West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. President and CEO Kevin Steiner
Kevin Steiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company is very stable and open, benefits are excellent, on site fitness center and cafe is among the best in SE Wisconsin" (in 8 reviews)

• "Somewhat flexible with work hours" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is absolutely no work-life balance in loss control (unless you don't mind falling way behind)" (in 9 reviews)

• "If you are in IT, you absolutely do not want to work at WBMI" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent place to work"

I have been working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company in growth mode and wonderful people

Cons

Not really anything bad to say

Mar 13, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you very much for your review. Your feedback is appreciated!

2. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in West Bend, WI

I have been working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome building, and great people

Cons

Con that is actually a Pro - great environment means people don't often leave, which makes it hard to move up.

Jul 6, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We’re thrilled that you’re enjoying your time with us!

3. "a solid place to work"

Pros

Growing company with plenty of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Not a great work-life balance.

Dec 5, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We really appreciate it! We would value your specifics about work-life balance so that we can work to improve. Please email us at... More

4. "Argent loss control offers NO work-life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time

Pros

Argent has many outstanding employees, smart and willing to help any time. Loss control, underwriting and claims communicate well. Loss Control is varied and an interesting job.

Cons

There is absolutely no work-life balance in loss control (unless you don't mind falling way behind). The burden of work is impossible unless you work over 60 hrs/week. Also be wary, they will lowball you on salary if they can.

Advice to Management

They know the burden they put on their employees but they don't care. Their goal is to overwork you as long as you are willing to put up with it. Turnover is preferential to fixing the problems

Nov 1, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to read of these concerns. We’d like to learn more. Please email us at hresources@wbmi.com. Thank you!

5. "Greedy leadership"

I have been working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time

Pros

Free coffee and cheap lunches

Cons

The upper management couldn’t care less about the people under them.

Oct 22, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are disappointed that you’re unsatisfied and would like to learn more. We would encourage you to email us at hresources@wbmi.com with some specifics that we... More

"Run, run now"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Madison, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits plan is okay
    Middle management seems to care
    New facilities

Cons

Almost everyone on my team is in fear of losing their job. There is literally zero job security. Underwriting seems to lose an underwriter or two every other week, and the agents have noticed. Middle management seems to genuinely care, but it means little since the VP is a giant bully with zero respect from any of his subordinates. The entire organization has no trust for it's employees, which manifests itself in an endless cycle of referring work items that don't even get genuinely reviewed. The endless turnover means that workflows are managed very poorly and that results in everyone having to contribute way more work than is even necessary to adequately do the job. The company is trending down because anyone with experience has been fired or left. I've given up on making friends at work, because there is literally no point. You will not enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Fix the turnover issue now. It is crippling the company and the agents have noticed. Half the agency partners don't even know who to call. If you want to keep the existing employees even half way content, you'll need to start promoting within. It's apparent that you have no trust in anyone that works for you. Trim the fat, because your VP's are mismanaging their departments in a way that is legitimately gross.

Jun 5, 2018 – West Bend

We genuinely appreciate your feedback. Thank you. We would like to learn more from you, would you be willing to email us at hresources@wbmi.com?

"A Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Underwriting Technician in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Underwriting Technician in Middleton, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, and time off. Nothing extraordinary, though.
    Treats in the office
    Casual dress code
    Somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

If you want to work somewhere that has cultivated a negative, fearful atmosphere, this is the place for you. Lots of turnover, high school cliques, favoritism, pressure to move up the company ladder, mandatory overtime (that they describe as "encouraged," but it really is mandatory), managers on power-trips, etc. I wish I would've left much, much sooner! This place is bad for your mental health and work/life balance. If you don't want to eat, sleep, and breathe NSI, don't work here.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like children and being so condescending. Stop working people to death and threatening to fire those who actually want to have a life outside of NSI.

"IT Intern"

I have been working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and great culture.

Cons

Not much outlook for the program and for interns in general.

Advice to Management

Have a better outlook and program for interns.

Jan 24, 2018 – West Bend

Thank you for your feedback. Due to recent changes in our IT methodology, we are planning for some exciting changes to our IT internship program. We will be ready with those updates for Summer 2018.

9. "WBMI"

I worked at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time

Pros

WBMI has a nice facility

Cons

IT department is poorly managed

"Good old boys club going strong"

I have been working at West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most mid-management and coworkers genuinely care. Facilities are phenomenal.

Cons

Senior management is like a cast from high school. If you’re not a part of the popular club, you’re nothing. You’re not a part of the club if you’re not male, a golfer, or a kiss up. CEO has his fingers in the tiniest details...shows how little faith he has in his managers and employees in general.

Advice to Management

Get out of the weeds. Bring all divisions together as ONE company. Take a CLOSE look at a few of your VPs...those bullies have no respect from their teams.