Wells Fargo Reviews in Sugar Land, TX | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance was a poor aspect of the job" (in 367 reviews)

• "Can be hard to reach sales goals" (in 1265 reviews)

1. "It had a great working environment"

Former Employee - Teller in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Wells Fargo is a very well known brand and it really stands out when mentioning companies. The work environment and management was also top notch and the rewards are fair.

Cons

While working as a teller, you are encouraged to push for a lot of sales for new products and opening accounts. It can be stressful at first but once you get the hang of it it's all reflexes

Advice to Management

There really isn't much advice to give as a teller because I understand that you need to push for sales in order to build the business and for their own recognition too.

"You'd better have great sales techniques for this job..."

Former Employee - Teller in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't think there is even a pro, really. You can have a job with them and get paid. Basically it.

Cons

For every little mistake you do, your manager will like you less and less. I wasn't being trained correctly and I really didn't feel like I was a part of this branch's "clique", which I didn't want to be a part of. They even made it known that I wasn't part of their clique. It was hard to try to keep up with responsibilities when they really didn't show an interest in helping you.

Advice to Management

I would say to stop pressuring people to make sales. It was awful having to resort to calling my parents to get a sale and my mom even said, "no".

3. "Started well for the first year then it went downhill"

Former Employee - Teller in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand-name recognition
    Good place to meet other people
    Company matches percentage of contribution to 401(k)

Cons

When I started working for Wells Fargo back in 2010, I was very excited to be part of a growing company as it was absorbing Wachovia. Back then sales goals were very reasonable and easy to meet. By the time I had left in 2012, the atmosphere had become beyond unbearable. Every year Wells Fargo increases its quarterly sales quotas, but at the same time makes it harder for employees to meet their sales quotas such as having the customer actually use the product/service within 45 days. With such difficulties, it is not surprising to see many employees lying to customers. Like many reviews here, lower management only focuses on the volume of number of sales. It does not matter if there are no customers coming into the "stores", but employees are still expected to meet their numbers. Promotion is only based on sales numbers, and not true leadership skills or any relevant competencies. If employees are not meeting sales quotas or getting all 5s on the insipid "wow!" system, they should expect to be micromanaged until they are forced to quit. None of my co-workers who were still there a year ago remain. Employee turnover rates are very high. Customer service has been reduced to an oxymoron at Wells Fargo.

Advice to Management

A system that only rewards employees for sales numbers is not only short-sighted, but unsustainable. Such an approach only encourages lies and deception on behalf of the employees. Its current approach now seems more akin to Wal-Mart rather than a respectable bank. I would not be surprised if Wells Fargo will face another mass action lawsuit on behalf of customers and employees.

Showing 3 of 20,588 reviews