Wesser Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Martin Wesser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working and living in a team"

Former Employee - Charity Fundraiser in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Charity Fundraiser in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at Wesser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free house lots of support and training Travel to different cities

Cons

Difficult to have personal time have targets to meet or contract terminated

Advice to Management

Allow candidates to go home after training to pack before moving to allocated house

2. "Charity Fundraising"

Former Employee - Charity Fundraiser in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Charity Fundraiser in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Wesser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess it might not be for everyone but honestly I loved this job! It's great if like me you end up in a house with fun people. In the sunshine it's amazing, in the rain not so much but I guess that's what you expect with an outdoor job in Britain.

It's a really social role and the company organise lots of events outside of work so you're always meeting new people. The training they give is really solid and my team leader was great, gave me tonnes of support and made me feel welcome.

They pay is decent, I was worried at first that it might be commission but you get paid hourly and get bonuses if you do well too. The house we were living in was dead nice (and free!) too.

Cons

As some of the comments show it's obviously not for everyone but really I think it's down to whether you're good at the job. Some people who came into in my team couldn't handle the rejection you get on the doors, which is understandable but if you just have a laugh about it it's not that bad. It can be hard work at times but the company go out of there way to make it comfortable and fun so can't really complain. The internet in the houses was a bit slow sometimes.

3. "The things they don't tell you..."

Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Wesser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The house we lived in was lovely. Rooms big, full equipment, minus Wi-Fi. Was about a 7 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere. However, I hate to think of how much the rent was, coming out of the charity.

Cons

Morally, I disagree with Wesser, I was told by my fellow employees that you have to force sales. Be persistent. Nag. You get told if you don't get enough sales, not donations. Then you'll go home. Which is the case. Be prepared for one day off a week, and you'll work up to 60 hours just to get your targets. Yeah, money is good, but you'll work all the time. You'll get rejection, and crap from your team. It's just not worth it at all.

Advice to Management

I'd like to live with and of had a manager that was CRB checked as I felt uncomfortable living with my manager. Support your staff, and give better training. There are no rewards. The whole wesser thing is a scam, just don't waste your time. Advice? get a new job. I don't know how you all comfortably sleep at night. Rejection training? yeah, that's what I'm on about. Teaching how to harass people at the door basically.

May 12, 2017 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback, however, we would like address a number of false statements, some of which have been reported to Glassdoor.co.uk.

- The live-in fundraising model utilized by the... More

"Wesser - Review from an experinced angle"

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

Pros

To be fair to this company they do try very hard as a direct marketing company to support you in what is normally a very hard business. The general outlay is clearly very thought out as I have worked in the other end of the spectrum where you are self employed and have to front it all yourself, where as at Wesser this is not the case. You are employed - with an hourly rate. I never had any problems with it, I'm sure you will see people that say they didn't get paid, that's probably because they didn't work. They also look after you very well. You live in a house completely free of charge (all your bills included) as well as if you are a drive they pay you to be a company driver. all your traveling costs are looked after and generally a very nice and easy going company. They also will fund you in other life ambitions - so if you want to learn to drive or learn Spanish or even go off and do something else they will subsidise it.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say about this company, most of the bad things put on here have been down to personal experience - some said about fines witch made me apprehensive but they fines are only their if you break something etc etc . .

Advice to Management

from previous experience not just from Wesser but other place I have worked to, I think maybe at interview stages it should be a little more rigorous as this will filter out people that may waste time or maybe are not for this sort of trade as so much time and money is invested in each individual.

5. "Be fully aware of what you are getting into before starting, it's not for everyone."

Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser

Pros

- I ended up with a really good team, in a nice area, with a good house
    - It was very flexible as a student summer job
    - They pay you some advances running up to your payday
    - Training was just how I liked it, thrown in at the deep end, but with plenty of support if necessary
    - All of the higher up staff I met seemed like good people, friendly, helpful, approachable, including Martin Wesser himself
    - You will meet lovely, interesting people on the doors
    - Went through an excellent St John Ambulance First Aid Course at a seminar

Cons

- No Wi-Fi in the house, absolutely essential, especially in areas with poor cellular coverage
    - I wasn't told I had to pay £10-15 for petrol every week prior to the induction, you will likely need more than the £100 they reccomend you take if you factor this cost in
    - There is constantly an ominous threat looming, that you will potentially have to leave the very next day if you haven't been meeting your targets
    - This company does have a chequered history (search for the two Sun articles from December 2015 about Wesser) which I wasn't aware of prior to starting ~ although they have restructured the training and put an emphasis on more ethical fundraising, the presentation they push for is still quite salesman-like. It seems the bonus/targets system is still set up based on the 'old way' they did fundraising, so don't expect any bonus' soon after starting, unless you are a complete natural

Advice to Management

WIFI is an essential household bill, especially in areas with poor cellular coverage, it would also have helped being able to view Google Street View to see the area the team plans to knock prior to leaving the house, saving time when out in the car.

