KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.

Engaged Employer

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co.

Add a Review

West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 17, 2021

Found 13 of over 101 reviews

4.2
West Bend Mutual Insurance Co. President and CEO Kevin Steiner (no image)
Kevin Steiner
Pros
  • "Company is very stable and open, benefits are excellent, on site fitness center and cafe is among the best in SE Wisconsin(in 8 reviews)

• "campus great(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Depending on the position, the work/life balance can be rough(in 11 reviews)

• "Micromanagement from middle management types that are no longer referred to as managers(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Jan 17, 2021 - Information Security Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life balance; great benefits; learning opportunities.

Cons

I have found no cons so far.

West Bend

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review; we appreciate it! If you have any additional pros or cons to share, please don’t hesitate to discuss with your manager or with HR. Thanks again!

2. 5.0

Definitely recommend!

Dec 27, 2019 - IT Specialist in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing facility, great benefits. Great walking trails on premises too!

Cons

Depending on the position, the work/life balance can be rough.

West Bend

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We really appreciate it! If you have an specifics about how we could improve work/life balance for all roles, we'd welcome an email to hresources@wbmi com.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Go somewhere else for IT job

Aug 12, 2019 - IT Developer in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good experience for your resume to move on somewhere else, 401k match is good

Cons

Terrible management, constant reorganization, no work life balance-they will use you up then throw you away, too much turnover, no training, no consistent path for advancement

West Bend

We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to give us a review. We will take your feedback to heart and work on improvements. If you have anything additional to share, please email us at hresources@wbmi.com.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Really a great place to work!

Feb 17, 2015 - IT Associate in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome campus, great customer service, opportunities to work on new things, inspiring leadership, great benefits West Bend is a jewel in southeastern Wisconsin. The management is concerned about being a good corporate citizen and doing the right thing for its employees. The senior leadership is very approachable and is willing to listen to what everyone has to say. I work in the IT department, so I'm always impressed that people like Kevin, Dale, Tracey know the names of almost everyone in the building and will take time to talk to anyone about their ideas and concerns. The management works to provide work life balance. When you need to take time off for an appointment or to attend an event for your kids, they are always accommodating.

Cons

There is lots going on in IT today. With a bunch of older systems being replaced, there can be times when there is more work that hours in the day.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

a solid place to work

Nov 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growing company with plenty of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Not a great work-life balance.

West Bend

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We really appreciate it! We would value your specifics about work-life balance so that we can work to improve. Please email us at hresources@wbmi.com.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Challenging, fast-paced work environment - but still one of the Best Places to Work in Wisconsin.

Mar 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Location, I maybe one of the few that love not being in a big city. There are so many different ways to get to the office, traffic is rarely an issue for me. The campus is impressive. A few examples are; medical clinic, workout facility with a staffed trainer, bank, amazing café’, walking trails and beautiful artwork. Compensation plans, benefits and bonus programs are generous. We also have a casual dress code except for days the Board of Directors is in the office. Senior Leadership is accessible and very approachable. The CIO even stopped to introduce herself to my parents when they were in the office for lunch. Mid-Level Leadership cares about their teams. They make every effort for work / life balance within reason. There is a program offered called ‘Work From Anywhere’. This allows for associates to work from home, the Middleton office or the Pewaukee office one or two days a week, depending on the specific tasks for positions. Leadership is very flexible with family appointments, start times and associate needs to ‘be away’. Training offered to the associates is abundant. It is up to the associate to expand their knowledge and expand their skill sets, you just need to ask. West Bend is a very collaborative environment, leadership wants input from all involved. Understand that there are times recommendations get by-passed, but all options are listened too.

Cons

IT is in a transformation stage, but for the better – which adds to the pressure to be successful. Many legacy systems are in a state of ‘end-of-life’. The need to support and manage the legacy apps along with the new Policy Administration System has put many associates into regular extended hour situations. Change is never ending and demanding. Once we complete the larger system changes, and configurations settle down it will get back to normal.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Culture of Fear

Feb 19, 2018 - Underwriting Technician in Middleton, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, benefits, and time off. Nothing extraordinary, though. Treats in the office Casual dress code Somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

If you want to work somewhere that has cultivated a negative, fearful atmosphere, this is the place for you. Lots of turnover, high school cliques, favoritism, pressure to move up the company ladder, mandatory overtime (that they describe as "encouraged," but it really is mandatory), managers on power-trips, etc. I wish I would've left much, much sooner! This place is bad for your mental health and work/life balance. If you don't want to eat, sleep, and breathe NSI, don't work here.

10 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

It is a high pressure environment with little potential for advancement.

Jun 10, 2011 - Programmer Analyst in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's one of the biggest employers in Washington County. It is a respected company in the P&C insurance industry and attempts to be cutting edge in its technology.

Cons

It is a high pressure environment with little potential for advancement. You are just a number here, a tool to be used by upper management to advance their own agendas. It used to be a great place to work back in the 90's. Management has grown in size and increased the disconnect between it and the employees. The work/life balance is gone.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent employer!

Feb 26, 2017 - Wc Claims Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Small family like environment. You are a person and not a number. Great, approachable management, great bonuses. Outstanding work life balance.

Cons

Less vacation than a national carrier. Base pay could be more in line with a national carrier, but the trade off for work life balance is worth it!

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Argent loss control offers NO work-life balance

Oct 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Argent has many outstanding employees, smart and willing to help any time. Loss control, underwriting and claims communicate well. Loss Control is varied and an interesting job.

Cons

There is absolutely no work-life balance in loss control (unless you don't mind falling way behind). The burden of work is impossible unless you work over 60 hrs/week. Also be wary, they will lowball you on salary if they can.

3 people found this review helpful

West Bend

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to read of these concerns. We’d like to learn more. Please email us at hresources@wbmi.com. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews