West Edmonton Mall Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Don Ghermezian

1. "A lot of potential"

Pros

Co-workers are amazing and supportive.

Cons

The company is very disconnected from the Marine Life department. This creates a lot of frustration.

Advice to Management

Be more clear on goals needed to get a promotion

2. "Show compassion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at West Edmonton Mall full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Attraction passes and inexpensive lunches at Ed's

Cons

Increased workload, no raise in almost 5 years, cut part time staff hours

Advice to Management

A bit more empathy for staff would help. Have a heart.

3. "Waterpark Employee"

Former Employee - Slide Attendant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Slide Attendant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at West Edmonton Mall part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Good pay
    Easy job
    Lots of breaks
    Good starter job, easy to apply & get the job even with no experience.

Cons

Horrible, hostile work environment
    Cocky, rude manager
    Several immature supervisors who pick favourites because they're the same age as most of the staff (so they become bar buddies with some of them and those people get special treatment)
    Plenty of customer complaints that get ignored by management

It's basically like working in a high school. Definitely not the place to work if you enjoy working in a healthy & productive work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring children and hire some mature, responsible adults that can handle being supervisors without playing favourites.

5. "Marine Life Volunteer"

Current Employee - Marine Life Volunteer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Life Volunteer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at West Edmonton Mall (Less than a year)

Pros

I volunteer approximately once per week in the Marine Life Department. It is a great opportunity if you are interested in marine biology or animal care, and allows you to learn and help out with a variety of different tasks. Tasks are scheduled in short time blocks which allow you to be active and do multiple things during each shift.

Cons

I don't have a problem with this personally, but just as a heads up to anyone interested in volunteering - there is a lot of cleaning involved with this position, so you must be comfortable with cleaning many fishy dishes! :)

Advice to Management

No significant comments. Continue to provide feedback to volunteers regularly, as it is much appreciated!

"Employees I worked with were angry,depressed and left voiceless – especially women."

I worked at West Edmonton Mall full-time

Pros

Three complimentary attraction passes monthly.

Cons

Working at West Edmonton Mall, was supposed to be the opportunity of a lifetime. It was, instead, the most toxic work experience of my life.
    There is an extraordinary amount of talent on the team, but poor management, coupled with intimidation, favoritism and sexism, has resulted in a deeply uncomfortable work environment. Employees I worked with were angry, depressed and left voiceless – especially women.
    I often found that when I reported a problem or a discrepancy in the guidelines, my claims were dismissed. When a man would report the same problem, he would be congratulated for noticing the problem and actions would be taken to fix it. When I would suggest an idea it was dismissed. When a man would suggest the exact same, he would be congratulated. This silencing was devastating. I found myself speaking up less and less, until I got to a point where I no longer reported any problems or suggested any ideas.
    The team prioritizes cost over quality and forces employees and contractors to work under stressful conditions of meeting aggressive expectations coupled with poor scheduling and miscommunication.
    Executives from Triple Five and their support staff complain about WEM employees, while slandering their fellow executives, pitting people against one another. They shift the blame down by throwing them under the bus to avoid taking responsibility for mismanagement.
    There is a swipecard/lateness tracker that is used to keep track of when and how late you are. The document is supposed to be a secret from the team and used to evaluate performance, but it is insted used as intimidation.
    Saying that I worked at West Edmonton Mall carried some prestige. I made more money than you’d expect to as an assistant. But none of this negates the toxic environment of the team. I still carry the fear of speaking up with me. I find myself holding back when I see a problem or afraid to speak up when I have an idea.

7. "Guest Services"

I worked at West Edmonton Mall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people is the department are kind

Cons

Minimal duties result in many boring hours of work.

Advice to Management

Create work for employees to avoid all those hours of just watching to clock

"Under compensated, broken promises and favourites."

I worked at West Edmonton Mall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at wem taught me what I needed to know to get a better job in my field.
    Benefits are half paid by employer.

Cons

There are a lot of senior staff that aren't welcoming to new staff.
    A lot of cliques.
    A lot of backstabbing.
    Promises don't mean anything.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see your revolving door.

"Food and Beverage Manager"

Pros

Supportive head office management team and great work staff.

Cons

Nothing really substantial to mention

"okay company to start"

Pros

It's okay place for entry level position. good people overall

Cons

No advancements offered. Low to mid pay as well. High turnover and some management positions are not even qualified (more on experience I guessed but education lacking though)

Advice to Management

Maybe promote for advancements and encourage management to have education for better results

"I worked at the waterpark"

Former Employee - Slide Attendant
    Former Employee - Slide Attendant

I worked at West Edmonton Mall part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't too many pros to this job except plenty breaks. However in most guarding jobs that is to be expected. Also meeting new people everyday was a plus.

Cons

Trying to talk to managers about problems other than severe safety risks was like talking to a brick wall. Lots of the staff including some supervisors seem to bring personal drama and unprofessional behaviour to work. Scheduling had gone downhill from the start to the end of my employment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Doing little things can go a long way to increase worker satisfaction and safety.