Wesleyan Church Reviews | Glassdoor

Wesleyan Church Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2019

3.1
Wesleyan Church Executive Director Russell Gunsalus (no image)
Russell Gunsalus
1 Rating
  1. "Strong Denomination with clear vision"

Former Employee - Associate Pastor in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Wesleyan Church full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the vision, direction, and leadership of the denomination! It is clear, but not rigid. It is also grace-filled, but still true to its holiness roots.

Cons

Some of the restructuring will determine how things go at the district/regional level, but they have always run smoothly in my experience and I suspect will only improve.

Wesleyan Church2019-04-05
  2. "Run Far...Run Fast"

I worked at Wesleyan Church full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked in the publishing house of the Wesleyan Church. Only good thing was that I was in my field and editing daily.

Cons

Low pay. Hostile work environment. Very catty and confrontational coworkers. No leadership or communication.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what goes on in all departments. Don't just listen to those to suck up to you. And pay fairly.

Wesleyan Church2016-10-25

"Great place to work, albeit in transition though"

I worked at Wesleyan Church full-time

Pros

Great staff to work with. The people and staff are lovely to be around, especially this house of worship. The congregation is wonderful and worship services are incredible.

Cons

Senior leadership is in transition and is progressing well. As the leadership brings in more staff on board that will help Heritage Wesleyan Church, the atmosphere of change should subside and church vision become more clear for the staff and church as a whole.

Advice to Management

Try and work bottom up with more input from congregation, entry level and mid level staff. This should put to rest any doubts as where Heritage Wesleyan Church is moving towards.

Wesleyan Church2016-08-15
  4. "Great environment, poor supervision"

in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wesleyan Church for less than a year

Pros

The organization provides fair pay, great benefits, and an overall positive work environment.

Cons

No room to move up, severe micromanagement. There are two primary roles in the organization: Assistants and Directors. Assistant cannot move up unless they are ordained as ministers in the Wesleyan church. Directors have little to no supervision in how they manage their employees. I had to report my every move (even going to the restroom) to multiple people. I had three direct supervisors. The management got in the way of me doing what I was hired to do, and I was miserable. I was treated great personally but managed very poorly as an employee. The job was not at all what I expected it to be from the interview. The overall atmosphere is positive, and there are some perks to working there. The hierarchy felt ridiculous sometimes.

Advice to Management

Provide more accountability to Directors in their employee management. Let others do what they were hired to do. Respect everyone's ideas and contributions. Provide room for assistants to move up.

Wesleyan Church2016-05-12

"People go above and beyond to welcome you and offer assistance at every turn"

Current Intern - Information Services Intern in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Wesleyan Church for less than a year

Pros

I am working an Intern position. Every single person I have met here including the head superintendent has been very welcoming. Many have asked how the position is and are the guys in my dept. treating me well. They in fact do treat me great. I have been asked if there is anything they could improve upon. My honest answer is no. No question I have had has gone unanswered. I can't rate the salary. I have no idea what they are, just mine and as an intern it is as expected.

Cons

Wesleyan Church is a non-profit, it is a church. They fall under some different guidelines about religion. They have monthly chapel, morning prayer services and the like. They have prayer rooms. This is not a bad thing really. However, if you are not the religious sort, you might feel uncomfortable. They will NOT hire you if you don't state you are Christian. Additionally, I was asked questions about my feelings on sexual orientation and abortion on the application. This might not be a problem, it is just not something you are accustomed to seeing on an application.

Advice to Management

I have little to offer here, my experience has been wonderful.

Wesleyan Church2014-07-25