Wells Fargo Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Timothy J. Sloan

1,108 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Business Banking Specialist"

Current Employee - Business Banking Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Banking Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great benefits, 401k. employee partnerships

Cons

-company is not expanding at the moment
    -reputation

Advice to Management

have to do a much better job of changing its growth model and keeping employees motivated

2. "Lots of re-orgs..."

Former Employee - Applications SYSTEMS ENGINEER in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Applications SYSTEMS ENGINEER in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stable environment
    depending on the division/group - minimal overtime
    good benefits

Cons

big corporation environment
    not the newest/latest technology

3. "QA Analist"

Former Contractor - QA Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Former Contractor - QA Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good team.
    Interesting project .

Cons

Frequent changing team members .

"Merger madness"

Former Employee - Database Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Database Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment that crosses business lines and company divisions and allows sharing of best practices from those who have already laid groundwork. This minimizes the need to "recreate the wheel" when building similar internal structures or products being considered by other functional groups within the bank but outside that immediate banking group.

Cons

Standardization of bank policy for all employee functions, as well as HR rules and regulations by publishing "cookie cutter" procedure manuals throughout all banking groups. Exceptions are deemed as unacceptable and limits each groups' specific work environments which often need some variations in policy to function effectively.

Advice to Management

Creativity and collaboration were hallmarks of the pre-Wachovia merger at Wells Fargo. Work-life balance used to be a value that allowed latitude for employees to complete projects and manage work hours accordingly, even if work sometimes had to happen after regular business hours. Everything is standardized and governed by procedures and no-exception policies that sometimes limit work-life balance to just a 9to5 time slot.

"Worst place to work"

Current Contractor - Senior Technology Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Technology Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can tell - Except, it's so inefficient that you can technically do nothing as long as you send out some reports which nobody reads or understands.

Cons

Top to the bottom is cons:
    1- No respect for employees
    2- Management is focused on their career than the operation
    3- Boring environment with no recognition

Advice to Management

Stop working on your career at Wells which has nothing at the end, and do something good while working.

6. "Software engineer"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Fremont, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Developer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

No cons that I feel

7. "Wells Fargo Advisors - Client Associate"

Former Employee - Registered Client Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Client Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything good to say about this company.

Cons

The advisor I worked with was dishonest, abused discretion and charged excessive fees and commissions. When I approached management with my concerns, I was initially dismissed. I returned to management 10 months later as I observed the advisor putting the firm at risk and lacking sound judgement. The managers went on the defensive, they criticized me and targeted me for any infraction (i.e. accused me of lying on my timecard). I returned to work after PTO and found that they'd replaced me and moved my desk to the other side of the office. But no one told me -
     the manager avoided me. I was being punished for bringing a concern to management, through the proper channels. I met with HR several times, they were incredibly apologetic and the advisor was subsequently fired due to his malpractice. It was awfully stressful and I decided to resign when it was all said and done. It's clear that speaking up and whistleblowing are not appreciated in this firm - even though this is what we're trained to do. The WFA division is separate from the retail bank but the culture and corruption is pervasive. Do not take a job with WFA if you can help it!

Advice to Management

Bring in some fresh managers - change the culture - enthusiastically lead the firm with integrity and honesty!

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Crimes Consultant in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Crimes Consultant in Concord, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture, flexible work, great leadership, great time off

Cons

Pay is sometimes lower than peers, medical benefits lacking

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

9. "Working with the team was very fun."

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team was extremely nice and fun to work with. I’m the beginning when I didn’t know anything, almost everyone was trying to offer their time to teach me.

Cons

Management needs to have better communication skills. The bank also needs to make sure that the managers have adequate training and are QUALIFIED for their position.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees in a sincere way. I could tell that it’s all a facade easily. Sit down with your bankers and tellers. Come to the morning huddles to discuss and listen.

"House of Cards"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, processes and collaboration are fairly buttoned up. PTO, diversity and generally high calibre Team Members. Many Team Member support activities.

Cons

The title says it all. For years I worked with this overwhelming sense that I could not really trust the organization. I could not put a finger on it. I was not alone in this - there were many very talented people who ultimately did not want to 'play the game' - a game where the school you went to was more important than the ethical ground you stood when it came to prioritizing customers first. Silent toxicity. Yes, a company needs to look at the bottom line. Yes, growth is an implicit and necessary goal to sustain an organization in the competitive environment. But at what expense? And how many amazing Team Members were managed out because they raised concerns, on her executive level? Quite a few.

Ultimately this was a house of cards. A classic covertly narcissistic organization, that had a very nice window dressing - a branding / PR image of purity and wholesomeness.

That honestly, is the most dangerous and dysfunctional kind.

And any means to rectify the reputational hit from last summer should now under scrutiny.

Advice to Management

Read the cons above. However, am not very confident that you'll really open you eyes. Money does speak. As stewards of money it's imperative that ethical values be ingrained from the inside out (recall our reading of Covey's 7 Habits - or was that just lip service?) - Clear out the top management and really examine the values if you want to sustain the brand. And consider the possibility that 'top' school graduates may not (always) be the best input in strategic planning. Listen to your customers - really listen and really care. The Millennials are much smarter that's you think.

Showing 1,108 of 18,060 reviews