Cover image for West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.
Logo

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.

Engaged Employer

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.

Add a Review

3.8
West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. President and CEO Kevin Steiner
Kevin Steiner

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and so is the atmosphere and culture(in 24 reviews)
  • "Pay was decent for an entry level job.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Great Facilities and Dining(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great people(in 5 reviews)
  • "Nice building and grounds.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "It’s made abundantly clear that management cares more about a buck than you as an employee.(in 12 reviews)
  • "No work/life balance.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Employees are expected to know all the policies and their stipulations like the back of their hand, then the managers come in and magically bend the rules as is the policy is solely a guideline.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Disconnect between upper management and mid(in 6 reviews)
  • "The company needs to realize that even the most amazing culture does not make up for their refusal to pay a market competitive wage.(in 5 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. and is not affected by filters.

Oct 25, 2023
      Software Engineer
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is good I really like my teammates and they are starting to integrate new technologies. Minimal consultants

Cons

Lots of technical debt unfortunately

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and leaving a review. We're happy to hear about your positive experiences!

1. 2.0
        Nov 9, 2023
        Software Engineer
        Current Employee, more than 3 years
        Business Outlook

Pros

Nice building with plenty amenities, including a subsidized cafeteria. The grounds are also lovely with nice hiking trails. They want you to feel comfortable in it. Good benefits, such as health insurance, 401k match (if you stay through December 31st), and a fair number of holidays and PTO days. If you fit into an in-favor clique, don't mind getting walked on, or can be a yes-man, you have a chance doing well. Good company (with bad management). Could be a good first job for IT. The internship program is well run.

Cons

There's lots of talk of a bedrock of a relationship culture, but they have a name for the brand of bullying, "West Bend nice", and it's not meant in a nice way. A longer description for it would be time travel to 1950's company, with middle school bickering, with an alcoholic teacher who can only slur at the students to be nice. Management style is old-fashioned: commands come from and blind obedience is expected. At the same time, re-organizations are almost constant and the buzz words are modern. Managers are generally lacking in emotional intelligence. They've brought in "Living as Leaders" consultants, but all that's doing is turning managers into clones of each other who give the perception of having a conversation but without them saying much but at the same time not listening. It's almost funny to see the progress over time. The basic vision of selling insurance is there--providing peace of mind for policyholders--but beyond that the vision and strategy is very chaotic. That, combined with the old-fashioned management style, includes an IT project management style where everyone is nothing but a notetaker for someone later in the process. Control freaks everywhere. Advancement is a tool for subservience, despite finally have a skills chart. Work outside your pay grade is just an invitation for more work outside the pay grade and repeated delays for promotion. The business moved on from relying on a revolving door of IT consultants, but hasn't grasped that associates can't be treated as poorly. Not diverse in ways that can be uncomfortable even to people who aren't a visible minority. Very little trust. Ask a question in a private group chat, and you'll likely only get responses in a direct message, so lots of tribal knowledge that is managed with buzz words. Even less trust across silos. To repeat, over reliance buzz word management style. It's one thought terminating cliche after another.

2. Join the West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          Sep 15, 2023
          Claims Technician
          Current Employee, more than 8 years
          Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great and so is the atmosphere and culture

Cons

I can't think of any

Thank you for sharing your feedback and taking the time to leave a review!

Jul 25, 2023
            Workers Comp Claims Adjuster
            Former Employee, more than 8 years
            Business Outlook

Pros

Very good benefit package Salary is competitive Many other benefits to their employees

Cons

Management of Departments No favoritism

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and help us make our company an even better place to work.

Aug 10, 2023
              Underwriter
              Current Employee
              Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for professional development and advancement

Cons

Insurance is a tough market right now

Thank you for leaving a review and sharing your thoughts with us!

Aug 8, 2022
                Personal Lines
                Former Employee, more than 3 years
                Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are the associates you work with. You become great friends with them and form friendships.

Cons

Be aware. When you first start out at West Bend, everything seems perfect. The moment you get an advancement to a higher position, the micro management is too extreme levels. The management that they have are not well trained and they will scrutinize and judge every aspect of your job. Any anxiety or mental issues that you have will be laughed upon. The company likes to say that they care about their employees, however, they really don't. Sending a pretzel in the mail is not a way to satisfy employees. Especially after all the money they saved during covid. There was a lack of remote work, however, after losing very dedicated employees due to this, they are now hiring remote, which is a joke. Very unorganized management. The company is looking to grow on extreme levels, and with that, the culture of West Bend Mutual is going down the drain. They just care about numbers. The amount of work is too extreme and the pay they offer is well below average. After working for this company, I can definitely say that I would have been better off with a different company. One that doesn't laugh at their employees and makes them feel like a number. Also, diversity is non existent. All females and all conservative.

Apr 13, 2023
                  Senior Internal Auditor
                  Former Employee, more than 1 year
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Great products, experienced business leaders. Systems are better than they realize. Promotions from within, kudos.

Cons

WEST BEND way or the highway. Over 45, your contributions are irrelevant. Management lacks emotional intelligence to lead. HR presents as supportive of team improvement strategies, not reliable.

1. 2.0
                    Nov 17, 2022
                    Commercial Underwriter
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Kevin Steiner (President) is a great leader. Benefits are above average and pay is fair. Facilities are also very nice and secure.

Cons

The CL Underwriting department has changed dramatically. Turnover is very high due to employees being overworked and under appreciated. The company is expanding way to fast and cannot staff the department properly to keep up with the growth. Also, opportunities for advancement are unfair due to extreme favoritism and politics. Lastly, management lacks empathy.

Mar 28, 2023
                      Underwriter
                      Madison, WI
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of my co-workers were pretty cool

Cons

The OG is getting pushed out and new is brought in to forget how great it used to be. Favoritism. Micromanagement. No work/life balance. No diversity. Up and coming corporate leadership.

Apr 9, 2023
                        IT Intern
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Very growth oriented management focused on giving real world experiences.

Cons

Working remotely can make you a bit isolated at times.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and feedback with us!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 139 Reviews
                      </>Embed

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. Reviews FAQs

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 152 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. to a friend and 67% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

68% of West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Project Coordinator

I have applied for a Graduate Financial Planning Analyst & and I have been invited for an assessment& interview, but when I looked back on the JD I have just noticed that they ask for a 2:1 degree , but I have a 2:2 ( due to some personal issues I had 3rd year) However in my CV the I didn’t mention my grade and during the application process I wasn’t asked. What do I do now? Just let the hiring manager know about directly or mention it during the interview first thing? Whats best solution?

0 Comments

Graduate Student

Hi! Looking for some advice regarding hiring processes. I completed 2 interviews with the company and they emailed to say they "want to put me forward for the job" and asked for references, passport, and for me to do a background check. I didn't hear anything for a week, so then emailed to check on my application status. They responded saying they would get back at the end of that week. Its been 2 weeks since. I emailed last week to ask for an update and have not received a response. Thoughts?

6 Comments

ComEd

Got booted from my former position about 4 years ago, which I LOVED. I have the impression I was "kept" in sympathy. Now that I have my feet beneath me, I feel like I'm running in place. Over the past 2 years, I've probably applied for about 100 positions in other departments. True, a few were unlikely moonshots, but for the most part I didn't misrepresent myself. Am I the world's worst interviewer? Otherwise.. shouldn't I have been accepted elsewhere, by choice?

4 Comments

Glassdoor has 152 West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. reviews submitted anonymously by West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. is right for you.