Wells Fargo Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Wells Fargo CEO Timothy J. Sloan
Timothy J. Sloan
  1. System engineer

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Good place to work. Good team

Cons

Nothing to mention as it was a good place to work

Advice to Management

Please focus on reducing single point of dependency

Good and bad

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Huge company, depending on "where" you work, it can be fulfilling.

Cons

Huge company, apparently no matter "where" you work (unless you're at the top of the ladder), it will not be incredibly rewarding. Quarter after quarter for years they reported record earnings and from the very top they congratulated employees on a job well done. But when it came time to show their appreciation, even with a stellar performance review, they gave small raises, not even keeping pace with inflation most of...

Advice to Management

Don't brag about all the money being made and then not share it with those that deserve it.

Large Corporate Bank - WF

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

The PMO does a good job of allocating the proper resources for all the IT related projects. There is a team effort and very minimal need for "red tape" since all the processes are well defined.

Cons

The on-boarding process was not very smooth, it took well over a month to gain all the required software and access needed to be able to actually work. There is also a slow pace at adapting to newer technologies due to legacy systems, lack of technical expertise, and the overall size of the enterprise. The former leadership from the east coast management team is lacking integrity. I had a great opportunity, but because...

Advice to Management

Fire the Management leftovers from Wachovia and put someone in charge who actually has leadership skills and integrity.

Great people, good technology, horrible beauracracy, broken management, repeat.

I worked at Wells Fargo for more than 2 years

Pros

Fine technical people, good resources, good perks - even for contractors, reasonable expectations

Cons

Slow processes, workers stuck in silos of anti-invention, many boring meetings, duplicitous management (especially senior), slow to adapt

Advice to Management

Get a clue that some people really don't like to be re-orged 4 times in the 18th months I was there. My manager - a long time employee - ended up back under the same senior manager he had when I began my stint there: a great guy who never listened to him... That gives you a clue. Empower and leave workers responsible. Micromanaging and, even worse, management which doesn't listen, is the end of life!

Whim & Fancy

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

It's a growing and stable company.

Cons

Salaries are average Equipment, growth, culture and policy varies as per manager's whim and fancy. Some managers walk very fine line between discrimination and differentiation sometimes between policy and law Too many meetings

Advice to Management

More diversity needed in middle and upper management especially in Technology group.

6. Good co-workers, challenged management

I worked at Wells Fargo for more than 2 years

Pros

Good projects, easy timelines, smart co-workers

Cons

Endless (meaningless) phone meetings; process so slow, if I worked at 33% capacity it looked like I was overachieving; workers siloed into meaningless jobs; server bloat to the excess.

Advice to Management

Take 1 or 2 layers of management and retire it.

Unhappy Employees

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Employment, which is a good thing in the current economy. The company name looks good on a resume.

Cons

High stress due to tyrannical micro-managers, roadblocks, red-tape, politics, finger-pointing, and CONSTANT fire drills. Long hours, unplanned weekend and holiday work (which is unpaid) getting dropped on us frequently on Friday afternoons. No opportunity to transition out of narrowly defined job roles. You are basically stuck in what is called a "silo" until that technology or job is retired, at which point...

Advice to Management

Senior management is totally disconnected. If you really want to know what is going on, talk directly to the engineers. NOT to the engineer's manager's manager's manager.

8. Too big.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Good benefits and decent compensation. The work isn't too difficult. There is a certain amount of freedom granted (ability to prioritize and perform work how I want to, as long as the goals are met).

Cons

It's just too big. There is no way to be recognized for advancement when there is virtually no face-to-face contact with management. The work itself can be brain-numbingly repetitive. On this particular project we've been averaging 50-60 hours per week for over a year, and as a thank you, given a bag of jelly beans and told that we can't let up, we'll need to keep working just as hard.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like indentured servants... if you have too much work for your staff to handle in a 40-hour week more than half of the time, hire some more people rather than burn out the ones you have. Also, implement a better recognition program, or something to retain good workers. I honestly feel that of the several places I've worked, there are the least amount of "best and brightest" here.

Found 8 reviews