West Virginia University Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee
E. Gordon Gee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Morgantown is a very nice place to live (in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment, departmental support (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for non management (in 10 reviews)

• small town doesn't have much fun (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

I have been working at West Virginia University part-time

Pros

Great experience, great people! Have been working here for more than 4 years now!

Cons

Not many benefits, and it is located in a small town.

2. "Inspiring research & people, difficult area"

Current Employee - Graduate Student and Administrative Secretary in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WVU is a top-notch University with great research and networking opportunities. I encountered supportive faculty and staff, and hate having to leave.

Cons

The area is limited in terms of opportunity, and some of the old-school folks can be rather set in their ways.

Aug 14, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for reaching out - we appreciate your feedback!

3. "WVU EcoCAR 3"

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time

Pros

State of the art facilities, great coworkers

Cons

Pay system is complicated and outdated

Jul 25, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for letting us know about your experience - we appreciate the feedback!

4. "too much "good ole boy" system still in place"

Current Employee - Lower Management
    Current Employee - Lower Management

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

some of the nicest people you would ever want to work with in many areas, adds cultural events and activities to the area that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, some of the benefits are good

Cons

cost of housing in Morgantown itself (way to high for the size of the town), traffic, town infrastructure, out of town/out of state drivers, Road User fee, political environment (within units/departments/schools/colleges), disconnect between upper admin/management and staff, too many personal agendas (not OneWVU), low pay, discriminatory attitudes, bullying occurs, and good ole boy system still exists in many areas.

Advice to Management

take a long hard look in the mirror, and start listening to the people on the ground. Protect your employees, enforce a no tolerance attitude for discrimination, retaliation and other behaviors from management and faculty that create uncomfortable and tension filled work environments. Take a look at what you are paying some of your administration, versus others in the U. Get rid of those who are incompetent, engage in bullying or otherwise negative behaviors on a regular basis and clean your act up. You are losing Great employees, and will be left with the ones who are only concerned about themselves - not the good of the institution. That transcends directly into poor services for the students we serve.

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

We always strive to be an employer of choice and welcome employee feedback. We'd like to get more information from you regarding your experiences with us. Feel free to reach out to our Human... More

"Political, Management Heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, City of Morgantown and the surrounding area is great, semi-progressive.

Cons

Extremely political organization. Unqualified Management. State is intolerable, irrational, and just plain stuck in the past.

Advice to Management

Cost saving projects are anything but. Personal bias dictates direction rather than stakeholder input. Magazine management is rampant especially at executive level. Leadership does not mean dictatorship.

Mountaineers NEVER go first.

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

6. "WVU Admissions rocks!"

I worked at West Virginia University full-time

Pros

opportunities for professional development, exciting, great staff, lots of food!

Cons

not a fan of the cubicle office setting

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding the hardworking employees!

Jul 25, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with us! And some good food along the way. Thanks for sharing!

7. "Graduate Student"

Pros

University tries to funds as many graduate students as possible

Cons

Research wok is a little laid back

Jul 25, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We're glad to see you've had a positive experience with the University.

8. "Low salary"

Current Employee - Program Assistant II in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Program Assistant II in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tuition assistance, sometimes the people are good

Cons

Hard to move up, some departments have dirty management, pay for one's own parking... which can get expensive.

Advice to Management

Don't pigeonhole your employees

Jul 18, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We always strive to be an employer of choice and appreciate hearing from our faculty and staff. Please feel free to reach out to us to further discuss this at... More

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment
    Flexible time schedule
    Good (not great) benefits

Cons

Compensation on the low side

Advice to Management

Employee incentives with merit raises will help with morale. Right now it's dependent on the legislature, but something needs to be done to keep good talent.

Jul 5, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us - we appreciate hearing from you!

10. "Course Developer and Instructor"

Current Employee - Online Course Developer and Instructor in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Online Course Developer and Instructor in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The online program at West Virginia University's Reed College of Media is very structured. All courses follow the same format, with all discussion assignments having the same requirements. The university constructs the course calendar. So, students know what to expect from course to course. This significantly cuts down on student failure.

Cons

There are two downsides to working at WVU: 1) If an online course has less than 12 students enrolled in it, they won't run it. If, by some chance, they do (say, for instance, the course has 9 students enrolled), the course compensation will be prorated. 2) Due to West Virginia law, WVU is required to deduct West Virginia state income taxes from every paycheck. I live in NY, but I still have to pay that tax. There are no exemptions. The best you can do is try to secure a refund, but in my 4 years there, I've been unsuccessful in that.

Advice to Management

Run online courses, even if there are only a handful of students in them, especially when you're trying to get new programs of study off the ground. It looks really bad to students when courses constantly don't run because you don't have 12 students registered for them. If it's an online course, you really have very little overhead, so run them.

Jun 26, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks so much for your feedback, we appreciate hearing from you.