Western Alliance Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Western Alliance Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Robert G. Sarver
Robert G. Sarver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people are great to work with from the various departments (in 4 reviews)

• If you're smart, able to carry a heavy workload and are not easily frustrated by lack of recognition, this is an ideal work environment (in 4 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance Team in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance Team in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Western Alliance Bank is one of the country’s top-performing banking companies and with great performance and growth comes more opportunities to its employees. As a full time employee in the Accounting/Finance team, the work environment is positive, collaborative, stimulating, open and honest, developmental, and provides a good work like balance. As any job can present more challenging times during specific projects, Western Alliance Bank often rewards those who go above and beyond. Overall, the Company is comprised of many intelligent and hardworking individuals who enjoy being here every day. I have and will continue to refer friends to the Bank.

Cons

Human Resources could focus more on developing employees. Take your career growth into your own hands by talking with your supervisor often.

2. "Treasury Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly new bank with learning opportunities.

Cons

No company culture. No help in advancing your career in the bank

"Don't let performance cloud the truth"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bank is a high performing bank and the stock has performed well.

Cons

Where to begin....if you like a back-stabbing, gossipy, dis-functional work environment, then this is the place for you! Favoritism and double-standards run a muck.... so many people should be fired or demoted, but somehow, they keep their executive and senior level roles. Many employees with executive in their title are incompetent as leaders and managers. Turnover is high, especially at the entry level and 2-3 years of experience. Young employees get discouraged by the lack of teamwork and mentoring - they vote with their feet and leave. Employees who diligently try to improve the situation are labeled as malcontents or trouble makers by management and executives. Many executives are coasting and do nothing to grow the business or mentor younger employees. Just spend a few months here and you will understand why bankers have the bad reputation that they hold in the public's eye. No one trusts anyone here - it is a crazy environment that is sugar coated by management and papered over by the stock price. Look no further than the sorry state of Phoenix Suns basketball franchise for an example of how the CEO leads and manages.

Advice to Management

Get a real look in the mirror and realize how dis-functional your bank is. Replace legacy division executives with real professional leaders and managers. Have HR manage the comments from executives in company meetings before a sexual harassment suit is unleashed.

"A Good Place To Work"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the people here are smart, nice and do good work. Really fair pay, benefits are pretty good and everyone gets a bonus. The bank has had really good growth especially the last few years which is great for the bonus! The offices are really nice and in a great downtown location with lots of lunch spots you can walk to and a gym on the first floor (discounted for bank employees).

Cons

Can be high stress at times and there's sometimes rivalry and finger pointing from one team to another if something doesn't go right

Advice to Management

more team building across departments

"This Place!!!"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

This organization is wonderful. There seems to be a solid vision for growth, the communication lines are open. Good benefits and, nice day-to-day perks. Great location. It really is a nice place to work

Cons

An entire department is broken and no one seems to want to do anything about it. Unprofessional is an understatement at times. Human Resources department is laughable at best. They don't seem to serve a functional purpose.

Advice to Management

Change. You know exactly what your problem departments are. Do something about it!

"Courting a suitor"

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

Stock options, some really good people work there, but unfortunately are stuck in bad situations.

Cons

Moral, senior management is inconsistent, some middle managers are selfish, incentive pay very subjective. Poor working environment comes from the top of the house. They are either rewarding you or building a case to get rid of you.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell to a big bank and get your golden parachutes before you ruin this once very desirable place to work. Lots of good people are not happy. Go focus on the Suns.

"Good on the outside, dysfunctional on the inside"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, easy commute, employees are generally friendly and helpful

Cons

Training is a huge sore spot (inconsistent, inadequate), management being about the company and not their employees, petty/immature behaviors, unnecessary gossip/secrets/office politics, the hiring of friends rather than someone more qualified

Advice to Management

Communicate! Always!
    If you don't know something, admit it and work towards finding a solution.
    High school was quite a number of years ago; leave the petty behavior at the door.
    The employees are what keep this company afloat - treat those who contribute well; get rid of the dead weight.
    Stop driving good employees away with poor management.

"Loan Specialist"

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

Good Teamwork, flexible for vacation time off.

Cons

High volume of work with minimum staff. Not enough FTE's.

Jul 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. We’ve shared your feedback with our HR and management leadership. As we continue to grow our high-performing banking organization, we are aggressively adding to our teams and... More

"Senior Level Banker"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

High performing bank, hire smart people and expect you to make a contribution. Competitive salaries, bonus and incentive opportunities for everyone.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a tough environment, but we are all on the same team and want to exceed the expectation of our customers and shareholders

Advice to Management

Keep focused on exceeding the expectation of our customers and delivering great products and service and the rest will fall into place. The CEO is a great leader!

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your review – we’re glad you’re happy here! It’s nice to see in your comments the exact same qualities our bank strives to be known for: smart people, satisfied customers, high... More

"Extremely unprofessional"

Pros

Some of the people were nice, and the facility was nice. The bank is doing well financially.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional, inappropriate work environment. Lack of organization. I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews about high turnover online.

Advice to Management

Fix the toxic culture.

Jul 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. It’s true that not every work environment is a fit for every person and we’re sorry the bank wasn’t the right place for you. As you point out, we are a fast-growing... More