West Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

West Corporation CEO and Executive Director Tom Barker
Tom Barker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • West is a call center environment and therefore can have demanding hours and goals (in 29 reviews)

• On call can be demanding even with the emphasis on the work/home life balance from upper management (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"SVP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are West's greatest asset. We work hard, but have a good time. It is rewarding to be part of team that consistently accomplishes great things.

Cons

Like a lot of companies, West is in the midst of a digital transformation, which can be difficult at times. But this transformation will form the foundation of our future success.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for creative ways to attract and retain talent. Stay the course on digital transformation.

West Corporation Response

May 3, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking time to write a review of West, and thank you especially for your dedication and service to the organization. You have undoubtedly been through several transformations over the... More

2. "I love my job and it is worth it's weight in gold."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Davenport, IA

Pros

You have the ability to be at home with your family and still bring income into the home. You get to set your own schedule and take time off as needed. The pay is not spectacular but once you figure in the cost of an outside job it is well worth it. I have also always been paid promptly and correctly.

Cons

The pay is not great and sometimes it is difficult to get hours. Also sometimes the help system is not helpful at all. There are no benefits such as vacation or insurance but that is to be expected in a situation like this.

Advice to Management

Review some of the reps more closely and weed out the ones that don't perform up to par.

3. "West the place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Niles, OH

Pros

The best thing I can say about West is the fact that you get lots of time off if you need it. If you do good for a pay period you get 2 hours of unpaid time off (UTO). When you get out of training, you automatically get 16 hours of Paid Time off (PTO). You don't have to use it, but you can if you choose to.

Cons

the hours can be difficult for new hires

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees.

4. "Best Supportive managers."

Former Employee - Data Service Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Data Service Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Good Team work and supportive manager

Cons

Pay scale should be raised.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay as well/

"Great money and job"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Reno, NV

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros to working for West you have the chance to move up fast and make a ton of money. You just have to pay attention to the training you are taught I been there 4 months and love my job. Yes this does require some hard work everyday on your part but what job doesnt every job out there requires some hard work at some point. Look into it and if you refer a friend get a bunch of your friends together you get an extra $250 to top it all. Come in go through the training its paid learn and get your money making job and its full time. How many jobs can you ask that of now a days?

Cons

There is no cons to it just know how to do your job based off the training.

6. "In my opinion. This is a great place to work, if you work hard, and a great opportunity if you work for it."

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Reno, NV

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing compensation plan. If you put in the time and effort into this job you will get rewarded for you're effort.
    Flexible work environment. The supervisors will work with you, and help you out if you follow the rules, and you put in the effort.

Cons

There are not that many cons. This job isn't for everyone, and it isn't an easy sit back, and relax job.
    You have to work at it to get rewarded, but if you work at it. Then you will be rewarded. Most people I see not make it, were not cut out for the job, did not follow the rules, or did not put in the effort.

Advice to Management

There is not much advice I can say to my supervisors, and managers. I love the fact that I feel I can approach you with a question, or a problem, and not feel intimidated. My Advice. Don't Change.

I have to say that I am very satisfied with my job, and I can only thank my mentors, supervisors, trainers, and management for this.

7. "the best job i ever had"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

your progress and drive is what makes you advance

Cons

this place is great no cons

Advice to Management

awesome management

8. "The best job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Niles, OH

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel a sense of job security at West that I haven't felt anywhere else. I worked here doing customer service calls for AT&T for 2 years, and then I accepted a position with another company closer to home. Once I realized the grass wasn't greener on the other side, I came back to West and am now doing technical support for AT&T. I have the same days off every week, but I have the option of posting my hours/shifts for other employees to pick up. Employees who keep their attendence above 85% each pay period earn 2 hours of unpaid time off every 2 weeks. In addition, West issues a generous amount of paid time off annually. There is also unlimited overtime availability. I feel the pay is competitive compared to other call centers in the area. There are many advancement opportunities and many employees get promoted within 6 months to 1 year from their hire date. West makes it a point to host contests, giveaways and occassional company provided lunches to reward employees for their hard work and achievements. I would recommend this employer to anyone who is looking for steady employment in a professional business setting.

Cons

There is a low morale at West which I believe contributes to the incredibly high turnover. This job is not right for everyone. Some people find it difficult to effectively communicate with angry customers, sit for long periods of time and do the same or similar tasks repeatedly. There is a quota for average handle time and sales but it is very easily attained through one on one coaching sessions with your team lead. It is hard to get fired unless you don't follow the rules which are clearly outlined in the employee handbook.

Advice to Management

Try to find ways to boost morale and reduce turnover rate.

9. "A lot of undeserved bad reputation!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at West Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was pretty good
    Management was great
    Compressed work week
    lots of overtime

Cons

The building was old and kinda warn out (not their fault)
    Very colorful employees

Advice to Management

The only reason I left was the severe lack of opportunity. I would recommend throwing your bottom line employees a bone once in awhile. Better yet, send someone from the corporate office to boost moral! I would have stayed with this company indefinitely if only I had just a little recognition. Anything would have done guys, you could have given me a coffee mug and I would have been content.

10. "Great company with many advancement opportunities."

Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Performance Assessment Liaison in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lateral and upward movement is constantly at your fingertips. You just need to grab it. I left this company because I moved to a city where the business is not located, but have since returned to Omaha. I've just finished my business degree, which I acquired for the soul purpose of returning to this company. I can't wait to see how far I can go!

Cons

Without a degree the pay isn't the greatest, but even with a degree most companies will start you off as low as they can. It's a dog eat dog world. You have to start at the bottom most of the time!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.