Western Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Digital President & CEO Stephen D. Milligan
Stephen D. Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is far from Great (in 17 reviews)

• Firstly 1) The working environment in my org was garbage (in 28 reviews)

1. "Building Up Bad Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comparative Technology
    Vide spectrum of storage patents
    Board is strong

Cons

Very bad mid to lower level management
    In-necessary politics and clear direction
    In-experienced mid to lower level management in identifying employees talent and setting goals

Not following performance goals and mid to lower management has zero clarity

Pure decisions by mid to lower level
    Letting go highly talented employees or make inconvenience to higher talented people and letting them choose to leave (kind of forcing)

Advice to Management

It not too late
    Just hammer mid to lower level management
    Conduct employee operations on their direct and above direct reporting
    I am sure top management will find surprise results

2. "Company with full of politics"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is mature for its technology. HDD industry has been existing for many years.

Cons

HDD is shrinking. People who do the work are actually left out and those who are visible through meetings and talking gets more rewarded. The importance of work does not really matter here. Its the visibility of work that gets more attention. And it depends on your manager if they want to make it visible.

Advice to Management

How is it possible with smaller workforce due to integration and shrinking business, the number of managers above employees increase ?

"poor culture"

Former Employee - Principal Firmware Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Firmware Engineer

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

interesting work if you ignore all the roadblocks created by other staff and management

Cons

many members of my technical team would consistently claim to management that it is "stupid" to do something or "impossible" instead of buckling down and solving problems. just a depressing culture seeing members of my team promoted for not solving problems but instead self-proclaiming themselves as experts. i came from legacy hgst. at that time, the pushback was rightfully from above, but i've never been on a worse engineering team as far as culture after the merger as far as having talent at wrong influence levels and setting very poor work environment examples.

Advice to Management

bring back peer reviews. it seems the talkers get recognition and promotion. engage in skip levels to really understand management effectiveness.

"Disrespectful and unprofessional staff from top to bottom"

Pros

"Unlimited pto" if you can get it approved and it doesn't affect your work much

Cons

People who work here are very rude, unprofessional and do not collaborate. Cross functional teams blame and belittle each other. A lot of misplaced anger from self-righteous people.

Advice to Management

Offer courses on working in teams, professionalism and anger management. Everyone is on the same team. Dont use coworkers or subordinates as verbal punching bags.

"Senior Firmware Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really bright engineering team and a lot of access to various experts.

Cons

Project Management caused many schedule delays through poor planning. It was a really toxic work environment with a lot of aggressive individuals. I experienced many sexist comments throughout my years there.

Advice to Management

Project planning needs improvement often risk factors were overlooked that impeded the success of projects. HR department is really unprofessional.

"Top-heavy, dead weight...nepotism at almost all levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comprehensive health insurance benefits.
    401K is standard.
    Unlimited vacation (depends on your manager)
    Not much to share in that space.

Cons

Layoffs every quarter for the past 3 years as part of the integration process and now called the transformation year.

Layoffs are scheduled on a quarterly cadence, and some executives continue to post their lavish vacations on FB and IG during the layoffs week. They sacrifice the worker bees to keep the highly paid management team.

Work environment is the worst I have seen in my years of employment at WD. It's the survival of the fittest.

Welcome to the "mean girls" and "boys club" environment. The path to promotion or keeping your job is undermined by nepotism and has become a common practice, starting with middle management.

Business plans and ID designs are dependent on management's wives or management's children's vote. It's a joke! Never mind that market research is in the queue.

Advice to Management

You will never get organic teamwork. No advice.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flash selling well. Great idea to buy SanDisk

Cons

1) awful management in enterprise group through entire chain.
    2) WD cut salaries and competition and force sales team to sell terrible object store platform.
    3) manipulate compensation plans in the middle of quarters and after quarter is over.
    4) do not want over achievers
    5) field sales managers never ever sold before. They have no power to make any decisions at all.

Advice to Management

Get rid of that garbage object store. No one wants to buy it.

"Management"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital (More than 5 years)

Pros

No Pros that I can honestly list.

Cons

Terrible management, they don't actively listen to their employees. A 6 month cadence for reviewing the company organizational chart is not instilling any confidence in the employee that there is job stability at WD/HGST. How can anyone expect a company to do well with this type of non-motivational action?

Advice to Management

Try to proactively listen to your employees and take an active role regarding their concerns and issues. Management needs to instill confidence in the employees that they have some type of job stability.

"WD is the worst company I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

WD know too less about what is needed to run a semi company like Legacy SanDisk did.

Advice to Management

Pay like a Si valley that's it. Look at the other companies, is all about incentive .

"Sandisk QA"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is regarding Sandisk which got acquired by WD. The sandisk campus has nicely renovated buildings and facilities such as the onsite gym but that's about it. The product I was working on did not have any overlap with Western Digital so there wasn't really a risk of being laid off in my group.

Cons

Ask if your team has a lot of h1b's and contractors. If so, don't join if you have other job options because you might be joining my former sandisk QA group which was terrible. It was not worth the salary to stay there. Your career will stagnate for low pay and ill treatment and no recognition. I was given an increasing workload and responsibilities over a couple years but no raise. Whether before or after the acquisition my department has been consistently bad. On the surface the buildings are sleek and modern. However after a while it feels very cold and soulless like an asylum. Firstly 1) The working environment in my org was garbage. Everyone in my org was overworked. Meetings were often contentious where managers or coworkers openly chastise others. It seemed like this behavior was not discouraged but in fact tolerated. The only people to get raises or promotions were brusk dictator-like A-type jerks, or poor workaholics who spent every waking hour working their lives away. Secondly 2) the Pay was terrible because raises/promotions are so infrequent. So you will get saddled with more responsibilities but no raise to match it for years. Also, my team was almost all H1B's or contractors which gives management no reason to give decent compensation. How can you ask for a raise when you are surrounded by h1b's and contractors who are making peanuts? So the overall message was that the workers were expendable cheap labor. If you didn't like it, too bad, you could be replaced easily with an H1B or contractor. Thirdly 3) the deadlines are inflexible and unrealistic. Even if I had a valid reason for a delay, the upper management would act angry without first hearing the whole story, or ask rapid fire questions and keep interrupting me without much interest in my inputs or concerns. Not a good environment at all. Fourth-ly 4) Management micromanages like crazy and are obsessed with reports. You will spend as much time on JIRA or reporting as time spend on actual engineering work. There's a cumbersome JIRA system where you have to log how many hours per week you work on each thing and mark the progress of tens of JIRA items every week. And they have project managers hounding you to adhere to that every week. Not to mention weekly and monthly status reports that I don't think my direct manager even bothered to read even though I had to send it out. Don't work for sandisk QA if you have other options.

Advice to Management

Do something about above complaints.