Western Governors University Reviews

3.6
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher
Pros
Cons
  • "Mentors are evaluated on stats (KPI) and SLA's that are widely out of their control(in 52 reviews)

• "Cannot work from home when we are an online university(in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Best organization that I've worked at so far"

Current Employee - Program Mentor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Organization and leadership seems to truly care about its employees (Scott/CEO is especially great! His wisdom and advice during meetings are insightful and caring, he truly does care about his employees and the students attached to WGU).. WGU's response to COVID19 for employees and students was evidence of that. -WFH is wonderful -Mission and everyday efforts makes a true impact to our communities. Being able to help people change their lives is pretty awesome! -I've learned culture means everything as an employee for an org. Not culture from what they say, but what they DO, and so far WGU has proven to have an outstanding culture through their actions. I'm a fairly new employee, and I've been reviewing a lot of the feedback on here prior to my employment to now. I'm not quite sure why there is such a drastic difference in experience from mine vs some others. Perhaps I am lucky on where I landed within WGU? Maybe issues will be revealed later (I will update this feedback if they do) or maybe they were problem employees but now with a vendetta? I only know about my own experience with WGU and in my opinion, in comparison of where I've worked in several large organizations prior to WGU, I can that this is easily the best place that I've worked for thus so far. I've already turned down roles making $20k + more a year strictly because of how much I value my role at WGU and being able to WFH. IF you're concerned as I am/was from reviewing the feedback on here, remember that there are two sides to every story.

Cons

Mentor SLA's and KPIs are my biggest concern with WGU at this moment. Mentors are evaluated on stats (KPI) and SLA's that are widely out of their control. I hope WGU revamps this as it seems like the current KPI's were introduced without knowing of how to measure a PM's performance. Because mentors performance are determined by their students success (or failure), it means that a PM's evaluation seems to be based off of luck (if you're lucky to have a good batch of successful students/unlucky with a batch of poor students), WGU could be potentially losing a great employee or keeping a toxic/poor employee simply because of the luck factor stemming from improperly measuring PMs performance. I am hoping for advancement opportunities at WGU. Judging by my own experience, I haven't been asked anything about my future ambitions within WGU, which is surprising because I'm wanting to grow & develop within WGU. I'm hoping that the feedback that I've read from others regarding movement within WGU is no longer valid, but right now, I'm not sure. I will update this review as time goes on to share any new insights.

June 24, 2020People & Talent

Thank you for your well-thought-out and detailed review! We are very happy that you are here with us and would love to hear more about your thoughts and how we can improve at people@wgu.edu. Your insight is essential to us as an organization so we can continue learning and figuring out areas of improvement for all our employees. We could not be where we are today without our amazing team! Thank you again.

2. "I finally have my dream job"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WGU is everything you would want in a company. People are valued above all else. I've worked here for almost 6 years and my passion for my job and for how we change peoples lives for the better grows stronger every day.

Cons

I have absolutely NO complaints.

Continue reading
  3. "Fairly nice place to work."

Current Employee - Program Mentor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home and so no commute or having to purchase specific work clothes.

Cons

Low salary for level of education and amount of work especially after normal business hours. No tuition reimbursement so if you already have a masters you are stuck in water unless you pay and go to another university.

4. "Nice enough"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice to work from home, good benefits and plenty of perks , very flexible

Cons

Ran like a business Not a school . Never slow any slow time.

5. "Nice people, some jobs are flexible, low pay"

Former Employee - Program Development

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Supportive co-workers, culture that values flexibility, very good benefits

Cons

Pay is low for the national average, workload can be very erratic

6. "Don't believe the 5 star reviews"

2.0
    Current Employee - Course Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work from home in your pajamas.

Cons

If you notice all of the 5 star reviews say exactly the same thing. WGU has people coming in here to say the same positive things over and over again it is essentially an echo chamber for positivity while hiding the negative things about the institution. Most negative reviews are deleted after a short period of time.

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really liked working there

Cons

Not much share for this

8. COVID-19

"Exceptional Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The senior leadership team here is great. With COVID, we moved to an online model, and it has gone so smoothly. Our president, Scott Pulsipher has given weekly updates, and prioritized for us to reach out to employees with a personal phone call. We also always keep our eye on the ball , which is the student and employee experience. Changing lives is our goal.

Cons

We are always changing and growing, which can be hard for some people. The changes are the usually well thought out and advance the university's mission.

June 24, 2020People & Talent

Thank you very much for leaving us a review! We hear you, change isn't always easy but we appreciate your understanding and acknowledgment as we continue to constantly improve our internal methods.

9. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

I get to work from home

Cons

Advancement difficult if you are not in SLC

June 24, 2020People & Talent

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We would love to hear more feedback about career advancement and ways we can help at people@wgu.edu. This is helpful to us so that we can evaluate any cracks in our system and fix them. Thank you again!

10. "Great people, tough environment"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

I have worked with some truly wonderful, brilliant, and hard-working people at WGU. If you're interested in furthering your education, the 75% tuition discount is pretty generous.

Cons

The environment at WGU is really difficult to manage. Executive Leadership provides very little specificity to their direction/vision, which causes a lot of confusion and rework. Leadership constantly claims to value quality over speed, but shows a lot of hostility toward any timeline changes and sets near impossible deadlines almost exclusively. Priorities change so often that I rarely have the opportunity to complete anything I start. I have heard Leaders actively dismiss employee feedback provided in the Great Places to Work Survey, which was incredible disheartening.

June 24, 2020People & Talent

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! These are important issues you have brought up and we would like to invite you to email people@wgu.edu, if you wish, to go into further detail so that we may fully understand what is going on and how we can address the issues. If not, no worries! We still thank you for your review and hope we are able to resolve your issues.

Found 697 reviews