Welocalize Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell
Smith Yewell

Pros
  • As a contractor, I could work from home and liaise with collegues based in other parts of the world through the Internet (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with, very multinational (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • you might not have a job the following (no job security) no benefits because they don't let you work for a full 90days in a row (in 9 reviews)

• No career advancement, no benefits, no job security (in 6 reviews)

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire the best. Offer training. The work is hard but the atmosphere is very friendly and helpful. A real sense of being in a team.

Cons

Long hours. Time zones. Learning curve.

Advice to Management

None right now.

"One of the more interesting companies in the industry"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I have been in two other companies in the industry. I was looking for a new challenge and landed at Welocalize. Compared to the other two companies where I worked, Welocalize is ahead in more areas than behind. The standout is the people with a flexible and open culture followed by the company's approach to technology.

Cons

Compared to the other two companies, Welocalize is a little behind in their training program. The on-boarding is fast and furious with a lot to learn. Those on-boarding steps could be a little better paced.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture, it is the best I have seen so far.

"Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Andover, MA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

The dress code is very casual, if you like that. Some very nice and smart people, although none are to be found in the management team

Cons

The worst Dickensian sweatshop environment I've ever seen. Dishonest management, constant broken promises, poor infrastructure and support, penny pinching to the extreme. Owned by private equity squeezing every last fraction of a dollar out of the employees.

Advice to Management

All of you should quit. This company will never get better while you are in charge.

"Starting to wish I stayed at my old company"

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location. Exposure to the big buyers in the industry.

Cons

Onboarding program is virtually nonexistent aside from a library of training videos. Basically everything is left up to you to figure out what you need to for the accounts you're assigned to. This is especially difficult because there is very little continuity from account to account so not many people have relevant knowledge to share with you. For example, the same tools are used differently on different accounts and there's no real core workflow to learn and build up from. Teams are disjointed and it's hard to determine who is responsible for what and who is available to help you. I've also noticed trying to find coverage for your time off is basically up to you as there is no cross-training and/or the place is grossly understaffed (or employees are just expected to do the work of many without wanting time off).

Advice to Management

See cons. Also, I was warned about turnover before starting here. Within weeks I saw two projects managers leave, heard horror stories about previous employees not lasting 2 months, and even had clients ask why turnover is so high. After only a couple months I am the most "senior" person on an account. I fully understand why turnover is an issue and it doesn't seem that it's an issue the company cares to address at its core.

"Great diversity and openness."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very diverse workplace with different cultures, people and ways of doing things. You can be yourself.

Cons

On boarding new staff still needs work. There is a lot of learn on your own. Some of the training material needs refresh.

Advice to Management

The environment of people being able to express themselves openly is great, keep it up.

"They're making the right moves to better the company and industry"

Current Employee - Enterprise Program Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Program Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welocalize is agile and flexible in an industry that has for too long accepted archaic methods as "standard." Senior management and executives are willing to make ballsy changes in order to improve how we serve customers. Welocalize has shown to really care for their employees, and are making strides in trying to improve work/life balances, and offer perks.

Cons

Sometimes one can feel a little whiplash by how quickly things can change, but it goes along with Smith's motto of not being afraid to fail and learning from it. Such a different company than when I first started many years ago, and it's a great place to be now.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people; if you don't invest in them, and they are the ones selling your business to customers, then who do you have left? There have been drastic improvements, but it's not something you fix once and are done; it's a constant process.

"Constant change and constant learning"

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great vision, excellent co-workers, interesting people from around the world, strong leaders, fast paced, learned a lot, opportunity for more responsibility is good and very fast paced, made many friends for life, strong values, opportunity to see the world

Cons

rapid fire changes that sometimes miss the mark, long hours, lots of travel, too much to do and too little time to do it! rapid pace sometimes causes confusion, communication at some levels is not clear

Advice to Management

The vision is good, stay true to it, communicate more often

"Great company, professional coworkers"

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication is very important to develop mutual relationships between the clients and vendors. Welocalize has been known as reliable localization agency by the clients and vendors. The name we can trust.

Cons

Hourly rate is relative lower but still considerable.

Advice to Management

More reward programs.

10. "Great People - Sub-Par Leadership"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Welocalize (More than a year)

Pros

The general skill level of the operations team is quite high and the willingness to support colleagues around the globe is amazing.

Cons

Not a single person on the leadership team has experience leading a company this size. They struggle with strategic direction, often changing directions only a few short months after announcing the latest flavor of the month plan. The PM platform is one of the weakest in the industry.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with clients, prospects, and your colleagues. Learn from them and then find ways to solve their problems.

11. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Welocalize full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open, quick growth, freedom, trust

Cons

Need to improve company culture, keep the company staffs more like one close big family

Advice to Management

Put more efforts to build unique company culture