Wells Fargo Senior Technical Writer Reviews | Glassdoor

Timothy J. Sloan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be non existent depending on your business line" (in 356 reviews)

• "No "product sales goals" have been replaced by "branch growth"" (in 1253 reviews)

1. "Contract Consultant at Wells Fargo Capital Finance"

Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There's a great team spirit in the particular group where I worked. As a consultant I normally expect to work in a cubicle. Instead I was given my own office (great for those times when you want to sneak a quick nap!) It's a laid-back place with a bottomless coffee maker and a giant TV always tuned to CNN or ESPN, where we'd all meet casually during the day. At any moment during the day I could hop downstairs to the supermarket across the street for a yogurt or a Starbucks or a banana. This particular branch is located in Santa Monica with a parking garage downstairs. I never felt as if I was working in a bank because there were no tellers. This particular branch did nothing but lend money. Some of the sums lent were staggering -- e.g. $1.8 billion(!), $50 million, and so on. You could make your own hours, come in when it was most convenient, leave whenever you wanted, so long as the total added up to 8 hours. And of course there are nothing but good things to be said about Santa Monica--the climate, the California lifestyle. Now that I've completed my contract I know I'll miss the place and the people.

Cons

In the time I was at Wells Fargo, I wrote 22 installation manuals totaling more than a thousand pages. My only complaint was that they did not invite me to participate in the programming sessions. Technically, it was not necessary for me to sit in on those sessions, but normally clients ask me to sit in on those sessions as a courtesy. That's what enables me to expand my knowledge of IT. It was a great assignment, they gave me excellent reviews, but the job did not lead anywhere.

Advice to Management

The "Cons" I just entered above can serve as advice for managing future consultants.

2. "Technical Writer"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work. That is all.

Cons

Just about everything from remarkably poor leadership at every level of the organization to poor pimple satin by industry standards. My current role pays 35% less that than the national average for similar roles as posted on Glassdoor.com.

Politics are far beyond normal and expected organizational politics. Management breeds a culture of fear and back-stabbing in a clique-filled world. After 30 years of dealing with organizational politics, this place is the worst cluster of incompetence and otherwise bad leadership that I have witnessed.

Annual pay increases are limited to 2%, And despite the pay level, this is a non-exempt position with no bonus. Given cost of living increases, I make less today than I did when I started three years ago despite three raises during that time.

If you are not "in" the right clique, opportunities for advancement are minimal.

Advice to Management

Management is tone deaf from Tim Sloan down to the low-level supervisor. They make a show out of the WF Vision & Values and none of it is genuine, as evidenced by the community banking ripoff last year in which millions of customers were violated and they have no legal recourse beyond the refund of the money if which they were defrauded.

Did manag mention figure out there was a problem after they fired the 50th employee fir thane thing? How about the 100th firing...or maybe the 1000th employee that was fired for opening an unauthorized account might make tipped them off? It did not. Aggressive sakes quotas continued and thousands more were fired before the story broke.

A few people climbed the management ladder due to their "success in cross-selling community banking products," which was the origin of the scandal. One eventually was fired. One was allowed to resign with $119 million.

And they wonder why the stock price, like team member sentiment, is down.

"Sweat Shop"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New facilities, decent parking, conveniences on premises if you're able to take lunch to enjoy them.

Cons

I was warned and chose to ignore. 12 hour days or longer become expected within 2-3 months. I assumed a company of this size would have phenomenal training. Wrong. We were told to Google tutorials or videos to learn software. Very stressful environment with a ton of turnover. Get the salary you want going in because you'll get minuscule raises for meeting or exceeding performance standards.

Advice to Management

Google the words "training" & "work/life balance".

"Lotsa praise, lotsa trinkets, low pay"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Concord, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance
    Flexible work schedule2
    25+ paid time off days
    20 paid holidays
    401K Matching and profit sharing
    Respectful co-workers and management
    Quiet environment

Cons

WFCC notoriously under pays their employees, no matter how hard they work or how long they've been at the company. I have been with the bank 16 years and am not even paid at mid-range. You can negotiate until you are blue in the face and you will be politely but firmly told "No."Customer support is the least valued division of the company even though customer support is essential to retaining customers and attracting new customers. Also the culture encourages indirect communication. If you have a problem with a co-worker, you cannot address it directly with him/her, you have to go to your manager and your manager will talk with the co-worker's manager. This encourages a lot of tattling.

Advice to Management

Allocate funds more generously to your customer support division. A pat on the back and cheap company trinkets do not pay the bills or adjust with the rate of inflation. Show me the money!