Western Governors University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home is a definite plus (in 161 reviews)

• WGU meets all of my personal and professional needs, providing a wonderful work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to get promoted if you work from home (in 22 reviews)

• Call center environment which is customer (student) facing (in 23 reviews)

"Enrollment Counselor"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment and very good and qualified leads.

Cons

Salary is very discouraging, That leads to huge turnover,

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on training at 5 star resorts and give everyone a reasonable salary.

"Student Mentor"

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working from home. Ability to set own schedule, with some exceptions. It's challenging to truly get away from work, though. It feels like being constantly "on call." Rewarding work if you like helping people.

Cons

WGU is very numbers focused. While you can influence your numbers to a certain degree, there's much that remains out of your control. Despite lots of experience and regardless of how many hours you put it, your numbers still may not make the cut, which puts your job on the line. There's a lot of politics in upper management. You're very lucky if you have a supportive program manager. Many are manipulative and micro-managers. I've learned to not speak my voice and just stay under the radar. It's frustrating to feel unvalued and like my job is always on the line.

Advice to Management

I hope you can learn to value your employees. We used to have a focus on making WGU a great place to work. That seemed to go away and it's no longer a great place to work.

"A great place to be."

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with future students is very inspiring. They know the value of Higher Education and what that would mean to their family if they received it. WGU will go above and beyond to help employees for the most part.

Cons

Its difficult to see a majority of employees work from home, as was promised would happen to myself and peers...only to have policies change to where the department doesnt seem to want anyone to work from home..balancing work and Life. It was discouraging, and ultimately the reason why I resigned. I was commuting too far, spending too much time on the road instead of making use with my family.
    I would have stayed if they honored the previous option to work from home.

Advice to Management

Please please please... Have the "work in office" communicated in the help wanted ads. And maybe determine a specific distance from the office to where future employees live to be a qualification to be hired. Or before offering the position. I dont regret the opportunity I had for working with amazing students or my peers.. I only feel the time I spent was wasted towards. A dream of working at WGU for many years to come. Upper management is very kind I do feel that the team managers need a little more training.

4. "Awesome cultural environment"

Current Employee - Faculty Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Faculty Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, collaboration, skilled and knowledgeable colleagues

Cons

The compensation is on the low-end given the level of responsibilities and importance of the work.

Advice to Management

Adjust compensation to equate to the fantastic work environment.

"Student Mentor - Faculty"

Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you like to be at home
    Establish great relationships with students
    Rewarding experience when you see students graduating despite their obstacles
    Enjoy meeting with colleagues at academic meetings
    Good benefits and health programs
    It could be a great place to work if they were to change a few things

Cons

Micromanagement, at least on my department it is terrible
    Not really flexible, PMs constantly checking your schedule and calling to ensure you're in office
    Upper Admin does not seem not to know that Program Managers tend to be hostile
    Evaluation/Performance is base on numbers not on your level of work or commitment to your students
    Aggressive KPIs, if a mentor doesn't meet their KPI numbers on a monthly basis, s/he is calling for trouble, can be fired.
    Your performance depends on the student's retention and making On-Time Progress, not on you as professional
    A mentor cannot apply to other positions if KPIs are not in good standing
    Not truly a work/life balance as SM are constantly on check

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees, at least student mentors, are not evaluated on numbers, this is discouraging for professionals. Value the work that Student Mentors do and strive to keep the good mentors, don't let them go just because students decided to drop or not make OTP.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Team oriented, great staff and benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Nurse Evaluator"

Former Employee - Nursing Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Nursing Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Work from home is a definite plus. Enjoyed my as nurse evaluator. Able to transition to a full-time nurse educator.

Cons

The pay is not great but when you consider you are not spending money on gas, food, and clothing it is a reasonable salary.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to offer management as I don't know them well. They do a good job of screening employees and making sure the employee is a good fit for the job.

"Student Mentor"

Former Employee - Student Mentor in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Student Mentor in Remote, OR

I worked at Western Governors University (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home is a plus

Cons

Micromanagement, tied to your office and desk with managers frequently checking in. IT issues are constant. Just when you think you know your job and settle in, they change everything without communicating. ahead. Students will know changes coming before employees.They are accepting everyone and holding mentors accountable for students who lack the skills or desire to complete their term course work. New evaluations mean employees will spend more time evaluating each other vs actually doing their jobs of working with students. It is not enough to work here and do your job and collect a paycheck.You are expected to set lofty goals for which they will not reimburse you nor give you the time to accomplish them but then chastise you for not showing movement towards the goals you set at the pushing of your manager. This job is much more than 40hrs a week and you will always be in trouble for something.

Advice to Management

Something is terribly wrong. You have a system in place for getting new students assigned to mentors and require 3 lengthy calls before the 1st of the month yet you continue to assign students on a Friday afternoon on the 30th of the month and expect the mentors to do their job as you direct.

"Don't Drink The Kool-Aid!"

Current Employee - Mentor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Mentor in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

You receive a bi-weekly paycheck.

Cons

WGU is a cult. It operates on cult principles. Dissent or disagreement is not allowed. Twice a year you are forced to attend MK Ultra mind control sessions, (AKA academic meetings) either in Salt Lake City or at one of the Disney campuses. You are wowed with elaborate food spreads, liquor (on your own time) swag bags of worthless junk. The purpose of these meetings is to reapply the mind control you were initially under when you first started, which wears off after about 5 months.

When I first started at WGU, I thought it was wonderful. I get to work from home, I get to help students (mostly adult, non-traditional) get their degree. But THEN, slowly over time, the abuse is introduced, the metrics, the micromanaging, the spying, the threat of losing your job, etc. It starts just like any abusive relationship does. The perpetrator first brings you flowers, is respectful, caring, and considerate. Then, once there is a commitment, out of nowhere comes the yelling, profanity, push or slap. Just read the other reviews. We are not making this up. No employer is perfect. But, WGU is out of control

The job you are thinking of leaving is not this bad. Stay where you are until you have other options. Never have I worked anywhere that I felt watched all of the time. There is an environment of fear. You are not allowed to work another job at while working for WGU. Why, you might ask? It's simple. They do not want you to have options. They want you totally dependent on them (like a cult), so that you are easier to control and threaten. What keeps people there is right out of a domestic violence manual. You're like an abused spouse. You know you should leave. You want to leave. But, you can't seem to extricate yourself from the situation. Working from home is what keeps you in the abusive situation. I'll be the first to admit that working from home affords some major conveniences, e.g. not having to deal with traffic, being able to parent more effectively, spending more time with and being accessible to family. But, at what cost. WGU knows this and uses it to impose its abuse. It's either deal with the abuse or back to cubicle world and a long commute.

The positive reviews on this site are placed either by WGU management looking to offset the negative reviews or they are placed by employees that have only been on the job a short while. This a short-term proposition. Most employees only last a year or two. It could be a great place to work, but management's focus on metric is in the way. As long as there is a supply of starry-eyed idealists, there will be no change. Unless you have some personal situation like elderly parents or a special needs child, look elsewhere. WGU will suck the life out of you then, toss you to onto the unemployment pile.

Advice to Management

Seriously?

"Politics"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice... I guess

Cons

No way to move. Lots of the people graduated for WGU and then went and worked there. You need to have a bach degree to do a monkeys job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.