that when customers call in for help with online navigation and using the website, that's the service they can expect without constantly being hit for an offer on a new product that could "potentially benefit them" while it benefits you more than it does them.

8. "Challenging work"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy challenging work, you might get it. it may depend on team to team so can't speak for all, but my experience was good.

Cons

i had good experience, nothing much. would be great if workplace environment is less formal

9. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Home Mortgage Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no employees, only team members. The heart of the company is very customer centric. Every person is given the opportunity to succeed in their role.

Cons

Often they are playing "catch-up" to competitor's innovation primarily in the technology sector. Change has to move faster and the old processes must be retired.

10. "Operations Analyst"

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

Great full time employee benefits package

Cons

No cons to mention at this time

11. "Lead Teller review"

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Provo, UT

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company in terms of training and they really want to help promote you within the company.

Cons

Wells Fargo recently changed the starting pay for tellers to $13.50 which is only $0.50 less than what they typically pay lead tellers who are often helping train new tellers.

Showing 14,852 of 15,450 reviews