Western Governors University Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Cannot work from home when we are an online university" (in 30 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance is hard at times" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Placement Coordinator"

Current Employee - Placement Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Placement Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, benefits, and great coworkers.

Cons

Large learning curve in the beginning and the pay starts low.

"Program Mentor, Business College"

Current Employee - Program Mentor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Program Mentor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Connecting with students every day, especially in a non-profit environment with a low tuition. Really feel like you're putting "good" into the world.

Flexibility of working from home and (relatively) setting your own schedule.

Have met some great colleagues.

Cons

The pay for a position that requires at least a Master's Degree is laughable. Recently, they started bringing on new employees in Mentoring at a much higher salary, but have totally ignored compensating the small sliver of us that have been here over 2 years. New employees with smaller populations, less experience/responsibility, and fewer (or no) grads make more than tenured Mentors - it is not a motivating feeling.

The majority of the department has been here 2 years or less. Management has an even younger tenure. Partly due to this I believe, there are always "NEW" initiatives for everyone to drop everything and try. Some of these things we've tried and ignored years ago.

There is no room for growth or movement out of Mentoring unless you live near a state office. There used to be more work from home positions, but they seem to have all moved to in-office requirements for some unknown reason.

There absolutely is favoritism. It is not enough to do your job well and deliver high results to get promoted within the department. They really are looking for a specific suck-up type. The same individuals get picked over and over for pilots, projects, presentations, or promotions.

Advice to Management

The movement to enhance this as a "great place to work" is very noble - I'm unsure why it took so many years. Our President is really out of touch with what the "little people" on the ground do on a daily basis, it's kind of sad.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Service Improvement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Service Improvement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible. Good work life balance. Great benefits. Very supportive of their employees.

Cons

Sometimes things are disorganized. Changes don't always go smoothly.

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Absolutely love our culture! Our leadership takes the time to understand how to be support of student needs

Cons

Paynos a bit lower, however the culture and work life balance are amazing.

5. "Great Flexibility"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Great flexibility and work life balance

Cons

glass ceiling if you don't live near one of their main offices.

6. "Associate Enrollment Counselor"

Current Employee - Associate Enrollment Counselor
    Current Employee - Associate Enrollment Counselor

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team. Flexible with goals.

Cons

Hard to level. A little pushy when setting personal goals.

7. "Enrollment Counselor"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Employees are treated like family. You will get to now many of your coworkers especially since you will speak with many departments constantly. AECs are angels and will do their best to suppler ECs before transferring a student to you. Communication within the university is amazing. The president will host monthly meetings to update the employees on the growth or situations arising. There really is an open policy.

Cons

If you aren’t a person that likes to speak for longer than 2 minutes this isn’t a job for you. If you aren’t creative enough to envision each student as an individual not another number in order to keep from feeling as though you are doing the same thing for 8 hours a day 5 days a week this isn’t for you. But other than that there isn’t a con.

"Program Mentor"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

I love the flexibility of working from home while supporting students as they obtain their degree. It truly is a rewarding position and the university takes great care of their employees. Lots of work perks, staff development and room for advancement.

Cons

Meeting metrics can be frustrating because you can not control people. Often times when you feel like you are doing your best and a student is not successful; you can be made to feel like you are inadequate. For the most management is supportive and understand this however I have heard horror stories from others. There is a lot of change and innovation. Not nessisarily a con, but you have to stay on your toes and multitask a lot.

Advice to Management

Leadership is AWESOME! I have no advice besides keep doing what you are doing.

9. "Faculty"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work from home mentoring students.

Cons

None that comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Under new management when I left for a different position. Not sure of current changes.

"Great Place to Start Your Career!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WGU was a great place to start my career. I was offered numerous learning opportunities and have been invaluable to me at this point. I enjoyed my colleagues who were supportive and inspiring. I felt my manager cared for me as a person and was invested in my success.

Cons

The department lacked transparency from leadership and unfortunately favoritism and drama existed. Lack of management training led to issues with various employees. Low compensation across the board.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like adults and be transparent on all levels. Train managers on how to lead teams and elevate others.