Western Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Jan 7, 2017

2.6
Western Federal Credit Union Chief Executive Officer  Gordon Howe (no image)
Gordon Howe

"Member Service Representative"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

The company is amazingly caring. I have never been a part of a company that is SO there for you as this one is.

Cons

I went through a lot of interviews. Two in store and over 3 over the phone.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-08-30

"Not like a Credit Union! Sneaky Practices, Cut Throat!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paycheck, Education reimbursement. 401k, medical, vacation.

Cons

You would like working there…. If you just need a paycheck If you like rules without reason If you like to be considered a replaceable unit If you like to see millions of dollars spent at an ad agency trying to clean up your reputation by changing your brand Once a company gets that taste of big profits, then everything is about “big profits”, the numbers. The very reason people don’t like Big Banks is the very reason people don’t like working there. The turnover is very high and the reviews here are true in my experience. The Managers aren’t trained but promoted because they are friends with VPs. What normal business person would think it’s a good idea to change your brand, website, intranet, banking software and move 150 extra people into a already cramped office within in a few months. This isn’t growing pains, this is insanity. Changing the name to Unify doesn't change a established bad reputation. Most people love their credit union our members take to social media to vent real issues and concerns. Their solution to clean it up is to just change the name. The culture is to lay low, do your job and keep your mouth shut.

Western Federal Credit Union2017-01-08

"Marketing Dept"

Marketing Research Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union for less than a year

Pros

Great existing marketing programs and plans.

Cons

Disorganized senior management, do not respect employees.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-11-16

"Very Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many talented people who are great to work with. This is the only positive thing that I can claim

Cons

I think one of the other reviewers said it, but the culture will not change with the change of the company name. It starts at the top, not just the employees who are hired. There seems to be a clear separation in management's mentality -- two schools of thought. Half of the senior management team is from the old school of thinking and the other half is of the new, cool management style. Unfortunately, the "old-school-of-thought" people are in some very key positions and not enough of the "new management style" people. They do not allow the new leadership to change things or influence the culture enough. With this backward thinking and much push back the culture that they are trying to achieve will take years. So far, it seems that favoritism, backstabbing and throwing people under the bus is the norm around here. Many of them aren't able to communicate well or in a calm matter and they evoke an unnecessary stressful environment that fosters a negative, unpleasant and hostile environment. Feeling that your superiors don't have your back is one of the worst feelings ever. The people with the old school mentality are entitled, bitter, and fake. They might be smiling in your face, but gladly stabbing you in the back, a clicky group that promotes friends over talented people.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-10-28

"Real Estate Production Team"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Torrance, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very helpful team including direct boss, supervisor, closers and underwriters. They made employees feel appreciated with hosting events for us, providing food, acknowledgement emails and the environment all in all was very relaxed and professional.

Cons

I noticed a lot of employees were temps hired through agencies and were not directly hired with company even after 1-2 years of being employed.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-08-24

August 29, 2016VP Human Resources

We love hearing employees had a positive experience as part of our team! Thank you for your contribution to our success and taking the time to share your experience. We have to admit, we sure are very lucky with the talented temps that work for us. Be assured whenever we have the opportunity UNIFY promotes internally from our talent pool. We appreciate your comment and wish you continued success!

"A name change can't change the true culture at this place"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union

Pros

At this point it is very difficult to think of any as I am looking to leave the company.

Cons

I am a long time employee and have watched the top executives turn this place into a “Mad Men” episode of old school management thinking. They have spent the past 6 months working on a “bait and switch” by trying to orchestrate a name change trying to act like they are working on the corporate culture. All the corporate culture left when there was a mass exodus of the past HR team – All I know for a fact, is that the last 3 reviews that have above 4 stars on this site are a straight attempt from someone in Western’s management trying to put lipstick on their pig – oink oink. My only motivation on writing this was I am looking to get off this sinking ship and was curious what people were saying only to see the executives at Western doing their normal manipulative hocus pocus by magically having a handful of 5 star reviews crafted by an executives hand - I would guess an HR executive from the vocabulary selection.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-09-09

