Western Dental Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 1, 2019

3.7
Dan Crowley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "WDS receives 3 stars because it is a great place to get established in the industry" (in 8 reviews)

• "Fast paced; lots to learn and a strong steady organization" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management changes frequently, turnover is high among employees, the employees are paid very low, but managers and above are above market" (in 13 reviews)

• "Different management on a constant basis, Compensation does not match the amount of work that you are expected to provide" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Embracing Change, Growing, and Keeping Employees Engaged"

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Western Dental has a long history. They have been around for over 100 years. With that longevity comes experience, leverage, and the ability to make improvements quickly and with adequate resources. The company has made strides to develop solid compensation programs and incentives ranging from financial to career development. Team members and providers have opportunities to enhance their career trajectory in a forum that most other companies and private dental offices are not able to provide.
    Western is growing and building in to the dental home for the entire family with all specialties and finance programs available under one roof.

Cons

I would not call this a con, but rather an opportunity. With growth comes the need for more team members and the support in the offices. Western is always looking for talented providers and team to join.

2. "Great learning opportunity"

I worked at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Tons of patients and guaranteed salary.

Cons

Not patient centered and only focused on short term gains

3. "Better Speak Spanish"

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Good place for teamwork and a stable job, lots of opportunities to advance

Cons

not speaking spanish will hurt you, management expects too much and gives too little

Advice to Management

Spend more money on the needs of the office

4. "I was overworked and underpaid."

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Whittier, CA

I worked at Western Dental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I meet alot of nice coworkers

Cons

Alot of favortism... No bonuses.

Advice to Management

Dont use call center to over book appointments!

5. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tiffanie helped me throughout the hiring process. It helps when someone is constantly updating you on the process unlike other places that forget to call you.

Cons

I haven't had any issues.

"Company offers gifts and incentives to employees to place reviews online"

Current Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Merced, CA

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, PTO, 401k but no matching

Cons

unethical, overworked, poor patient care, SRPs back to back all day. Management will email you everyday to report your production, if you dont meet the $1800 production goal they will call you out on the email sent to entire region of hygienists. Dont believe the incentive package they promote, the production goal is $1800 average a month in production. In my region maybe two out of 30 hygienists would meet this goal. Its impossible to reach, you wont be making any bonus so make sure to negotiate a higher wage. Dont take the job for low wage and bring the wages down for the profession.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing providers to sell unneeded treatment to patients

Western Dental Services Response

Jan 10, 2019 – Senior Director, HR

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. Western Dental always aims to provide patient care in a fair, ethical, and legal manner. Please contact our compliance officer, Rich Marotti... More

"Offers employees gifts and incentives to write positive reviews - that sums up the ethical practices."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I worked at Western Dental Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired if you are in desperate need of a job. Hey, they even hire the dentists from Craig’s List, so you too have a shot.

Cons

Employees and patients are treated like a number and simply a means to make more money. Highly unethical practices occur with patient care. So many employees are great people but they are always HIGHLY pressured to ignore doing the right thing in order to increase production. For example, don’t offer metal braces to patients because they don’t make you money. Instead offer gold, clear, etc. If patients ask for something else you tell them it’s not their best option, or not an option. If executives are pushing dental implants push patients to do this - upsell even if patients can’t afford this. Tell the patients they are making the wrong choice. Or that is necessary instead of a doctor telling them it’s a great choice, here’s why. If you can’t here is option B.

Employees are threatened if the don’t make goals. They are are tracked many times a day with what their numbers are. What did they sell. How many patients were seen. People are overworked. Afraid. Burnt out. Stressed. Customer Service and patient care is not a priority. Constantly asked to push patients to review us online. Google, Yelp, Facebook. Take a look at Yelp reviews before applying. Yelp makes it much harder to get fake reviews posted. Trust me, we’ve tried. Look at many locations. It will
    Tell you the truth. We have goals of number of positive reviews we get per day, week, month. Managers have goals they have to reach so they earn bonuses. Managers and Offices are pressured from corporate to help them reach their goals. If you do, you get paid bonus of cash or prizes. Employees write many fake reviews, not because they want to but because jobs and goals and money depend on it. Same with writing Glassdoor reviews. We are asked to leave positive ones to enter contests to get iPads, gift cards etc.

Of course there are some good people, but they outweigh the bad, and usually leave. If you need a quick job - ok. But don’t let yourself think practices will change. They do not. I worked there for 10 years and always hoped that with a new management team, new executives, things would change. It never did. There is a CRAZY amount of turn over at the office, management, corporate level. People do not stay - and there is a big reason for it. I stayed way too long. Way too many stories about shady business practices but if you stand up to and speak up, you get talked to. It’s not welcomed to point out what should be fixed.

Take these positive reviews with extreme caution. Most are faked. Someone probably won a nice gift card for writing it.

Advice to Management

Grown a conscience. Yes, you are a business that wants to make money but you are also a medical company they should put ethical practices and patient care above all else. All managers and above should be patients of your company. Most are you not Western Dental patients and have never used your services. Until you are comfortable enough to be treated by your own practice, you should not treat others.

Western Dental Services Response

Jan 10, 2019 – Senior Director, HR

8. "Good Company"

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

The pros are that the company is still growing.

Cons

No real downside at this time

9. "Rcm"

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Good family and work balance

Cons

Low pay . other people come in making more while the people that been there longer are making verry little

"Receptionist/Pcc"

I worked at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Co workers were the best part of it all. Good hours .

Cons

Manager blames everybody but herself for errors done in the office. I started as a PCC even though i had applied for receptionist . I was given the opportunity to switch from PCC to receptionist so i took it, it ended up being the worst mistake of my life due to the fact that after this position change, the manager decided to make my life a living hell . Cut my hours, cut my days, cut my pay and kept sending me to different office locations to work in until she threatened to fire me 3x due to my incompetence, Keep in my mind that i basically trained myself for receptionist . She made everything personal. Very unprofessional, half of the staff complained about her on a daily.

Advice to Management

Favoritism in a work place never sits well! neither does mixing professional with Personal. If you can't seperate the two then you shouldn't be manager!