Western Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is far from Great (in 17 reviews)

• Firstly 1) The working environment in my org was garbage (in 28 reviews)

"Compensation/Visibility/Responsibilities"

Current Employee - Technologist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technologist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting technical challenges. Good work life balance (if you work for media).

Cons

No visibility after HGST management took over post-integration in 2016. Extremely top heavy. Non technical program managers seem to be running the show for new technologies. Engineers from R&D barely get a chance to present in front of senior management. Too many former "people managers" behave like "technical leads" without contributing anything to the project and deliverables (they still end of making a lot more than other engineers who are actually hard working and come up with new and innovative ideas). Wonder how these people were not let go during the massive lay offs last year! Some of these non-performers have been with the company for almost 4 years now. All they do is prepare some excel sheets and spend the rest of their day walking around the building and talking on the phone. Do not expect any reasonable increments during ACR or promotion unless you have a competing job offer.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to engineers who perform. Get rid of non performers and non-technical people managers (we all know who they are). Give better pay increments to engineers.

"Disrespectful and unprofessional staff from top to bottom"

Pros

"Unlimited pto" if you can get it approved and it doesn't affect your work much

Cons

People who work here are very rude, unprofessional and do not collaborate. Cross functional teams blame and belittle each other. A lot of misplaced anger from self-righteous people.

Advice to Management

Offer courses on working in teams, professionalism and anger management. Everyone is on the same team. Dont use coworkers or subordinates as verbal punching bags.

"Senior Firmware Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Firmware Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really bright engineering team and a lot of access to various experts.

Cons

Project Management caused many schedule delays through poor planning. It was a really toxic work environment with a lot of aggressive individuals. I experienced many sexist comments throughout my years there.

Advice to Management

Project planning needs improvement often risk factors were overlooked that impeded the success of projects. HR department is really unprofessional.

"Good company to work for over 5-yrs ago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, salary, stocks and overall compensation. Flexible working environment. Was able to work from home if need be.

Cons

Used to be great place to work about 6 years ago. Now, the environment is different. Too many re-organization. Most positions in Irvine (Southern California) are shifted to Northern California (Milpitas & San Jose), Asia or completely eliminated. Employees in Southern California feel ignore or like second class. Management lags vision and strategy the past few years.

Advice to Management

Don't neglect employees based in Southern California and try to move everything to Northern California. Re-focus the vision and strategy how to grow the business.

5. "WD Engineering"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, Effective Tools, Rewarding Assignments

Cons

Bit of a Sweat Shop
    Little to no raises
    Spinning Disks are dieing

Advice to Management

Management seems to place little value on employees and way too much value on investors. Eager to let people go even when the company is doing well.

"Demand Planning Analyst"

Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows autonomy in completing goals. Good 401K and employee buy-in on company stock shares. Flexible PTO with two weeks off during year due to shutdown.

Cons

Really poor medical coverage. Also, no pay raises (at my level) unless you are promoted. After two years of completing all of my goals and taking on half of my manager's responsibilities while he was out on maternity leave, I was told that I would need to complete at least five years of working at a Senior level analyst in order to be promoted to a Senior Analyst. I was like "WTF?" How is that I need to work another three years performing at a Sr Analyst level in order to be promoted to a Sr Analyst? After 2.5 years with WD, I was contacted by a recruiter and offered a better position, which I accepted. Why am I going to wait three years to be considered for promotion that will allow a pay increase when I can go to another company and earn 12K more? No reason at all. Adios, WD.

Advice to Management

Try promoting your good employees to keep them.

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very kind. The workplace has a relaxed atmosphere, and work life is mostly stress-free.

Cons

The industry is already mature and the technology may become obsolete in the future.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a good job preparing for the future.

"Staff Product Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Product Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Product Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Review is based on SanDisk experience
    Good RSUs
    If you negotiate well before joining, you will be in good shape
    Bonus% is better than many companies
    Potential to get promoted quickly if you can showcase your skills and have a good manager
    Flexible hours - no micromanagement
    Potential to grow professionally and financially

Cons

Politics in middle management
    You need to know people to get things done
    Most managers are not qualified enough to guide a team, no vision, no long term goals
    People are not great technically but gets things done. This can cause unmotivated workplace, work can get boring. Very few smart people around

Advice to Management

Perhaps time to review your middle management and make changes
    Time to innovate

"Top-heavy, dead weight...nepotism at almost all levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comprehensive health insurance benefits.
    401K is standard.
    Unlimited vacation (depends on your manager)
    Not much to share in that space.

Cons

Layoffs every quarter for the past 3 years as part of the integration process and now called the transformation year.

Layoffs are scheduled on a quarterly cadence, and some executives continue to post their lavish vacations on FB and IG during the layoffs week. They sacrifice the worker bees to keep the highly paid management team.

Work environment is the worst I have seen in my years of employment at WD. It's the survival of the fittest.

Welcome to the "mean girls" and "boys club" environment. The path to promotion or keeping your job is undermined by nepotism and has become a common practice, starting with middle management.

Business plans and ID designs are dependent on management's wives or management's children's vote. It's a joke! Never mind that market research is in the queue.

Advice to Management

You will never get organic teamwork. No advice.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flash selling well. Great idea to buy SanDisk

Cons

1) awful management in enterprise group through entire chain.
    2) WD cut salaries and competition and force sales team to sell terrible object store platform.
    3) manipulate compensation plans in the middle of quarters and after quarter is over.
    4) do not want over achievers
    5) field sales managers never ever sold before. They have no power to make any decisions at all.

Advice to Management

Get rid of that garbage object store. No one wants to buy it.