Western Governors University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher

Pros
  • I wish pay was better but is worth it to work from home (in 157 reviews)

• WGU meets all of my personal and professional needs, providing a wonderful work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home has challenging aspects and can be isolating (in 20 reviews)

• Call center environment which is customer (student) facing (in 23 reviews)

1. "Forward thinking company, totally focused on its mission of graduating high-quality students"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

It's a pleasure working for an organization that has a clear mission (graduating students and providing high quality education programs) and that stays focused on that mission.

At WGU, employees are encouraged to innovate. Leadership recognizes that not everything we try will work, but that continuous change and innovation is required in order to achieve exponential growth.

Cons

Employee-facing systems can be cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on students, but don't forget that the systems employees use need care, feeding, and improvement too.

2. "Great place to work"

Pros

Very positive environment and positive job.

Cons

It is seemingly difficult to advance.

"It SUCKS!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ssl, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ssl, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dress down Fridays. Sodas you can purchase. Bathrooms are well lit.

Cons

The pay is horrible, management is worse. The politics run high. They've retained all of the original employees to manage and run the entire company other than the CEO President Pulispher. He never leaves his Ivory Tower to talk to the low life EC's. Even though he earns close to $1,000,000 the rest of the the bottom half don't earn enough to scrape by on. If you love to get monitored and micromanaged every day, all day, this job is for you. It is a CALL CENTER JOB!

Advice to Management

Fire all of the old managers who are micromanaging monsters who are uneducated and only keep their jobs because they have been there since WGU began.

5. "Student Mentor"

Current Employee - Student Mentor
    Current Employee - Student Mentor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for a year and love it! I feel more supported and appreciated by this university, while working from home, then at the school I worked at for 15 years. When I started I thought I would be all alone at my house working but we have weekly staff meetings and weekly trainings and weekly calls with my manager. Plus we all get together twice a year for academic meetings and training so I don't feel isolated or alone. WGU does continually try to improve things and change things but they do a good job training us and keeping us up to date. The IT Department is great at helping when tech issues happen. Benefits are good. I wish pay was better but is worth it to work from home. I love the mission statement of the university and do believe they really care about making the lives of our students better. As a former teacher, I think the university is doing a good job at training future teachers. I feel like I am making a difference in the lives of the students as I help them reach their goal to graduate. I wish I would have found out about opportunities here sooner.

Cons

I would like there to be a better way to evaluate us. I don't like feeling like I have to push, push, push students to get OTP. I don't always feel like that is in the best interest of the student but if I don't push them it makes my numbers look bad. Especially, when we have a student that doesn't care about school at this moment because too much life is happening. This brings up my one other "con". I feel like a babysitter for some students that don't want to do the work. These are adults and they are paying for their term and if they want to waste their money and not do anything, then I would like to focus my attention on the students that do care and want the help.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to evaluate student mentors.

"Course Mentor"

Former Employee - Course Mentor
    Former Employee - Course Mentor

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

brilliant coworkers (inspirational people to work with), working one on one with students, great mission statement, decent/good benefits, working from home

Cons

Overall, I dislike the new leveling system. At a certain point, you will no longer get a raise. The new focus is on management/leadership skills, so unless you want a management position, you can't go anywhere. I have not heard that education is valued since the new president has taken over. I have heard "student obsessed," but it's merely from a customer service standpoint.

The day-to day varies depending on the college and the program manager. Too many in senior management have minimal to no experience in higher education This leads to a lack of understanding of the educational process and what it takes to teach students (trust me, it can cause issues). Some colleges have senior management that is completely depleting morale by micromanaging and pushing numbers over people. Some program managers try to block this, but it can be difficult. I have never seen as much turnover as I have in the last year and a half in my college.

Depending on the course, it may not be unusual to have 500 students (this number was typical for about 6 months of every year). They are never proactive in hiring. It will also depend on the course as to whether or not this number is manageable. Work-life balance is talked about, but they don't really mean it. Students expect instant gratification and complain if they don't get it.

Product development puts out courses that are not ready. When course mentors offer solutions, they may or may not be listened to. This leaves the mentors having to clarify the confusion to students (which can be challenging given the student load).

I don't think WGU realizes the brains they have working for them. Faculty intelligence is completely underutilized, in my opinion. People who come up with amazing solutions are shot down by management because it "isn't sanctioned."

Advice to Management

Re-focus on the importance of being an educational institution. For future hiring for senior management, consider hiring those who have heavy experience in academia and not just management. Stop treating master's and doctorally prepared individuals like factory workers. If someone isn't doing their job, get rid of them, but don't punish those doing good work. Stop pushing processes over people. Be proactive in hiring. Find ways to value and utilize the skills/intelligence of the mentors.

"Enrollment Counselor - WGU"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom and support. Great benefits. Fair pay.

Cons

Repetative daily duties. Stuffy office environment.

Advice to Management

Encourage ECs to take on different tasks and projects.

8. "Course Mentor"

Former Employee - Course Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Course Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, great team, flexibility

Cons

focus on numbers, turn over in senior management, sometimes admin does not listen to faculty

Advice to Management

keep communication open

9. "Student Mentor (Faculty)"

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful, they are dedicated to the students. The model works well and allows students to move truly at their pace.

Cons

There can be some long hours but it is well worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, value the employees you have.

"Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Course Mentor
    Current Employee - Course Mentor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Fantastic student centered company

Cons

No work life balance
    Managers who expect more than what your job pays you to do

Advice to Management

Hire to support the needs of the mentors so they can support the needs of the students

11. "evaluator"

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work at home, great sense of community.

Cons

start-up and orientation very fast paced