September 15, 2016VP Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. As a long time team member we absolutely value your perspective. And, you’re right, a name change cannot change a culture. The true culture of any organization is driven by its team members. We hope that with your tenure, you would contribute by helping to transform UNIFY into a culture where you are proud to be a part and excited to grow. As with any rebrand, we know the last year has been challenging for many of our team members and we appreciate the hard work expended by so many who are transforming our culture. Leadership is firmly committed to a “Better Together” culture and have challenged everyone to lean into this shift and work toward a positive and gratifying work environment at UNIFY. And, by adding team engagement metrics, the Gallup Survey, 3-day off site leadership training and continuing team member awards, we hope you see the commitment is real. Have you joined one of the new Value Committees? It’s a great way to step into a leadership role in helping shape our culture. It lets you directly have a voice to help drive how we live our values. No one person or group can do this alone, it's a team effort. We hope that in time you view this as an opportunity to really step in and help shape UNIFY. We also ask you reconsider leaving, and instead stay and join the ongoing efforts and give it a chance. If you decide to stay, please reach out to HR, we would love to help you find your desired area of the company to help improve your experience. As an aside, Glassdoor.com has an elaborate algorithm that is used to ensure that only legitimate posts are made to a company’s Glassdoor page. Rest assured the postings from current and former team members are uniquely theirs and likely represent their experience at the time of posting. Thank you!!

7. "Branch Manager"

Branch Manager in Blue Springs, MS

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union for more than a year

Pros

I am so glad I applied for a position with Western. This is the first financial institution I have worked for (out of 4) that actually appreciates their employees and respects its customers/members. This company has exceeded my expectations and I enjoy working here. The products we offer are the BEST and they actually help our members with their financial goals. It is a progressive and successful work environment.

Cons

Although we are growing at a rapid rate across the country ... it would be wonderful if we had more branches in my area. But with online banking, mobile banking and share branching - members are satisfied and can conduct their banking seamlessly.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-07-29

August 29, 2016VP Human Resources

As an alternative to the ‘Big Banks’ for our members, we also view ourselves as a worthy competitor when it comes to competing for talent. We’re delighted to have you on-board! Your enthusiasm is contagious and your ‘can-do’ attitude reflects so many of our core values. And, our motto of ‘Connect Your Way’ is an invitation not only to our members to reach us no matter where they are located, but for our valued team members who work throughout the country to take advantage of the many learning and development opportunities we have through our web-accessible learning tools and meetings. Thanks for taking time to share!

8. "People Oriented Company"

Business Analyst

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union

Pros

Fast growing organization with a big vision. Great work environment. Extraordinary benefits. People oriented which translates to everything they do.

Cons

Fast growth and change always come with a level of uncertainty and confusion. Management seems to be very aware of challenges brought by rapid growth and they seem to manage change effectively.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-07-29

"Used to be a great place to work"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

High turnover, high workload, low pay, fewer and fewer employee appreciation events.

Western Federal Credit Union2016-08-18

August 31, 2016VP Human Resources

Thank you for being a team member with us for 10+ years! We know you’ve experienced many changes during this time with us, and likely none more so than in the past year. Our team has worked very hard to help us introduce our new UNIFY Financial Credit Union brand, launching our U.S.-based 24/7 call center operation, and most recently, rolling out the a state-of-the-art mobile eBanking platform. Due to so many changes and increased efforts organization-wide we know it has not been easy to have our usual team member events. We hope you enjoyed the day-long brand launch and the company-paid food truck visits this year. We will share your feedback with others, and we hope you used the new Gallup Survey we launched this year to capture how our UNIFY team members were feeling. On a hopeful note, vocal team members like yourself, will help our culture live the “Better Together” motto and we’re excited to report our retention rate has increased over the past year. Please feel free to reach out to our Human Resources team or your manager to discuss any of these topics further. And, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts, we hope together we can create a 5-star experience for all team members!

10. "Right choice"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great company, very good benefits

Cons

So far so good, I enjoy going to work

Western Federal Credit Union2016-07-03

July 25, 2016VP Human Resources

We’re delighted you feel you made the “Right Choice”! UNIFY strives for all our team members and members to share this sentiment. It’s team members like you, who bring enthusiasm and positivity to work every day to create an amazing experience for yourself, co-workers and our members that make UNIFY who we are. Thank YOU for being part of the team!

Found 46 reviews