Please tell people prior to induction about the weekly petrol charge.

6. "Ideal for a student summer job"

I have been working at Wesser part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent part time job for a student during the summer months.
    I am currently a uni student and this is my second summer working with Wesser at their office in Letchworth. I've been working with the lovely recruitment department in a fun, fast pace environment. Everyone is the office is friendly and Martin is the kindest boss you'll ever find who remembers the littlest things even me being a temp!

Cons

More parking available around the office would be an added bonus if it was available.

7. "Door to door fundraiser"

Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in Exeter, England (UK)

Pros

Confidence builder and a good way to get into sales

Cons

Training was horrible and they blame you for not performing even though I was top of the assessment class and I'm an extremely confident individual.

Advice to Management

Enforce daily training, no one does it.

Oct 10, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience.

We employ over 500 fundraisers per year and feedback of this nature is uncommon.

Our... More

"The ideal student summer job"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Wesser full-time

Pros

Working for Wesser meant I could effectively abolish my student overdraft, as well as get enough experience on my CV for years to come.

The people you meet are top notch: I was leading a team in Hull, working with people from as far as Germany, China and all parts of the UK. The lessons it teaches you in regards to dealing with people, whether on the doors or in a 24/7 team environment, are second to none.

The incentives are great, with regular company seminars offering professional development and fun leisure activities all the way.

Pay-wise, it rewards the best the greatest by far, with its top performers earning more than double your average new starter. For that reason, be prepared to throw the kitchen sink at this job with as much time and energy as possible!

Cons

The work/life balance can be practically non-existent. Whilst there's no real way of mitigating this, especially as it's a live-in job with unsociable working hours, you need to be prepared for it. Be sure to get on with your team, bring distractions if necessary, and top up with lots of mobile data in case the team house you're sent to doesn't have WiFi!

More generally, prepare yourself to be far removed from home. The geography of being in a team house in another region, combined with the unsociable working hours, will make it difficult to maintain relationships and see family and friends. Before you go, make sure they all understand the kind of work environment you'll be committing yourself to.

You do, unfortunately, meet some unsavoury characters on the doors. If you're thick-skinned enough, this should be fine and easy to laugh off. If you're not, then use this as a character-building opportunity. None of the occasional abuse is personal, and says far more about them than it ever will about you.

Advice to Management

The current changes are steps in the right direction. However, don't alienate your fundraisers with a brand new, untested presentation that you had them come up with very confusingly at seminar. Unify and simplify the script/approach, and bring your longtime performers up to scratch one by one. In short, much more performance coaching is needed right now.

9. "Horrific"

Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wesser full-time

Pros

Working for a great charity, get to meet some amazing people.

Cons

No work life balance. Bullying managment .

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO your managment are terrible they don't know how to treat people and have lost touch with reality.

Sep 5, 2016 – Marketing

Thank you for your feedback.

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience.

We employ over 500 fundraisers per year and feedback of this nature is rare.

Our fundraising... More

"A good looking future.."

Current Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in Newton Abbot, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Door to Door Fundraiser in Newton Abbot, England (UK)

I have been working at Wesser full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fantastic company to work for, they truly respect and look after their staff with their "well looked after" policy. I've worked with Wesser now for 7 weeks and they are one of the best companies I have worked for. You get to live in a nice house rent free with other team mates who are great people, do a job that isn't physically all that demanding, you meet hundreds of people a week, get paid a decent wage and can earn more depending on how well you do, and to top it all, and most importantly - you are raising tons of money for a fantastic charity. Having been to a company seminar this weekend I can also say with honesty and assurance that they also take honesty about their business and integrity and working practices very seriously, and from what I have heard this weekend I know for a fact they are a company that strive to better themselves and desire to be seen as the best, and want to be seen as one of upmost integrity.

Cons

It's a target based job. And you can meet some not so pleasant people when doing your job. However this is well outweighed by the positives, and it's more than achievable to exceed targets - and you definately meet more nice people than unpleasant. Internet in the houses would be very helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Keep doing what you do best and keep adapting to what is required and keep that amazing goal, purpose and vision to be the best!