West Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • West is a call center environment and therefore can have demanding hours and goals (in 29 reviews)

• On call can be demanding even with the emphasis on the work/home life balance from upper management (in 25 reviews)

1. "Can be an above average job depending your outlook"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middleton, WI

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of PTO, Holiday Pay, Set schedule no weekends.

Cons

this job is Not for everyone

Mar 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking time to write a review for West and thank you for your service to the organization. As you’ve noted, we value a healthy life/work balance for our employees which is why our... More

2. "4 years out and I'm still traumatized"

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Spokane, WA

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are simple. You get paid. Overtime is offered and at some point they let you leave.

Cons

Management was very dramatic. They had a list of people they did not like and I wish I was kidding. I watched OTS fire employees for infractions that others were not fired for. I saw employees coming into work sick as they were told that missing any time at all could terminate their "career" at West. A lot of employees were pulled into the office of our top OTS and would come out in tears. Lunches were cut and or pushed past the legal limit of time. Breaks were taken away when call volume was high. If you were working on a "PIN" for schedule adherence, it was near impossible to get off of as every manager had a different expectation for how those PINs worked. Sexual harassment was such an issue and never handled. I watched someone get fired for a personal conversation they had off campus grounds about another employee. That's not legal and that's not right.

Advice to Management

Leave.

Apr 12, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts, however the Spokane office is no longer a West site.

"Call Center Nightmare"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wausau, WI

I worked at West Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are not a favorite, then the only bright side to your day will be the fact that the building has walls, a floor and a ceiling. If you're a favorite you will get special treatment, held to a different set of rules, and be able to advance much faster.

Cons

Everything else. I've never taken my time to write a review about a former employer, but it was so bad (at least my program was) that I felt it was my duty to warn others about this place, so maybe someone can avoid having a similar experience.

This is the worst job that I've ever had in my life. I came to West with enthusiasm and a very positive attitude. I loved West as a business and all that it had to offer. However because of office drama and poor professionalism of management I am now a disgruntled former employee. I was put in situations I shouldn't have been put in. I didn't see a point in saying anything or reporting as I didnt wish to have further backlash. I just wanted to get out and move on with my life.

The program I was on was extremely chaotic and disorganized. Their were different directives coming in from different people. Very few know what they're doing because they cant retain employees.

They don't accept doctor's notes, as they are not "legally required to". They will expect you to come in, even if conditions are extremely dangerous. They don't care about the safety and wellbeing of their employees.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your program running and keep your jobs, I suggest you start treating your employees with equality and respect. You need your employees to stay if you want quality work.

4. "Software Analyst"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility and freedom you are given to pitch in your ideas

Cons

There is not much as far as I am concerned

5. "New Hire at West"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at West are extremely welcoming and ready to help. New hire orientation provides a great foundation to begin your career journey.

Cons

No cons experienced as of this date..

Advice to Management

I appreciate the opportunity to meet with an executive shortly after starting at West. The meeting was very informative and provided an opportunity to offer suggestions on any areas of improvement. Every experience has been positive so far!!!

6. "Client Resource Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Resource Specialist in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Client Resource Specialist in Mobile, AL

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a very laid back work environment with great people. The hours of operation are reasonable. The managers are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Cons

The slow days can make the work day drag a little.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. "Decent, could be better"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

West itself is nice, by call center standards. It's definitely improved over the years. It has a more professional feel than other call centers I've visited/worked at and it's very clean. I loved my manager very much, he went above and beyond for both myself and my team. They were cool about attendance and willing to work with you as long as you talked to them ahead of time. Most people were nice and friendly, if they weren't, they at least kept to themselves.

Cons

While West itself was okay, the client/project I was assigned to was awful. Not only did they micromanage, they were inconsistent, constantly changing expectations. They also did not allow our center to do things that they allowed other centers to do, which hurt our numbers. Ultimately they forced West to downsize.

My only other complaint regarding West was the training. The trainer, while a nice person, was focused way too much on emotions and personal experiences and not enough on information we needed. I understand training is almost always going to be lacking somewhat, but after 4 weeks of training I would have expected more. I learned far more on the floor than I did in training class, and most of that info contradicted.

Advice to Management

If you let go of people because a project was doing poorly, and then the project continues to do poorly, then guess what? Those people weren't the problem. Focus on training and working with your client to fix the issues that seem to only pop up at your site.

Feb 27, 2017 – HR Director

We appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts on your experience with West and providing us an opportunity in which to improve. Thanks for writing a review!

"Large Company with Very Smart People and Terrible Health Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at West Corporation full-time

Pros

Transparency, access to senior management, genuine desire to help people

Cons

High deductible health plans are not good for those who have no other options. Other large companies have MUCH better benefit offerings.

Advice to Management

Please, please reconsider your health benefit options. Please.

"They are just 👌"

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Pensacola, FL

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule, you can usually work overtime, you can trade your schedule with others.

Cons

Disorganized, they do not care for their employees at all management plays favorites reminding me sadly of high school

Advice to Management

Pay attention to and reward those who are good employees no matter their social and popularity status.

"OK Company, Huge Corporate Disconnect"

Former Employee - Health Care Sales Representative in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Health Care Sales Representative in Appleton, WI

I worked at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning true sales and B2B processes, huge variety of opportunities, huge gap in leadership goals and overall metrics.

Cons

Gap in corporate management, and employee relations department,

Advice to Management

Get on the same page, with- contract contacts, coproratw leadership, regional directors, business directors, managers and staff.

Feb 27, 2017 – HR Director