West Hills Day Camp Reviews | Glassdoor

Kevin Gersh

1. "group leader"

Former Employee - Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at West Hills Day Camp (More than a year)

Pros

You work outside, and you basically get paid to play with kids all day. Some of the green shirts make it worth while. Some don't, but the ones who do make working there a better experience. The staff are fun to hang out with and there is a good community of people there.

Cons

The camp is very political and being a group leader requires a lot of outside work. You have to call like 20-30 parents weekly, write weekly blurbs-keep track of which children are in the blurbs, kids leave at different times everyday-you are responsible for knowing when each child leaves, you need to handle medical forms, allergies, and lunch forms. You need to serve lunch. You need to write awards when kids are leaving. You need to evaluate counselors and have talks with each one separately. You need to schedule kids electives weekly, and you need to take care of color war teams. Not a very high pay at all. You will be docked if you are out and you have to pay for your staff shirts. Some parents can be a pain.

Advice to Management

Better communication would be great,

2. "Group Leader"

Former Contractor - Group Leader in Huntington, NY
    Former Contractor - Group Leader in Huntington, NY

I worked at West Hills Day Camp as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful grounds. Great swimming pools. Near where I live. But what you may see, is not even close to what you will get!

Cons

The management of this camp is below poor. The current directors haven't a clue as to what a day camp should be. It is micro-managed. Care for the children is now an after-thought. I was a camper for 8 years, and loved every second. I cried on the last day of camp. But that was under the old directors, Mike and Bob. When Bob left, the spirit of the camp began to fade. When Mike left, it was no longer the same camp. The enrollment goes down every year, and they blame the group leaders. I predict that by 2020 this will become a subdivision. Too bad, so sad.

Advice to Management

The owners should get Mike and Bob to become adviser/consultants. Hire new directors. Bring back group and camp songs. Take better care of the children.

3. "APPRECIATE THOSE WHO WORK HARD FOR YOU"

Former Contractor - Ceramics Specialist, Arts and Crafts in Huntington, NY
    Former Contractor - Ceramics Specialist, Arts and Crafts in Huntington, NY

I worked at West Hills Day Camp as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The staff was always friendly.

Cons

I was responsible for ceramics. I often stayed later than the other arts and crafts specialists to clean up after the paint cups, paint pumps and brushes used for all departments. I was responsible for the ceramic counts and maintaining the ceramics purchase order through Excel. I often was asked to buy supplies that were needed and never received a reimbursement for the items. Also, I worked extra nights for the camp out nights. I reapplied to arts and crafts after taking a year off. However, they never even called me about a position. I wish they appreciated the staff that works hard for them. Its sad because I once was a camper myself at West Hills and always thought that if I had children of my own they would do the same. After, seeing the treatment of there employees I would think twice about that. Another downfall compared to other camps is the fact that the camps usually offer the employees lunch, at West Hills they do not offer lunch to there employees.

Advice to Management

Appreciate those who put in the extra effort more.

4. "Fun job, poor pay"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Huntington, NY

I worked at West Hills Day Camp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

West Hills Day Camp has a relaxing work environment and cool employees. You will have a fair amount of downtime throughout the day.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate with the hours you are expected to work. Some of the parents can be a bit intense.

5. "West Hills Day Camp"

Former Contractor - Specialist-Video Lab in Huntington, NY
    Former Contractor - Specialist-Video Lab in Huntington, NY

I worked at West Hills Day Camp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Facilities
    Great Coworkers
    Fun to work at

Cons

Food
    Rowdy kids
    Chaotic
    Slight lack of supplies sometimes

6. "As a camp, it is the best I've seen."

Current Contractor - Specialist in West Hills, NY
    Current Contractor - Specialist in West Hills, NY

I have been working at West Hills Day Camp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

the campus is amazing
    the children are great
    the staff are generally wonderful

Cons

there may be occasion for you to assume greater responsibilities than you had intended without recompense
    the pay is on par with other camps. that is to say its terrible

Advice to Management

offer a bonus incentive tot he different groups of employees. 1 for the specialist, 1 for the Group Leaders, 1 for the counselors, 1 for the bus counselors etc.

7. "I would say my experience at West Hills Day camp was fun and informative."

Former Employee - Arts/Crafts Specialist in Dix Hills, NY
    Former Employee - Arts/Crafts Specialist in Dix Hills, NY

Pros

The pros were the staff are very nice, the environment is clean and safe, free lunches and snacks provided to workers. They treat all workers fairly with respect.

Cons

The cons were you don't make minimum wage, everyone is paid collectively at the end of the summer, you recieve a pay check, if you miss a day it's subtracted, and you make 20 dollars a day,

Advice to Management

It's a good camp but you should really pay your workers more!

8. "Counselor"

I worked at West Hills Day Camp full-time

Pros

Leadership team, owners are great, pay is great

Cons

Kids can get emotional and long training

9. "Camp Counselor"

Pros

Very friendly and helpful staff. Fun yet challenging environment to work in.

Cons

The pay isn't great, but everything else is.

10. "counselor"

Pros

there are no pros at this company

Cons

terrible ownership. facility is run down