Western Alliance Bank "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Alliance Bank Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Sep 12, 2019

2.9
Western Alliance Bank CEO Kenneth A. Vecchione (no image)
Kenneth A. Vecchione
Pros
  • "There are some really great people in pockets of the organization(in 7 reviews)

• "The bonus structure is competitive and includes an annual bonus available to all colleagues based on bank performance measures(in 4 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Beautiful Building but BAD Bank"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant to Chief Auditor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gorgeous and safe office space, great resources and some kind support staff.

Cons

Wow. This place couldn’t keep staff for longer than 6 months to a year due to hostile work environment, lack of structure and organization, zero protocols being followed and extreme personalities in upper management that were awful to deal with.

Advice to Management

Make some guidelines...follow them. Repeat. Train your directors and managers to treat support staff like humans and not dogs.

Western Alliance Bank2019-09-12

"Very toxic work environment"

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

Some nice people Generally reasonable hours The company is doing well financially

Cons

This place is the definition of toxic work environment. Politics, inappropriate behavior, senior leadership not doing their jobs. On my first day, at orientation, we were advised by HR that if we had a problem, we should just 'go with the flow' and 'try to be flexible'. I had no idea that they meant accepting rampant unprofessionalism, but I probably should have known right then. While there were a lot of good people there, the overall attitude of the place was hostile to cooperation and getting work done in a way that consistently surprised me, since that kind of attitude only hinders the business. There was very high turnover in most departments, and unfortunately the better employees were usually the ones leaving. The business is doing well financially and is consistently ranked highly, so I probably wouldn't hesitate to invest in it, but I certainly would not work there, even just for a short time to get experience. There are a lot of other places where you can get a similar job with very little downside.

Western Alliance Bank2018-10-01

"The WORST place to work"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Western Alliance is hands down one of the worst organizations to work for. The Bank’s leadership has ingrained a culture of publicly disrespecting, bullying and chastising employees to paint themselves in a better light. They have an extremely high turn over rate, largely due to hiring incompetent, unqualified leaders who resort to brown-nosing to survive. It’s a very toxic work environment and is not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and don't allow executives to bring their personal problems and drama to the workplace. Just because they hate the world it doesn't give them an excuse to verbally abuse their staff. Also, stop hiring incompetent 'friends' and look to hire qualified individuals that have actual industry experience and can add value.

Western Alliance Bank2018-05-16

"Don't let performance cloud the truth"

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Bank is a high performing bank and the stock has performed well.

Cons

Where to begin....if you like a back-stabbing, gossipy, dis-functional work environment, then this is the place for you! Favoritism and double-standards run a muck.... so many people should be fired or demoted, but somehow, they keep their executive and senior level roles. Many employees with executive in their title are incompetent as leaders and managers. Turnover is high, especially at the entry level and 2-3 years of experience. Young employees get discouraged by the lack of teamwork and mentoring - they vote with their feet and leave. Employees who diligently try to improve the situation are labeled as malcontents or trouble makers by management and executives. Many executives are coasting and do nothing to grow the business or mentor younger employees. Just spend a few months here and you will understand why bankers have the bad reputation that they hold in the public's eye. No one trusts anyone here - it is a crazy environment that is sugar coated by management and papered over by the stock price. Look no further than the sorry state of Phoenix Suns basketball franchise for an example of how the CEO leads and manages.

Advice to Management

Get a real look in the mirror and realize how dis-functional your bank is. Replace legacy division executives with real professional leaders and managers. Have HR manage the comments from executives in company meetings before a sexual harassment suit is unleashed.

Western Alliance Bank2017-11-06

"Extremely unprofessional"

I worked at Western Alliance Bank

Pros

Some of the people were nice, and the facility was nice. The bank is doing well financially.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional, inappropriate work environment. Lack of organization. I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews about high turnover online.

Advice to Management

Fix the toxic culture.

Western Alliance Bank2017-06-22

"Worst company I have ever worked at ..."

in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Alliance Bank for more than a year

Pros

Some people are great to work with, but that is few and far between.

