WestStar Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Vision Forward Company! in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Vision Forward Company! in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at WestStar Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company! Wonderful management! Proactive!

Cons

None! Not licensed in every state at that time!

Advice to Management

Continue the good work. Low key management style. Supportive.

2. "Small company"

I worked at WestStar Mortgage (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok. No bonus.

Cons

High turnover. Ppl overlooked for growth.

3. "anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at WestStar Mortgage (Less than a year)

Pros

very few to speak of.

Cons

company culture and approach to risk

Advice to Management

They seem to have kept the same people after being sold which does not allow for a corporate culture change.

4. "Decent Pay, Decent Place"

Former Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Lake Ridge, VA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Lake Ridge, VA

I worked at WestStar Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere and good, educated, young people

Cons

Terrible management and lack of organization

5. "Promotion is not based on job performance"

Pros

Job secure and nice management team!

Cons

Certain employees don't need to do that much but get paid! Certain managers are not competent but on the manager's position!

Advice to Management

Too tolerant!

"No time for personal life"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Hollywood, FL

I worked at WestStar Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

Make lots of money...secure job

Cons

Management is poor especially the Processing manager....talk a lot about people behind your back.They have no respect for personal time. Work 7 days of the week right around the clock...Does not pay for overtime.

7. "Environment"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator/IT Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator/IT Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at WestStar Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly and flexible working hours

Cons

No organization or structure; no work life balance

8. "Unorganized on a good day"

Pros

The company offers some freedoms (relaxed dress code, good time off policies, etc) and management makes an effort to know personnel.

Cons

Management decisions are often made on very personal levels. The owners' act on their own whims and will sometimes change decisions in the middle of a projects. Often the changes are not good for the company.

"Awesome company to work for if you can close lending tree leads"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Plano, TX

I worked at WestStar Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a mortgage loan officer . Unlimited leads via leads 360 lead system. (leads are recycled if the fresh ones run out). Management is very laid back, they let you set your own schedule, absolutely zero micro management. Mgt doesn't mess with you at all. Pretty much up to you to do your thing and produce. It was hands down the best company I've ever worked at. Also, the Branch manager was without a doubt the best manager I've ever worked for , cool as hell, very encouraging and positive, never became impatient no matter how many questions you asked or even if he was in the middle of something. He never used veiled threats or beat down sessions as a form of motivation (which doesn't work anyways). He made coming to work something to look forward to. Mgt is always happy to help you with anything and everything. Pay is 100% commission starting at .38bps (.38% of loan size), that may seem a bit low but given that the avg loan size is $350,000 ,it's actually quite generous assuming you are good at mortgage sales, you should do quite well. Bps payout can go up to .55bps - .60 bps in higher volume closed brackets or self gen loans. To the best of my memory , the top 25% of loan officers were averaging $100k min, top 10-15% avg $200-$250k. I'd guess that the middle 30% avg about $30-50k. The bottom 30% don't last.

Cons

95% of the leads are lending tree. The other 5% were costco leads. In my job interview I was led to believe that the costco leads were a significant percentage of the lead source (which is what hooked me in, the lure of exclusive leads). But unfortunately that didn't turn out to be the case. For all intensive purposes, this is a lending tree operation with the rare occasional costco lead thrown in. The costco leads are exclusive though (whenever you're lucky enough to get one) so your chances of closing one when you make contact with the client are pretty decent. The average lending tree lead typically has about 6 to 8 other competing lenders calling on them so you have to be dam good at your game to survive at any mortgage company that works off lending tree leads. Though, it does help a little that the rates and fees they offer are extremely competitive. I never recall a time I lost a deal over rate and fees, so this company does have an advantage in that regard. There is very high turnover (at least at the Plano, TX branch, can't speak for the other 6-8 branches they have across the country). When I started there were about 12 loan officers. By the time I left 7 months later it was down to about four. The turnover had nothing to do with management. From what I saw, everyone loved working here. From what I observed , the turnover (including myself) is due to the fact that only top performers will make it here. I've been able to make a living for the last 12 years in the mortgage biz but I've never had to try to survive off of lending tree leads alone. In my opinion, you have to be the best of the best to survive on lending tree leads as most lending tree leads have about 6 other lenders calling on them. It's extremely competitive . In my opinion, if you are just average at mortgage sales, you won't survive here. If you are above average might be able to hang on if your loan fall out isn't too high. But with the large loan sizes, a person who is a top industry closer can bank serious cash here. If you are average or have only slightly above average sales and closing skills, don't waste your time here or at any lender that works primarily off of lending tree leads. However, if you are very good at sales and closing, this is probably the best place to work at. I loved working here, very laid back and no micro management . It was probably the best company and best management I've ever worked for. Too bad I couldn't close lending tree deals, would have loved to stay here.

Advice to Management

None. Management made this company a pleasure to work at

10. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at WestStar Mortgage full-time

Pros

Great leads and great management. No micro-managing.

Cons

I did not find any cons working for this company.