KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Flexible Schedule; work from home(in 236 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 94 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Great culture and they truly believe in it(in 41 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours and and some consideration for work(in 27 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and job insecurity(in 99 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 55 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 45 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 31 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Amazing place to work

Sep 2, 2021 - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic company culture, they take a lot of time recognize their employees Amazing company mission Sense of purpose Flexible Great work/life balance

Cons

Health insurance is only okay - could be better

6 people found this review helpful

Western Governors University Response

People & Talent

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for letting us know where we can improve.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Aug 14, 2022 - Professor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great working environment (WFH). Collaboration is key.

Cons

Hiring and advancement can be tough, but it is because of the volume of applicants.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great University

Aug 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like working from home this is a huge plus! The diligence of WGU in creating legitimate curriculum is outstanding. There are many great coworkers that are in it for the student’s success and are recognized for their hard work.

Cons

Need more opportunity for advancement. There are processes that are broken up and need to be streamlined better. Feel some micro aggressions across department employees and leadership. Need more attention to the students who require more academically (underserved students) rather than knocking them down. Have seen leadership do this. Employees afraid to speak up.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

pay

Aug 15, 2022 - Program Evaluator in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

autonomy, remote, support, good mission

Cons

Tedious and monotonous work evaluating

5. 4.0

Decent Gig

Aug 12, 2022 - Evaluation Faculty
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Enjoy the schedule flexibility and ability to work from home. -Great co-workers and supportive supervisors

Cons

-Low pay -Lack of salary transparency

6. 5.0

Great school

Aug 7, 2022 - Coach
    Business Outlook

Pros

everyone works well with each other

Cons

online meeting, miss personal face to face time.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Low Pay Bad Training

Aug 8, 2022 - Financial Aid in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay Not the best training

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Non-profit but not in all aspects

Jul 7, 2022 - Senior Marketing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers at the lower level are the best! So kind, so hard-working, really care about doing good for students. Cafeteria on campus in SLC. A lot of room for professional/personal development

Cons

Pay is not competitive, at least not in the Marketing department. High turnover because people find better pay elsewhere very regularly. Leadership at the top does not feel very "non-profit". They criticize marketing spend but openly acknowledge they are not marketing experts. President and other top leaders ask for additional work outside of work hours and really don't respect boundaries.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Jul 27, 2022 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about students, staff, and faculty equally. Always looking for ways to improve, optimize, and better serve our students and support employees. Across the University you see most departments modeling our Leadership Principles and Cultural Beliefs. As a Sr. Level leader, I feel like my voice is heard, I can contribute and impact change!

Cons

Health Insurance is average, let's get to above average!

10. 5.0

great place

Jul 26, 2022 - Evaluator in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

fast turn around for interviews

Cons

part time offers available more than full time

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,222 Reviews
</>Embed

Western Governors University Reviews FAQs

Western Governors University has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 1,251 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Western Governors University to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Western Governors University employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Western Governors University. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

71% of Western Governors University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Western Governors University 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Western Governors University to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Western Governors University Job Seekers