West Chester University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
West Chester University President Christopher Fiorentino
Christopher Fiorentino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great coworkers and relaxed work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Great department, good benefits and salary (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I really have no cons since it was the best job I had while at school (in 4 reviews)

• upper management consistently and letter those in lower positions receive an opportunity (in 3 reviews)

1. "Graduate Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in West Chester, PA

I worked at West Chester University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Role details change by department, but overall the hours are very flexible and the staff is very directed toward achieving specific goals.

Cons

The environment can be somewhat political. The focus on research and empiricism is frustrating. The goals that are established are usually rigid.

Advice to Management

Focus on the advancement of the university toward a future vision and don't get hung up in terminology or literal rule interpretations.

"Worst mistake ever"

I have been working at West Chester University full-time

Pros

Something to put on your resume. Paycheck.

Cons

There is a particularly cruel flavor to the employment caste structure due to the heavy unionization of the institution by multiple unions. Be aware that the benefits, salary, health insurance, time off will be not be equal. It is particularly apparent if your position lands you in the AFSCME bargaining unit where you get less vacation time, less rich benefits package and you have to work 5 years longer than everyone else in the institution to qualify for retirement. Salaries at the lower end of the AFSCME scale are not living wages.

Managers will always take care of themselves and their friends, neighbors and family members. There is nepotism on a grand scale, really unlike anything I've ever seen. Hard to believe that every wife, husband, or cousin that is hired was the best candidate. Really hard to believe.

The distributed leadership management model is a disaster but there is no acknowledgement that there needs to be change. Upward mobility is a myth unless you are connected to the hiring managers. The Social Equity division needs to up its game. People need training just on the basics of respect for their employees of different races & faiths. The people in the trades who come into the building to do work should be at the top of that list & should be aware that even if they think they are not being overheard? They are.

Advice to Management

Provide diversity training to your employees & managers. Abandon the whole fantasy of distributed leadership. Hire the most qualified candidates & give your own employees a legitimate career ladder.

3. "WCU Marching Band Trailer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at West Chester University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was extremely friendly and very positive. They were all involved throughout the entire process and helped immensely in terms of bringing their vision to life.

Cons

Only cons were out of their control, it was hot in the unventilated metal truck, but we all knew that would happen so no issues to really speak of. If you don't love the work it isn't great because we worked 10-12 hour days every day.

"Recreation Attendent"

I worked at West Chester University part-time

Pros

Good job for students. Works well with your schedule.

Cons

The scheduling was very disorganized. On multiple occasions staff was either low or high because of scheduling miscommunication.

5. "Part Time Security officer."

I worked at West Chester University part-time

Pros

You keep your days and management tends to be good about giving you your days off.

Cons

It is the night shift.

Advice to Management

Do something for the students who work as employees at the university part time.

"Great place to work if your a tenured manager"

I have been working at West Chester University full-time

Pros

There are not really many things that I can go on about. I would say that the benefits are great and your connected politically, this is a a gravy train

Cons

if your not on the inside politically, just hope you have a good manager.

Advice to Management

Objectivity and non bias is the best way to treat people

7. "Adjunct"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at West Chester University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great student population. If you are full time adjunct (4/4), you have health insurance (bust must pay cobra during summer time.)

Cons

No matter what your level of instruction is, no matter how long you have been teaching, you are paid the same. Administration is unorganized and slow.

8. "Great place to work and grow professionally"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at West Chester University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere on campus to share ideas and develop programs to educate future leaders. Access to receive advanced degrees.

Cons

Parking near your office is sometimes tough, but there is always a spot you can find.

West Chester University Response

May 23, 2017 – Human Resource Associate

Thank you for the positive response. We are working on the parking and hopefully by next year we will have another parking garage built.

9. "MEh"

Pros

you could do homework and chill

Cons

The management was absolutley terrible in my department

10. "Friendly coworkers"

I worked at West Chester University full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, job security

Cons

boring, no growth opportunities