Western Governors University Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Austin, TX

1.3
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Pros
  • Work from home is a definite plus (in 157 reviews)

• WGU meets all of my personal and professional needs, providing a wonderful work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home has challenging aspects and can be isolating (in 20 reviews)

• Call center environment which is customer (student) facing (in 22 reviews)

"Must LOVE Customer Service"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Austin, TX

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In most cases, you can work remotely. Avoiding traffic and saving on gas/car maintenance is a plus. Management is supportive and effective for the most part and open to feedback and new ideas. The benefits aren't bad, either. Health, life, IRA, dental, etc. WGU does give employees opportunity for professional development. There is a pretty good amount of team work, but you still have your slackers and people just taking up space on the network. The tuition discount is amazing! 75% off. If you can hack it, definitely use those benefits.

Cons

The pay. It really sucks. This is a job that would be good for a recent college grad still living at home, someone with additional spousal income, or a retiree. For someone that is living on their own and trying to pay bills and student loans, it's a struggle. There is opportunity for lateral and upward movement, but most of those are in Salt Lake City, where the HQ is located. Not many people want to move to Utah.

Another con is that you pretty much have to be on the phone all day long and meet certain quotas, like 4 hours on the phone and at least 40 dials per day. In the slow season, there just aren't that many people to be called or talk to and employees get dinged for that. Management will ask you to start calling old leads from years ago, in which case those people probably don't want to hear from you. Talking to people all day long, especially those that don't know how to solve their own problems can be mentally draining. Also, when deserving students are not afforded the services they are offered (like when things fall through due to employee faults), it can be really disappointing. There is also the issue of potential students treating enrollment counselors like dirt and then still managing to get on the roll. I understand this is a PR move and no one wants negative publicity, but come on. The technology is often broken. The network is down, the phones are down, the application system is down, the student portal is down. Something is always down. I understand that technology isn't perfect, but after the 20th call from a frantic student, it gets a little old. It's also embarrassing that an online school has so many glitches in their systems. WGU is growing so fast that it's bursting at the seams and can't keep up. So, I can see the good and the bad.

In a nutshell, you need to have minimal living expenses or a second income, or be REALLY interested and enthusiastic about customer service.

Advice to Management

First line management really has no power and are simply there to tend to employees and be the messenger to middle and upper management. Unfortunately, they are the last to know when changes happen and have no pull when it comes to making corrections in all the right places. They do their best to make sure everyone is happy and trained properly. The only advice I can offer is to the people on the top and that is to pay employees more or allocate the grant money better instead of spending it on expensive training trips and other miscellaneous expenses.

"what a waste of time"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Austin, TX

Pros

I have no positive things to say about working here, I wish I could have my two years back

Cons

well you work from home but they have a department that monitors your phone call and email..I put tape over the camera just in case they could watch..
    inside sales...er I mean enrollment is run by ex discover card employees.. there is no higher ed feel to this.. just an inside sales position..
    very judgmental managment and if you don't have a traditional utah mind set .. you wont last

Advice to Management

close the school

"Enrollment Counselor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Austin, TX

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent vision/mission statement, decent pay, honest work that makes a difference

Cons

Lack of transparency in upper management, stifling of creativity, rogue managers left unchecked, dissenting opinions not well tolerated, reluctance to hire from within

Advice to Management

Review cons and do the opposite

"I am an Enrollment Counselor and can wholeheartedly say WGU has a good work environment."

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule
    Work remotely
    Constantly learning new things
    Team concept

Cons

Growing pains from expansive growth
    Salary

Advice to Management

Give staff an opportunity to participate in professional development that isn't home grown or sponsored by WGU