Wentworth-Douglass Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 49 reviews

4.0
Wentworth-Douglass Hospital CEO Gregory J. Walker
Gregory J. Walker
Pros
  • "Good benefits (HealthEquity Cards)(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management and no support for staff(in 2 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

My experience as an employee at WDH

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

WDH is a wonderful place to work. Throughout my career, I have worked at 4 other hospitals. WDH is the best of them all. Every organization has its opportunities for improvement and WDH is no exception, but the wonderful thing about WDH is that leadership tackles these challenges rather than pushing them off to another day or hiding them. I enjoy coming to work every day as the people I work with make my job meaningful...

Cons

Growth is a hard thing. The con is much like the con of most other organizations. Our reputation and level of care has created such a growth for us we have outpaced the number of staff we need. We need more clincal staff to continue to provide the excellence in service and optimal outcomes that we have become known for.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire beyond a budget, especially in areas which provide patient care. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your patients. A happy employee is a happy patient. In all things, put the patient first. Doctors and nurses may care for the patients, but if you make decisions based on doctors and staff you will miss the patient.

2. Respected hospital

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital full-time

Pros

Magnet status community hospital with high quality care

Cons

Lots of changes and transitions while being merged with MGH

3. Very good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, NH

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great location, excellent co-workers, pleasant environment, always staying on top of technology

Cons

Starting to lose the small city feel and becoming more corporate

Advice to Management

Look closer at actual work being done and give more credit to those doing it the right way without making them beg for it.

4. Medical Laboratory Scientist

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Dover, NH

Pros

Good Retirement benefits and pay rate.

Cons

not much opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage

5. Supported by leadership, surrounded by compassionate coworkers, and encouraged for the future.

Current Employee - Learning and Development Manager in Dover, NH

Pros

Evidence based best practices in both clinical and non-clinical settings. Growth opportunities for every individual. Community focused organization.

Cons

With growth and advances comes change, and sometimes at a rapid pace.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The employees appreciate your willingness to listen, understand, and support the challenges every healthcare worker is feeling.

6. Employee

• Overall

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

It came as advertised during my interview. A lot of organizations talk of work/life balance, but WDH lives it.

Cons

Technology - HOWEVER, there are fantastic upgrades and implementations happening!

7. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Staff RN in Dover, NH

Pros

Hospital looks like a hotel, all private patient rooms, and easy parking. Nursing team is fantastic, team oriented, and friendly!

Cons

Terrible staffing- unapproved vacation time because unit can't staff the floor, management does not support staff in any way, no communication between doctors and other consulted doctors/teams, and terrible nursing pay for a Magnet hospital. Not a lot of respect for nursing from Doctors, nurses for the most part are not included in rounds/ care-plans, or given any pertinent information such as "patient is going to surgery...

Advice to Management

Support and listen to your staff. If there are staff members who are unsafe in their practice time and time again, replace them, don't keep giving them chances to change, patient safety is at stake. Advocate for your unit for better staffing, and stop allowing the unit to be a drop off for any patients especially psych /behavioral patients who end up staying on the unit for months on end, with lack staff to provide proper...

Wentworth-Douglass Hospital Response

July 26, 2018Workforce Development Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and for sharing your experience. We're sorry to hear of your experience and we will pass your feedback along appropriately.

8. Medical Assistant-Clinical Lead

Current Employee - Clinical Lead

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

I have worked for Wentworth-Douglass Hospital for 10 years. Exceptional patient care and a strong committed leadership group.

Cons

No cons, large opportunity for professional growth

9. Great place to work!

• Overall

Pros

Leadership listens, they care about patients, and they care about staff.

Cons

They are running out of space

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the great things you're doing

Top notch hospital

Current Employee - Surgical RN in Dover, NH

I have been working at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital part-time for more than a year

Pros

fantastic staff, community feel but very innovative and cutting edge services. Management well aware of the importance ofwork life balance

Cons

need for expansions and EPIC training 2019 will be challenging

Advice to Management

keep up with education support for staff

Found 49 reviews