Cover image for Western Governors University

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Teachers

215.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Western Governors University~244719
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Western Governors University? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Western Governors University employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Flexible Schedule; work from home(in 241 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 100 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Great culture and they truly believe in it(in 39 reviews)
  • "There are many great coworkers that are in it for the student’s success and are recognized for their hard work.(in 27 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay and a lot of work(in 106 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 47 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 43 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 32 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Current MBA Student

Jan 27, 2023 - Graduate Student
    Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on your enthusiasm for learning the competencies, you can learn much in the WGU MBA program. My highlights were Management, Ethical Leadership, and the Capstone. The simulation I worked through for the Capstone was a huge highlight!

Cons

You must be self-motivated, a self-starter, and willing to write many papers.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Outstanding experience

Jan 22, 2023 - Faculty Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, ethical, positive environment with fantastic leadership

Cons

WGU is a non-profit so pay isn’t very high- but they are very generous in other ways!

3. Join the Western Governors University team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Jan 22, 2023 - Anonymous/Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at WGU are incredible, great positive work culture, good benefits.

Cons

Can be slow to make big changes a lot of moving parts.

5. 5.0

Great University

Jan 10, 2023 - Records Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, solid training, fantastic benefits and PTO plans.

Cons

Work can become somewhat repetitive.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great atmosphere and great mission

Dec 16, 2022 - Course Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission of providing all students accessible higher education is amazing! And management is understanding and supportive.

Cons

Job requires at least 10 hours a week on weekends or evenings. This was very difficult as a parent of young kids They did not provide alternatives.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Breaking Tradition and Loving it!

Dec 16, 2022 - Senior Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

WGU understands that change is necessary for growth.

Cons

Isolation. Working remotely can be isolating.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome place to work!

Dec 11, 2022 - Accounting in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The schedule is super flexible, we get bank holidays off! It’s pretty well organized and the systems are user friendly. Working from home is a huge perk, Its a great job and the benefits are really good as well!

Cons

Pay could be better, I think if we increase the hourly wage we wouldn’t be as short staffed.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Featured Review

Wonderful Employer

Dec 7, 2022 - Program Mentor in Charleston, WV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits, desirable culture, flexible scheduling, and working from a home office is a huge plus!

Cons

You must be a very self-motivated individual to be effective but if this is understood, it is not really a con.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Interview Process

Dec 6, 2022 - Clinical and field experience assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company and great culture to experience, love all hiring managers and recruiters.

Cons

Interviewed with three people, not sure if thats the normal process

11. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Culture and opportunities

Dec 3, 2022 - Program Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

WGU offers a very supportive top-down culture and many opportunities for professional growth. They invest in their employees.

Cons

Consistent changes in processes and programs for the benefit of employees and students. It is important to embrace change and realize that you will have the tools and support to be successful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,309 Reviews
</>Embed

Western Governors University Reviews FAQs

Western Governors University has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 1,343 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Western Governors University to a friend and 66% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Western Governors University employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Western Governors University. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

71% of Western Governors University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Western Governors University 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Western Governors University to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Western Governors University Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Western Governors University? Share Your Experiences

Western Governors University logo

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story
  • Teams
  • Culture
  • Benefits

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

14 days ago

Company News
The recent article by WGU's President, Scott Pulsipher, in Forbes highlights three key ways that higher education can flip the script on value. By focusing on competency-based education, personalized learning, and innovative pricing models, we are working to ensure that our students receive an education that is tailored to their needs and goals, and that they can afford.
Shared image - 3 Ways Higher Education Can Flip the Script on Value
3 Ways Higher Education Can Flip the Script on Value
www.forbes.com

38 days ago

Diversity and Inclusion
Did you know that 25% of WGU employees are involved in an Employee Resource Group (ERG)? Our 11 different groups help foster a safe community for employees to connect, learn, and grow together. Here are just a few ways our ERGs made an impact in 2022: - Hosted more than 100 annual commemorative events and activities - Added Land Acknowledgements to our commencements and 25th-anniversary events - Creating training for People Leaders on non-apparent disabilities - Worked with WGU Benefits to secure pay differentials for National Guard Reservists and Guardsmen. Revised DE&I new employee orientation to include military presence. Assisted WGU commencement planners with military and veteran outreach for graduates - Influenced #StopAsianhateday, Afghanistan and Ukraine conflict messages and resources - Offered WGU-wide Pronoun Training - Worked with WGU Benefits to enhance options for gender affirmation
Shared image

Western Governors University Photos

+ Add Photo
Western Governors University photo of: Employee Spotlight
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall

UnitedHealth Group

3.7

15,370 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 1,343 Western Governors University reviews submitted anonymously by Western Governors University employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Western Governors University is right for you.