Western Governors University Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some of us are required to work from home office, and it's frustrating to listen to others with same jobs who travel while working (in 28 reviews)

• Very political and work/life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Assessment Developer in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Assessment Developer in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, positive work environment

Cons

Salary below average for assessment industry

2. "Program Mentor"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

90% of Staff work from home. The money students pay for tuition, courses etc pays for the expensive conferences they provide the staff-travel,high end hotels,food, drinks ...

Cons

I would Not recommend WGU. They require each mentor to have 100 students. You are require to call,have notes etc on each student you have every week. For a Masters Degree salary is 47.5k & a PhD is close to 54-58k. Plus you have to hav 3 years or More in that field. The managers depending on the department are kind,firm but fair. The business college has gone through 3 sets of Senior Leadership in less then 2 years. What does that say about the management, the requirements of the job. Advice to management - mentor,learn and grow with your program mentors.
    If your students as a mentor do not make OTP you can get fired. Really? WGU makes all these requirements but there very quick to let go. If your company is so great than why do they have a high turnover?

They do say money talks over anything so considering the schools making a large amount every month says maybe it’s more than just the management....

3. "Project Manager"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Everyone who works there is very positive.
    Every employee is dedicated to the mission.
    Management is very understanding when a personal matter occurs.
    There is a great team atmosphere in which everyone helps each other.

Cons

No clear path to move up within company unless you work at the corporate headquarters in Salt Lake City.
    People at the national level tend to work at a slower pace than those at the state level, making it difficult to move state campaigns along.

Advice to Management

N/A

"It USED to be a great place to work...."

Current Employee - Course Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Course Instructor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Work from home
    Great benefits
    Tuition Discount

Cons

Oh, where to begin.... When Mendenhall left and Scott took over WGU, we were all hopeful for an exciting future. The opposite has happened. Scott has tried to make WGU into his former company, Amazon. The business model does NOT work. Education is a completely different beast that retail sales. To get a promotion is out the window anymore. Any extra promotions or monies go to those who are "favorites" of their managers - even if your numbers are better than theirs! Not only do the favorites get more money, but their titles are lauded over everyone as they are now Level 2s and you are a mere Level 1, etc. Cooperation and camaraderie that used to exist in teams is now gone for competition, jealously, and disrespect. I have taught at several other universities and have never felt so under-appreciated in all my life. Oh, on top of no promotion opportunities, etc., expect the pay to be PENNIES on the dollar compared to other universities. You will not be a professor here - you are labeled an instructor because they are never going to give you any autonomy nor pay for what you have earned as a terminal-degree employee. I have my doctorate and made more teaching high school than I do here. I have worked here for over 5 years and thought I would be with WGU forever. Now, I scour the job boards trying to find something else where I can work online and be treated like an intelligent human being.

Advice to Management

Treat your "instructors" like the professionals we are! We are not "instructors," as those individuals typically do not have terminal degrees, etc. They are the LOWEST level instructional personnel at other universities, which just shows you how you view us - the LOWEST level people of your university. Also, stop creating more and more top positions. We are so "top-heavy" now with monies going into the pockets of these ill-trained managers instead of the money going to "us lowly employees" who do all of the work! Stop creating top positions, stop the insane money spent on face-to-face meetings, and give us raises. If we are a "leader" in technology, why do we need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars doing a face-to-face training around the US several times per year? Do it VIRTUALLY for heaven's sake and send those monies to the employees' salaries. It is disgusting how much money is wasted !

"Laughably a waste of ..everything!"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Just like any full time job, you get benefits. Tuition discount

Cons

I am inspired to write this as in the current meeting we are in, our president has announced instead of giving us raises (tuition did go up this year), they instead are going to give us some stupid coins! A coin...for gods sakes.

For a long time, we have told mgmt about how we feel like nothing, our voices and opinions mean nothing..our pay is under average. Leveling was recently scrapped as they had to realize how silly it was. Now, we still don't know how to get a raise anymore. So, raise tuition, hire your buddies at amazon to come over, ..and waste money to create meaningless coins for your hard work.

This is how WGU values you. Bravo!!!

Advice to Management

none...cus nothing gets done. NOTHING GETS DONE...its always the agenda of upper elite class. Upper management is hidden with what really happens to the hard working people.

6. "Overall, a well-rounded, great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, bonuses for all employees, great sense of camaraderie, "work hard play hard" mentality

Cons

Some micromanagement, gossip, a bit of "my team vs. your team" dynamics

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

"Student mentor"

Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Remote, OR

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working remotely was always wonderful. Built some amazing friendships and a huge sense of pride watching my students success.

Cons

Poor management and a major culture of fear of retaliation if you speak your mind. I was at WGU for over 7 years and for 5 years loved it. I thought I would work there until I retired but over the past 1.5 years ( since Bob Mendenhall left sms Scott Pulsifer came in) things have changed dramatically. If you habe been with WGU over 5 years all salaries are "capped out " regardless of your KPI' s and performance, you will never make another dime unless you agree to level up and even then if you meet all the criteria the management may or may not choose you. Very uneven playing field. Managers managing employees who's jobs they have never done and have no idea how to do. Student mentors responsible for training the new managers that will be managing them, kind of ridiculous since most student mentors do not know all of the responsibilities of the managers. Very micromanaging and controlling. No work life balance. People leave in top management positions and not a word is spoken about it. A ton of "policies" are brought into affect at a moment's notice when it fits the situation but nothing is ever in writing. Employees are just numbers regardless of their loyalty and years of service. It used to be about employee and student satisfaction and success. It is now about money and getting rid of those making the most and replacing them with newbies they can pay less. It is so sad and now run more like a major corporation like Amazon than an educational institution.

Advice to Management

Start really caring about students and employees again instead of micromanaging and firing good employees. Start caring instead of ridiculing and creating a culture of fear. Let employees that are good at their job and making the numbers do they job and have since autonomy to do that.

"Could be Great, But Isn't"

Current Employee - Placement Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Placement Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Working remotely, decent benefits package, great coworkers.

Cons

The pay is very low for positions that require a college education. I have a second job just to make ends meet. Additionally, there is little room for advancement in many, likely most, positions. This creates a lot of turn-over, which makes working here constantly stressful. It is hard to get things right when you are constantly playing catch-up Culturally, the company is focused on student success, which is great on many levels. However, this myopic focus tends to exclude the needs of employees and external university partners. Further, the university is obsessed with student satisfaction, and in its efforts to make student satisfaction statistics look good, WGU creates a student culture that is both needy and entitled.

Advice to Management

You have great employees. It's time to actually show them they matter! Care about your employees as much as you care about your students. And put your money where your mouth is.

"It's okay"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Virtual environment
    Important need in the community

Cons

Micromanagement of employees
    Lack of training

10. "Course Mentor"

Current Employee - Course Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Course Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Company is truly focused on student success. Work remotely. Wonderful benefits package.

Cons

Some of us are required to work from home office, and it's frustrating to listen to others with same jobs who travel while working.

Advice to Management

Consistent policy on definition of "remote"