Western Financial Group Reviews

Updated May 8, 2020

3.3
Western Financial Group President and CEO Kenny Nicholls
Kenny Nicholls
Pros
  • "We have really good benefits, 3 weeks of vacation days/year to start along with flex days and sick days(in 9 reviews)

• "Great people and supportive Manager(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great company, great people, strong leadership and only see good things happening in the future"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I see good things happening for both the employees and the company. The change in leadership has brought a new perspective and will take us to the next level, which can only be a good thing. Benefits are improving all the time and the majority of people here are looking for ways to help themselves and the company move forward.

Cons

Who wouldn't like more money? But you look at the whole package and its a pretty good deal compared to other companies in the area.

Western Financial Group2014-08-28

February 8, 2018Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review Western. We appreciate it!

2. "Sales"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

They provide good sales training

Cons

Require a lot of lead generation

Western Financial Group2017-08-28

February 8, 2018Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review Western. We appreciate your candor.

"Branch Manager"

2.0
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom, Bonus, Great Co-Workers, great work environment

Cons

Pay is horrible, health insurance is way too high under the pay you make

Western Financial Group2015-12-09

March 8, 2018Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your candor.

"AMAZING COMPANY - Even in hard times"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Beaverlodge, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture in the office is second to none. I have never felt more comfortable in a new job before. I have had incredible support in my journey to becoming a licensed insurance agent - they are very encouraging and want to see me succeed! I have never worked for a company who stands behind their employees as much as Western Financial Group does. They are VERY focused on their employees and being at the top of the Insurance game!

Cons

Wish I would have started sooner!!!

Western Financial Group2020-05-08
  5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Advancement opportunities, Learning opportunities, Supportive Management

Cons

Challenging to learn the industry at times.

Western Financial Group2020-05-07

"Great Learning Experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Commercial Broker

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

great workflows, team atmosphere, training and program efficiency

Cons

low pay salary creates constant training and hiring of new staff that leave for more money.

Western Financial Group2020-01-27
  7. "Toxic from top down"

1.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s a job not a career, a few if they other employees who work there are great. You will be able to gain experience to move to a company that values their employees

Cons

The company is so top heavy with management, it takes forever for decisions to be made, and not always experienced in insurance so they are not helpful to employees. They keep buying new office instead of worrying about making what they have now better through education training and technology which all three a virtually non existent and management just says we are working on it for the last 2 years. You are expected to live up to your end of the employment deal and they will promise you the world, but unfortunately they never live up to what they say . there is no conflict resolution so if you have a problem with a co worker you suck it up and don’t complain or you will get written up, I could go on about my experience. If you want value, respect integrity this is not the place to work! I have worked at 2 other brokerage is my career and this one is by far the worst....there moto for the year... we got swag, just cause you say it doesn’t mean its true!

Western Financial Group2020-02-09

February 24, 2020Social Media Specialist

Open communication is a key focus at Western Financial Group. We are disappointed to hear that you feel there is a lag time in the decision-making process. We encourage you to reach out to your regional director to discuss this further as it’s a goal within leadership to filter communication fairly for everyone.

8. "Lots of Changes led to a great deal of missed promises"

2.0
    Former Employee - Insurance Advisor in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My peers were great and made it a nice place to work.

Cons

I worked there for several years and during that time there were a lot of changes that they kept saying would lead to better pay and better benefits, but that never happened. The better benefits only applied to a narrow demographic. Changes to the bonus structure were never implemented, then the bonus structure was changed again and again never implemented. In my opinion this led to low morale as long tenured and successful employees weren't being recognized.

Western Financial Group2019-12-06

"Desjardins ruined this company"

Former Employee - Vice President Finance in High River, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Opportunity for bonus, Location

Cons

When purchased by Desjardins the culture changed....not for the better

Western Financial Group2019-11-02

"Leadership Must Change"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kelowna, BC

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, lack of structure and management so poor performers can poorly perform.

Cons

Terrible Management. Discrimination and abuse towards women from Senior Executives. Favoritism is so apparent for a few specific employees which makes for a very disengaging and toxic office environment. The fat has to be cut from the top or they will continue to lose all their good, experienced staff. 95% of their sales staff have already left due to poor management decisions and inexperienced managers in their positions that chose to micro manage as they don’t know what else to do. Everyone is miserable there and it seems like Western is tied up in multiple lawsuits with the staff members that chose to leave for better opportunities.

Western Financial Group2019-09-04