West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.0
West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. President and CEO Kevin Steiner (no image)
Kevin Steiner
Pros
  • "Company is very stable and open, benefits are excellent, on site fitness center and cafe is among the best in SE Wisconsin(in 8 reviews)

• "campus great(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Depending on the position, the work/life balance can be rough(in 11 reviews)

• "Micromanagement from middle management types that are no longer referred to as managers(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee
      Featured Review

Excellent Internship Opportunity

Jan 11, 2021 - Software Engineer in Eau Claire, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helpful coworkers. Great benefits. Nice offices. Culture of comradery.

Cons

Experienced permissions issues during the first portion of my internship. (Company was still transitioning to remote work at this time)

West Bend

Thank you for the feedback on your internship experience. We are thrilled you enjoyed your time at West Bend!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work

May 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-Workers are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Good work-life mix. Executives keep everyone updated on the company direction.

Cons

Long drive to and from work. Especially in the winter months.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Toxic

Apr 9, 2021 - Underwriting in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Casual dress code and Starbucks on-site

Cons

The main computer system is wildly unreliable. Expect it to go down at least twice a week. There are too many “workarounds” to even keep track of. The work-life balance is absolutely wretched. Salaried employees can expect to work overtime consistently. Toxic, gaslighting management: for example, if the workload is too high, it is seen as a a problem underwriter not managing their time well, rather than hiring adequate staff for the workload. There is tremendous pressure to meet goals, with very little reward in it. Some folks aren’t getting merit raises because they “make too much” compared with the national average. There are no extra PTO days to earn and only a small bonus if the entire company meets their goals. Benefits leave a lot to be desired. The health care deductible is very high and doesn’t guarantee anything will be covered once you do meet it. Everything, at the end of the day, is about the almighty dollar. It’s made abundantly clear that management cares more about a buck than you as an employee. Management is very out of touch with the day-to-day workings of their employees, and they do not accept outside criticism or suggestions. There is not a lot of room to move around in the company. If the management doesn’t like you, you won’t get promoted. They definitely play favorites unabashedly.

Continue reading

West Bend

Thank you very much for leaving your detailed feedback. We admit, those things were hard to hear, but we are committed to looking into them and appreciate the time it took for you to share! If you have any other details you’d like us to know about, please email hresources@wbmi.com.

4. 5.0

Great Company!

Apr 21, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits. They truly care about their employees.

Cons

We are sometimes understaffed which can cause extra hours needing to be worked regularly

West Bend

We appreciate your comments! Thank you for leaving your feedback. We encourage you to discuss workloads with your department leadership so that we can address work or staffing issues quickly. Thanks again!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

West Bend Mutual

Mar 30, 2021 - Scrum Master
      Business Outlook

Pros

On-site gym, great benefits overall, great work environment

Cons

Workload, not a good work life balance

West Bend

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We acknowledge that maintaining work/life balance can be challenging depending on projects and workloads. We strive to provide ways to minimize those challenges and encourage you to discuss your specific work situation with your manager to find a solution that works for you. If you have any specific suggestions for us, please email us at hresources@wbmi.com. Thank you!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome

Mar 14, 2021 - Claims Representative in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, cares about staff.

Cons

None, overall a great company

West Bend

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re so pleased that you’re happy with us! Thank you!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Professional with 20 plus years

Feb 18, 2021 - Senior Claim Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

None that I can submit at this time

West Bend

Thanks so much for your feedback! We’re thankful for you!

8. 5.0

Best Place to Work

Jan 27, 2021 - Softwere Engineer in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Profit Sharing Great 401k match and % of Salary contribution yearly Flexibility Culture Employee first mentality

Cons

Corporate Red Tape Working toward Agile but oftentimes I see waterfall Some parts of the business not embracing newer technology

West Bend

Thanks for sharing some specific feedback for us! We appreciate it! Transitions to new processes or technologies aren’t always easy, but we’ll take a look to see if we can help ease people into those.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Feb 1, 2021 - Product Owner in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership and co- workers

Cons

No cons- great place to work

West Bend

We really appreciate the time you took to leave us a review! Thank you! We’re thrilled that you’re enjoying your time with us!

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Managers are a cool kid's club, and you're not a part of it.

Feb 21, 2021 - IT Developer in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

401 match Annual bonuses Stable company/systems Friendly coworkers Good technology

Cons

Rough work/life balance High turnover rate Pressure to return to office Low upward mobility Absent management

Continue reading
      3 people found this review helpful

West Bend

We very much appreciate that you took time to leave us a review and to provide some specific things for us to work on. Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything additional to share, please don’t hesitate to email hresources@wbmi.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews