Western Alliance Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Western Alliance Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Robert G. Sarver
Robert G. Sarver

"A Bank Built on Expertise, Execution and Relationships"

Current Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Treasury Management Sales Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with an elite team of bankers, Never Micro-managed, No silos/Flat Management Structure, Progressive, Quick to adapt, Your voice is heard, And of course...Great Base salary, Quarterly Incentives, Annual Bonus, Annual Stock Awards. Not to mention...monthly birthday celebrations and the best holiday party ever.

Cons

Hard to think of any. This is the best job I have ever had. Limited locations, so I have to commute, but it's worth it. There isn't much for training, but this is no place for beginners.

Advice to Management

Don't sell out. Keep taking calculated risks. Keep staying one step ahead of the industry.

"Life is good"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just got my review from my manager and thought to share here. I'm so happy here. Got a little promotion and raise and will be getting a nice bonus, too. Company and my team is having lots of success and that the hardest part--all the work. But I have a career path and am way proud to work here because I have opportunity. I did not have that at the last place I worked. My manager is good. He is helping me to shape a career here. There are a couple of women in our group and he respects us.

Cons

Sometimes people can be rude or thoughtless, but most people are nice and fun to work with.

"I work in the IT department at cityscape"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

27 days vacation and sick, 8% bonus, 3% match on 401k ok healthcare w/ $1200 given to HSA, solid pay compared to other banks. Good co-workers, great managers, you can move up depending on position. Low turnover, pretty conservative place would be nice to have a little fun, like real fun such as dress more casually. Ability to transfer to other internal jobs after 6 months in current position

Cons

Same problems here as there are everywhere else.

Advice to Management

With frequent internal re-alignments, team members are anxious and need more support, assurance, and recognition than ever before

"Western Alliance"

Former Employee - Corporate Counsel in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Corporate Counsel in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing bank with good management; good pay

Cons

Heavily invested in CRE; lack of diversity could be problematic in the event of a another downturn

"Internal Audit/Enterprise Risk Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned to research executives prior to accepting an offer.

Cons

This is a highly volatile bank. I had no business working there based on my resume. The executives are a joke, namely the CRO and CFO while I was there (I'm sure it's the same considering their pasts/skill sets). Oversight is nonexistent and there is no strategic vision for the company. The regulators wanted qualified individuals to facilitate oversight and leadership did not understand the fallout of hiring high quality auditors. The big 4 is not interested in external audit or co-sourcing internal audit based on reputation and their propensity to turn a blind eye to large issues. McGladery is under-equipped to be issuing an opinion. If you choose to accept a job and are a CPA make sure you have a good lawyer to advise you when you find large issues that the audit committee ignores. Also, females beware.

Advice to Management

None. Executive coaching is non-existent. Robert Sarver is an expert at everything. Just ask him.

"Great People, Entrepreneurial Culture"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a great company to work for. A lot of hard working people across the bank, both in internal and customer facing roles. Because this is a mid-sized bank undergoing rapid growth, there are a lot of opportunities to grow and learn new disciplines. While not politic-free, many colleagues are generally well-intentioned, passionate, and hard working. Our executives have a customer-first mindset and factor that into decision making. Nice facilities to work in, good location in the heart of downtown. Onsite parking provided. Gym available right off the lobby.

Cons

With a lot of recent growth and some turnover in internal roles, internal processes and communication sometimes leave a bit to be desired and like they haven't quite "caught up" for a bank of this size. Working from home is occasionally allowed, but varies depending on your organization and manager. If you work in downtown Phoenix and live in one of the suburbs, traffic getting to and from downtown can eat a lot of your time.

"Accounting Department"

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

Great work environment, interesting and complex focus areas, and an overall well rounded work experience. WAL has a small company feel with the resources and opportunities of a large company.

Cons

Overall flexibility is good; however, teleworking is not well received but permitted as needed. The review process and career path guidance is very informal and you may need to take the lead on making this a priority for yourself.

Advice to Management

Enhance the employee focus as it relates to formal review and career path expectations and plans.

"Lack of integrity"

Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people. Business is good as long as people continue to cover for poor organization. Location is interesting and centrally located.

Cons

Preferential treatment- not what you know but who you are willing to agree. What are you willing to to do and do you have integrity to stand up.

Advice to Management

Take out the poor leadership at the very top. Try telling the truth. Try leadership training. Get a real HR leader.

"Worst company I have ever worked at ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Some people are great to work with, but that is few and far between.

Cons

Management does not effectively communicate and creates a negative work environment. HR does nor create a people oriented environment and handles issues in an unethical manner. Doing the right thing is not part of the culture and likely never will be. The company is only about the bottom line and executive leadership will do anything to meet their goals. If you are a "yes" person then this is the workplace for you.

Advice to Management

People should be a priority and should be valued as human capital.

"You will regret accepting an offer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Coworkers are mostly pleasant

Cons

Just the most misguided dysfunctional place you could possibly ever imagine. Awful benefits. WAB treats employees like garbage. You're not allowed to have work life balance and management will belittle you and play favorites.

An email came out saying they were targeting 3.5% merit/equity increases for the 2016 annual employee reviews which was followed by a correction email that came out minutes later saying they were targeting 2.5%. You can tell yourself it was a harmless typo but anyone who had been at the bank for longer than 2 weeks would tell you the owner crunched the numbers and decided he'd rather keep an extra ~$900,000, buy himself a jet, and allow the discontent to fester.

Advice to Management

Replace HR and fire IT