Westat Reviews | Glassdoor

Westat Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Excellent company, good work life balance, genuinely nice people who care about their work (in 20 reviews)

• Supportive upper management, opportunities to work from home (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay ,No pay raises ever after you reach 11 (in 13 reviews)

• PM is treated more as a secretarial position, with no room for growth (in 6 reviews)

"Points for flexibility and stability"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are
    1. a statistician and therefore desired
    2. someone who needs flexibility in scheduling (depends on your position but the company is fairly family-friendly)
    3. someone who values stability over income or opportunity
    this is the place for you

Cons

For lower profile staff, compensation is below average for the region
    Even though the company thinks it promotes from within, it doesn't, or only within certain tiers
    Too many VPs - and therefore, large salaries concentrated

Advice to Management

Employee-owned should mean that all the employees (at least all who own) are taken into consideration when financial decisions are made.

2. "Field Interviewer"

Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Lots of flexibility which was important to me with a young child....Got to know the respondents since I followed them for three years....some were a mile from my home, some 50 or more, but its the kind of work I like I am very independent

Cons

Really weren't any, you work out of your house and as long as you do your job everything is great

Advice to Management

None

"Company is great but not for long term"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to be near the cutting edge of research projects that are important to the country.

Cons

Company allows management to harass employees, even after the company has dealt with a number of lawsuits, without repercussions.

"Perfect if you want Stability over Salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company loyalty including many benefits options, very few cubicles, on-site subsidized cafeteria and fitness center, and fairly low-stress. More of an academic environment than a corporate environment in some ways -- opportunities to share ideas and work on multiple projects and areas. Employee-owned 'old-school' perks like holiday parties and company picnic.

Cons

Very few standard procedures that are not implemented across the company, resulting in unfair practices in some areas, for example minimal pay increases depending on which group you're in so you can't move up. Top-heavy with associate directors and VPs, many of which no one knows what they do and many don't even come in to work, some are even "retired". It's nearly impossible in some groups to get demoted or let go so there's a lot of dead wood. There's a lot of nepotism and those people do not have to improve their skills, carry their weight, or in some cases even behave professionally. Very few holidays (6) and vacation days.

Advice to Management

Have a better measure of work load so pay levels and recognition are based on the value of someone's contribution and are not so unbalanced.

"Westat, a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Columbia, MD

I worked at Westat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Westat some 20 years ago. I loved to work at Westat. Friendly environment, diverse community and the most likable supervisors. My very best memories are from that era.

Cons

I moved to far away from Westat to keep working there. There was some sense of instability, because we never knew when a project was going to end and if we were going to have a job the following week. In any case, I always had a job.

Advice to Management

Maybe things changed in the last 20 years, but it will be nice to know if employees will have security in the job. We all have families and bills to pay.

"Field Interviewer"

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Paducah, KY
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Paducah, KY

I have been working at Westat part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can work as many hours as you want, as long as you are being productive. The same goes for Over Time (OT). The minimum they ask of you is 20-25 hrs

Cons

You may get many people to participate in a longitudinal study thinking they are now yours to work, ensuring hours for the next year, alas you have to share your participants with fellow FI's who did not get many to participate during screening process. The company puts a lot of pressure on FI's to complete yearly interviews, starting from 11 month anniversary date till when you can get them done. Often feel like I am stalking Selected Persons (SP), even bordering on harrassment.

Advice to Management

Individuals who do well in ascertaining SP's in longitudinal study should be able to keep all SPs they acquired during the screening process throughout the entire study unless request otherwise.

"Working at Westat"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive upper management, opportunities to work from home

Cons

Proposal season can be rough; portfolio of work can vary a lot based on what the government funds

"NHanes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Westat full-time

Pros

Travel, points with hotels and free breakfast

Cons

Westat management could care less about their employees in the field. A hierarchy of unbalanced, egocentric and in some cases, bipolar people who constantly plot and web stories to be in the good graces with home office.

Advice to Management

People in home office should take more time to go to the field and really see what goes on.

10. "Data Collector"

Current Employee - Assessment Administrator in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Assessment Administrator in Hallandale Beach, FL

I have been working at Westat (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management team and very helpful. Great pay for contract or part-time work.

Cons

There are no cons about the position

Advice to Management

None

"Best work place"

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Presque Isle, MI
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Presque Isle, MI

I have been working at Westat part-time

Pros

Everything about Westat. I love my job. I love the company. Very flexible job. Supervisors are very understanding. I love being able to trave and Get paid for it! I get to meet new people! Everyday is a new experience which make my job very fun and interesting.

Cons

Nothing.. In my region very little work in the winter time nothing against the company just the area I live in..

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job..