Western Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Gordon Howe

1. "Marketing Dept"

Former Employee - Marketing Research Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Research Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Great existing marketing programs and plans.

Cons

Disorganized senior management, do not respect employees.

"Not like a Credit Union! Sneaky Practices, Cut Throat!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck, Education reimbursement. 401k, medical, vacation.

Cons

You would like working there….
    If you just need a paycheck
    If you like rules without reason
    If you like to be considered a replaceable unit
    If you like to see millions of dollars spent at an ad agency trying to clean up your reputation by changing your brand

Once a company gets that taste of big profits, then everything is about “big profits”, the numbers. The very reason people don’t like Big Banks is the very reason people don’t like working there.

The turnover is very high and the reviews here are true in my experience. The Managers aren’t trained but promoted because they are friends with VPs.

What normal business person would think it’s a good idea to change your brand, website, intranet, banking software and move 150 extra people into a already cramped office within in a few months. This isn’t growing pains, this is insanity.

Changing the name to Unify doesn't change a established bad reputation. Most people love their credit union our members take to social media to vent real issues and concerns. Their solution to clean it up is to just change the name.

The culture is to lay low, do your job and keep your mouth shut.

Advice to Management

There's a reason for high turnover...everyone else can't be wrong.

"Very Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many talented people who are great to work with. This is the only positive thing that I can claim

Cons

I think one of the other reviewers said it, but the culture will not change with the change of the company name.
    It starts at the top, not just the employees who are hired.
    There seems to be a clear separation in management's mentality -- two schools of thought. Half of the senior management team is from the old school of thinking and the other half is of the new, cool management style. Unfortunately, the "old-school-of-thought" people are in some very key positions and not enough of the "new management style" people. They do not allow the new leadership to change things or influence the culture enough. With this backward thinking and much push back the culture that they are trying to achieve will take years.

So far, it seems that favoritism, backstabbing and throwing people under the bus is the norm around here. Many of them aren't able to communicate well or in a calm matter and they evoke an unnecessary stressful environment that fosters a negative, unpleasant and hostile environment.

Feeling that your superiors don't have your back is one of the worst feelings ever. The people with the old school mentality are entitled, bitter, and fake. They might be smiling in your face, but gladly stabbing you in the back, a clicky group that promotes friends over talented people.

Advice to Management

Senior management, please remember that you work for a credit union not fortune 100 giant. It's just a credit union at which you should be taking care of your people and the members. And please stop comparing unify to the big banks. You don't have the budgets or the number of people to do the same things the big guys are doing. Change your focus to what credit unions are about, the members. Also, improve your processes to make work life easier, there are many inexpensive ways to do so.

"Member Service Representative"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

The company is amazingly caring. I have never been a part of a company that is SO there for you as this one is.

Cons

I went through a lot of interviews. Two in store and over 3 over the phone.

"Real Estate Production Team"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Torrance, CA

I worked at Western Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very helpful team including direct boss, supervisor, closers and underwriters. They made employees feel appreciated with hosting events for us, providing food, acknowledgement emails and the environment all in all was very relaxed and professional.

Cons

I noticed a lot of employees were temps hired through agencies and were not directly hired with company even after 1-2 years of being employed.

Advice to Management

Make your temps permanently hires if they are doing well in their current position.

Aug 29, 2016 – VP Human Resources

We love hearing employees had a positive experience as part of our team! Thank you for your contribution to our success and taking the time to share your experience. We have to admit, we sure are ... More

"A name change can't change the true culture at this place"

Pros

At this point it is very difficult to think of any as I am looking to leave the company.

Cons

I am a long time employee and have watched the top executives turn this place into a “Mad Men” episode of old school management thinking. They have spent the past 6 months working on a “bait and switch” by trying to orchestrate a name change trying to act like they are working on the corporate culture. All the corporate culture left when there was a mass exodus of the past HR team – All I know for a fact, is that the last 3 reviews that have above 4 stars on this site are a straight attempt from someone in Western’s management trying to put lipstick on their pig – oink oink.

My only motivation on writing this was I am looking to get off this sinking ship and was curious what people were saying only to see the executives at Western doing their normal manipulative hocus pocus by magically having a handful of 5 star reviews crafted by an executives hand - I would guess an HR executive from the vocabulary selection.

Advice to Management

Change your ways and treat people like humans and not just a means to the end.

Sep 15, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. As a long time team member we absolutely value your perspective. And, you’re right, a name change cannot change a culture. The true culture of any ... More

8. "Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Blue Springs, MS
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Blue Springs, MS

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

I am so glad I applied for a position with Western. This is the first financial institution I have worked for (out of 4) that actually appreciates their employees and respects its customers/members. This company has exceeded my expectations and I enjoy working here. The products we offer are the BEST and they actually help our members with their financial goals. It is a progressive and successful work environment.

Cons

Although we are growing at a rapid rate across the country ... it would be wonderful if we had more branches in my area. But with online banking, mobile banking and share branching - members are satisfied and can conduct their banking seamlessly.

Aug 29, 2016 – VP Human Resources

As an alternative to the ‘Big Banks’ for our members, we also view ourselves as a worthy competitor when it comes to competing for talent. We’re delighted to have you on-board! Your enthusiasm is ... More

9. "People Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

Pros

Fast growing organization with a big vision. Great work environment. Extraordinary benefits. People oriented which translates to everything they do.

Cons

Fast growth and change always come with a level of uncertainty and confusion. Management seems to be very aware of challenges brought by rapid growth and they seem to manage change effectively.

Advice to Management

Rapid growth requires very strong communication channels throughout organization. I think strong communication will always be a value especially at the time of change.

"Used to be a great place to work"

I have been working at Western Federal Credit Union (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

High turnover, high workload, low pay, fewer and fewer employee appreciation events.

Aug 31, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for being a team member with us for 10+ years! We know you’ve experienced many changes during this time with us, and likely none more so than in the past year. Our team has worked very ... More

11. "Right choice"

Pros

Great company, very good benefits

Cons

So far so good, I enjoy going to work

Jul 25, 2016 – VP Human Resources

We’re delighted you feel you made the “Right Choice”! UNIFY strives for all our team members and members to share this sentiment. It’s team members like you, who bring enthusiasm and positivity ... More