West Development Reviews | Glassdoor

West Development Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

2.7
  1. "Payroll Specialist / Accounting"

I worked at West Development

Pros

Great company and people to work for and with.

Cons

Not any downsides at all. Just do your work and do it correctly.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees needs.

West Development2016-10-17
  2. "Loved my job"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at West Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment and space. Very friendly employees who always helped each other out. Close to the beach.

Cons

Not too much room for advancement since the company corporate office is small.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff more; they sometimes have great ideas.

West Development2019-10-16
  3. "Exceptional management, but ultimately little room for growth"

I worked at West Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

I held an entry-level position during my time at West Development. I can't really speak for other departments, but HR leadership was very supportive of my career growth, providing ample opportunities to attend training and explore different specialties within the field. Knowledge was accessible, feedback was consistent, resources were plenty, and the director showed us her appreciation for our hard work in a myriad... of ways that demonstrated that she really valued having us on her team. Good leadership is seemingly hard to come by, so this was a really big pro for me. As a whole, management throughout the company seemed caring, responsive, and largely unpolitical, including executive management. There is some flexibility in schedule; although working from home wasn't an option, I was able to determine my own work hours to a reasonable degree. The owners are very philanthropic and there were opportunities to volunteer on a monthly basis (on company time). Company "perks" are good. Company parties, particularly the holiday party, are really great. A lot of thought is put into company events.

Cons

A few colleagues were difficult to work with (personality-wise), but that's to be expected at any company. The biggest con is that the company is small, and thus there was little room for growth. When I left, the company was divesting and there were multiple layoffs.

West Development2018-12-20

"This was a very cold and heartless company - no compassion for people."

I worked at West Development full-time

Pros

The only pleasant perk was the office location with views of the ocean and flower fields.

Cons

The HR leadership is dangerously arrogant, lacking in sound HR knowledge and professionalism. But most disappointing they fail to treat people with fairness respect and compassion. Sadly these are the individuals that are advising the rest of the leadership on people issues. If you're an ethical, intelligent professional with a good heart and enjoy working with genuinely nice people this is not the right work... environment for you. Please keep looking, West Development doesn't value or appreciate these qualities in their employees.

Advice to Management

People will forget who you are but they will never forget how you made them feel. How will your employees remember you as a leader and the experience you created for them?

West Development2018-07-26
  5. "Great Company"

I worked at West Development full-time

Pros

Lots of different West companies to work for.

Cons

Some of these companies are in different states.

West Development2017-11-02
  6. "Mostly a great company"

I worked at West Development full-time

Pros

Great benefits, progressive thinking, philanthropic interests.

Cons

Occasionally do not follow their own guidelines, resulting in bad decisions.

Advice to Management

Communicate more.

West Development2016-01-13

"Horrid, racist environment."

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at West Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers. Ohh, free ice at the gas station. When they advertise best perks, that's what they mean, free ice at WestMart.

Cons

Micro-managed under bizarre circumstances. The contractor who built the place has veto power and input into every decision involving every facet of business. Why? Because he is personal friend of the owners, or so I was told. Vendettas, witch hunts, and cronyism rule. If you speak your mind and do your job right, and someone higher is threatened by your knowledge/decisions, you're out.

Advice to Management

Hire competent management. Cull the dead wood. Reward people for results. When people give the same excuse over and over, ask why. Stop letting an outsider run the place--bad for morale.

West Development2015-05-05

"Work Environment"

Former Employee - Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at West Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company outings are memorable and enjoyable

Cons

lack of technical and management skills. Can't believe how they got into where they are now.

Advice to Management

To Senior Management: change is needed from top down. Hire and promote the best people, not the favorite ones who can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

West Development2014-09-03

"Inexperienced Management"

I have been working at West Development full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Christmas parties are fun and the food is delicious. The owners are pleasant and personable. Few employees are great to work with.

Cons

Management across the board are extremely inexperienced and have no integrity. Expensive benefits, little holidays, promotions are reserved for favorites.

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your employees. Take several management/leadership courses. Treat you employees as well as you want them to treat their outside customers.

West Development2014-07-18