Western Governors University Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low entry salary, weird office/work from home dynamics (in 29 reviews)

• Very political and work/life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

"Great job environment"

Pros

Great environment, strong team dynamic, accessible management, fun incentives and team building days, good benefits. Promote from within all the time.

Cons

Low entry salary, weird office/work from home dynamics.

Advice to Management

Higher pay would lower turnover.

"Great options for some faculty and students"

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Health benefits
    Supportive org structure

My students come from a wide background. Some have had difficulty in traditional institutions, others simply need flexibility due to constant work travel or family needs. Most students want to do well and progress, it is our job to help them find the motivation. If none exists or they thought this would be easy, we should help them leave....quickly.

Cons

Changing curriculum
    Changing executive direction

Management should provide a better way for us to grade students motivation and success risk. I can typically tell in one term if my student will succeed. We, as student mentors, need to be able to either get additional support for those students or reduce the impact to my own measurement. Examples are students who are simply not responding in the first 3 months, or initial discussions students indicate they thought the just “get” a degree, or students complain about having to work.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the students, this whole thing started because the need to create a flexible learning environment.

3. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work on latest technologies, Scope to learn

Cons

H1B sponsorship, lack of clarity on visa status

"Culture get worse in IT"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit plan.
    Company run stable.
    Nice teammates.

People in the team are very nice and working hard. Everybody knows what they are doing, and willing to help others for cross team projects.
    Most of the older manager and team lead are nice to work with.

Cons

Salary level.
    Culture (IT).

---

Last year the company hired an upper management from Amazon to lead the IT department. Then right after he arrived, he hired more 'amazon guy' to occupy other management role .

Those people from amazon took control of the department and start to brings in harsh culture into the company, and of course change all of the technology to buy amazon cloud services.

IT used to have very nice culture that people help each other and have flexible management style; people willing to stay here even get paid lower.
    But that is not any more, they brings in harsh culture, add a lot of rules, remove work from home policy .... etc.

To be honest, changing the culture and technology might not be a bad thing in certain perspective., the department needs change as the company growth, I could see some positive points. But the way they enforcing all those things and how they treat people are wrong. No where near friendly and no respect to anyone work under them, they treat people like machine.

I would not recommend any IT engineer apply in near future unless you can adapt to amazon culture.

Advice to Management

People work for you are normal human being, they have their own life, family, difficulty and challenges.

Please treat people work for you with some kindness.

"Good Mission, Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

Work from home, inexpensive health insurance

Cons

The university hasn't managed growth well and the VPs and directors have a tendency to see the solution to that to hire more from outside. The challenge is it takes several years for the outside people to understand the university's uniqueness suifficiently to get up to speed so the pace of improvement is very slow. The quality of the university's product was always poor and is remaining stagnant against an advancing market because the university's processes aren't well developed enough to be able to improve the product at the pace that is needed to keep up with the market.

"Student Mentor"

Former Employee - Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easiest job you will ever have. Work from home. Vacation time.

Cons

You are just a number. The organization has grown so fast that it is loosing it's culture. They are bring in people from the outside instead of offering a career path to their tenured employees. No real clear career path. There are very few Latinos at the university and if you are you are probably the token.

Advice to Management

The " leveling up strategy" is driving your top performers away because it is more political than KPI driven. How can you expect and ask your employees to take charge of their careers if you don't have a clear career path for them. The real work stops getting done when all you hire is Master(s) and PhD(s) folks.

"Supportive environment with opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Quality, intelligent, caring people in leadership who genuinely care that their employees feel supported. Rewarded for approaching challenges.

Cons

Salary is lower than average

"Positive work environment"

Current Employee - Faculty - Evaluator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Faculty - Evaluator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedication to students, positive interactions between employees and between employees and management, possibility for advancement, tuition discount for family

Cons

very low pay, no increase in pay for doctoral degree, rapid changes in foundational tech platforms

Advice to Management

More tech stability, improve pay

"Good company to an extent"

Former Employee - Site Support Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Site Support Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. I was not babysat, my bosses trusted me to get my job done and I could take breaks whenever.
    2. I was able to move up quickly
    3. Pay was decent with a bonus if we met our goals(as a university/company)

Cons

1. My boss didn't have my back like they said they did.
    2. To many people are allowed to tell IT what to us and how to use it rather than allowing IT to work how we are supposed to .
    3. Too many people doing their own thing within departments and not using what the company says they should be.

Advice to Management

Have your employees back, when you see a great employee struggling may be talk to them let them know because they may not notice, give advice an example would be "Hey are things Okay, your work is suffering maybe you should take some time off while you deal with this".

"Starts off well but then changes quickly"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A semi-professional atmosphere, President is a decent guy, good product, fairly stress-free job itself (the stress comes from management).

Cons

Very difficult to advance past entry level...unless you are straight out of college, young, good-looking, and in most cases LDS. There is also a disconnect between what they want/need you to do (sales) and what they tell you to do (counsel potential students). This creates a fair amount of confusion with the direction of the company and a constantly changing focus. Results in mediocrity being rewarded with promotions and outstanding employees (along with the bad ones) being kept at entry level. Communication is also poor within departments and between management and enrollment counselors.

Advice to Management

It wouldn't matter...they only listen to themselves.