WestJet "profit share" Reviews | Glassdoor

WestJet Employee Reviews about "profit share"

Updated Apr 29, 2019

3.7
WestJet President and Chief Executive Officer Edward Sims
Edward Sims
Pros
  • "The flight benefits are definitely worth it if you love to travel(in 76 reviews)

• "Profit share and employee share plan(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very technical job for low pay; think IT specialist with cranky guest on the other end who can’t check in online(in 14 reviews)

• "Shift work/ no flexible schedules(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "profit share"

Return to all Reviews

"Over promise, under deliver - great place to add on resume and move on"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- people - flight benefits - flexible working hours and shifts - Starbucks in the building - executives are accessible and visible - Stock matching

Cons

- They don’t negotiate salary, it’s take it or leave it. The mindset is “you should be lucky to work for us” - The salary you start at is the one you’ll be stuck with (with cost of living adjusted) unless you leave and come back. Many employees who want to get ahead in the organization leave to get the title/salary they want at another company, and then reapply at westjet (within the same year) - Often positions aren’t posted, and friends of managers are “re-allocated” into departments without having to interview or have experience - Policies are sporadically enforced (depending on the day), and many employees get away with things they shouldn’t - Profit share is a huge selling point when they mention salary, however due to the nature of the industry you can’t rely on it being consistent (or there) - Parental Leave is just the minimum required by the government on EI, top up isn’t there

WestJet2019-04-30

"CSA"

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel benefits Health benefits Profit share and employee share plan

Cons

Shift work/ no flexible schedules Dealing with rude passengers

WestJet2019-01-06

"All that glitters is not gold"

I worked at WestJet full-time

Pros

Fun at times You can travel Hotel, air, transportation discounts Good benefits Profit share

Cons

Management lies No one cares about you Everyone is a number

WestJet2018-09-01

"IT Analyst"

I have been working at WestJet full-time

Pros

The work I do has a direct impact on the bottom line and I can see the results of the effort I put in to support my team and the organization. This is new for me having not experienced it anywhere else. On the benefits side, I am very happy the employee share purchase plan allows me to put up to 20% of my gross salary into WestJet stock. Although the money is unfortunately locked in for a year, the company matches the 20% investment which is a big bonus. In the first year I was unable to put up the full 20% into stock but it was great that WestJet allowed me to top up the amount 2x yearly through the profit share cheques we receive. The salary is competitive, health coverage is competitive and the flight benefits are great, especially as WestJet sets it sights on global expansion with the new Dreamliner 787s arriving soon. It's worth noting that a generous relocation package was also offered when I first accepted the role.

Cons

Lots of change. We joke in IT that if you don't like the way something is, wait 6 months. The rate of change is high and if you don't like the pace, this might not be the right company for you.

WestJet2018-03-29

"Great Co-workers!"

I worked at WestJet full-time

Pros

Fabulous people to work alongside. Most people are positive and invested in the company. Lots of long standing employees to learn from. The stock option is the best I've ever had and the profit sharing is a nice reward . The profit share and xmas parties are really well done!

Cons

Too often employees are moved to Management because of their tenure and less often their aptitude. Which is typical of big companies...but some great candidates went unnoticed. Also, some departments are extremely busy, and others are not at all, to the point where it was difficult to fill a day.

Advice to Management

Know when to let go of some people to increase the efficiency of a department and keep the hard workers busy and engaged!

WestJet2018-03-13

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at WestJet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Great work environment. Flight benefits are amazing. Share Purchase Program. Profit Share.

Cons

Upward Mobility in the corporate environment is limited to management positions. Technology in IT is well behind current practices, making it hard to develop future career skills.

WestJet2018-01-30
  7. "Sales Super Agent"

I have been working at WestJet part-time

Pros

Awesome profit share, great staff and leadership

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

None

WestJet2017-12-09
  8. "good place to work"

I worked at WestJet full-time

Pros

environment, people, benefits, especially the flights and profit share

Cons

compensation can have disconnect between executive and operations

WestJet2017-07-19

"This job saved me"

Current Employee - CSA in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet part-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, through the recession, I had a bad depression, and then I got hired at Westjet. I love this place. The people, the management, the volunteering opportunities, the autonomy, the training, the family, the entrepreneurial spirit. There are no labels here, just acceptance. They offer and empowerment with accountability model and they trust their employees. The benefits are awesome. The ability to build your own schedule is even better. Plus you get profit share, stock options, and a happy, positive place to work.

Cons

Low wages, but they are pretty transparent when you are hired. So you really cannot be a victim about it. You don't work for WS for the pay. There are some negative, disgruntled older employees that I think may be stuck in a victim mentality. If you are not happy, move on, no need to drag anyone else down.

Advice to Management

There are some ASC who get overlooked for the management roles. Put personal differences aside and promote those that truly deserve it, rather than those who are in your inner circle.

WestJet2017-07-01

"Awesome company great employees"

Former Employee - Team Leader - Contact Centre in Calgary, AB

I worked at WestJet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are great flight perks employees are like family working from home is a bonus profit share is ok the Christmas party is great

Cons

Management needs to listen to your employees they are what made the airline successful in the beginning that's what makes the company

Advice to Management

Go back to the old ways of we take care or our people and in turn they will take care of our guests like in the beginning

WestJet2017-06-13