Cons

Management does not effectively communicate and creates a negative work environment. HR does nor create a people oriented environment and handles issues in an unethical manner. Doing the right thing is not part of the culture and likely never will be. The company is only about the bottom line and executive leadership will do anything to meet their goals. If you are a "yes" person then this is the workplace for you.

Advice to Management

People should be a priority and should be valued as human capital.

Western Alliance Bank2016-09-15

"Bad Corporate Environment to the Extreme"

IT Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank

Pros

Pay was good, was interesting working downtown and in skyscraper

Cons

Bad benefits. Health insurance was sub-par. HR department immature and unethical in their actions. IT Department was a revolving door of people. Mostly because of the management decisions, and actions. If they didn't like you, which was most, you were terminated. FTE or Contractor. Didn't matter. I worked many hours and was salaried. Told I really didn't put in the extra time. Responsibilities were given that were out of scope with job. Favoritism was rampant. Lots of behaviors that played out like a reality TV show where people are voted off the island so to speak. No work life balance. Organizational goals were in flux daily. Fires always being put out daily and many times could have been avoided. VPs use worker bees as escape goats for their bad decisions. Very cut throat department with people being nice but then later throwing you under the bus. Bad corporate culture to the extreme. VPs don't like being questioned when facts support they are clearly not disseminating the correct information. Unrealistic expectations of employees like business trips that get extended by days at no notice. Trouble getting reimbursement for travel expenses on out state business trips after you paid out of your own pocket. Went on for weeks. Tense work environment. All in all, it started great and I was their biggest supporter then I was slowly treated with no respect and poorly after being so ethical and hard working. Not sure what the environment is in 2016 but in hind sight I could have saved a lot of time and heart ache by skipping this opportunity.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the VPs that have been there the last few years. They are holding the IT dept back and ruining a culture that could be collaborative and decent place to work with vindictive behavior and superiority complexes. All my working career never seen anything like it. Revamp HR department. Immature HR group leaving Western Alliance open to liabilities with their actions.

Western Alliance Bank2016-03-07

"IT Department Fail at Western Alliance Bank"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only pros I can come up with is the pay was average to a bit above and being a small bank there was the potential to affect the bottom line. Unfortunately, the IT VPs/CTO inhibited that. I will address in the Cons.

Cons

Poor work environment. Leaders in the IT Department are not forthright and deal with employees in a very nasty way by berating and not giving direct feedback. New of employees that never got reviews then months later were let go. Bad or non-existent feedback loop. Leaders play favorites with lower level employees. No clear direction by IT Leaders. Mostly putting out fires from preexisting systems or because of bad IT Management decisions. I agree with another review I saw. Working in this companies IT Department will stunt your skills and ultimately hurt your career. If anything being associated with sub-par management and ethics. Very stressful. No work life balance for IT Management subordinates. Management routinely breaks promises regarding pay and work schedules. Will bait and switch presented opportunities when you get hired if were contractor first.

Advice to Management

This advice is to CEO and upper Executives/Board at Western Alliance. Get rid of your upper management in the IT Department before it is too late. They are cultivating a culture of retaliation for ideas that are good, out of the box, and anyone else who even voices a different opinion they shun/get rid of. Their vision that so far has proven to cause problems, be ineffective, and will eventually be even more destructive to Western Alliance Bank as a whole. A lot of damage may have already been done.

Western Alliance Bank2015-03-16

"IT - Security Engineer"

Former Contractor - Security Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Alliance Bank for less than a year

Pros

Small company. Companies cash position seems good.

Cons

Poor management, poor benefits. IT department disjointed and practices unethical practices. No clear vision. Work environment reminiscent of jr high school. Too many politics and egos.

Advice to Management

Review your IT department. The IT VPs and CTOs vision isn't clear. They treat people unethically. For all their experience you would think they would make better decisions. Western Alliances IT department are going to do considerable damage to Western Alliances brand.

Western Alliance Bank2014-09-13