Cover image for Western Governors University
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Western Governors University Employee Reviews about "coworker"

Updated Dec 3, 2022

3.8
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

What people are saying about Western Governors University

Join the conversation on

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Teachers

201.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Western Governors University~244719
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "This job is flexible in that you work from home.(in 237 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 103 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Great culture and they truly believe in it(in 43 reviews)
  • "Colleagues were great and our students are hardworking and dedicated.(in 29 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and job insecurity(in 103 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 42 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 30 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "coworker"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great Place to Work

Jul 27, 2022 - Senior Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about students, staff, and faculty equally. Always looking for ways to improve, optimize, and better serve our students and support employees. Across the University you see most departments modeling our Leadership Principles and Cultural Beliefs. As a Sr. Level leader, I feel like my voice is heard, I can contribute and impact change!

Cons

Health Insurance is average, let's get to above average!

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Culture and opportunities

Dec 3, 2022 - Program Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

WGU offers a very supportive top-down culture and many opportunities for professional growth. They invest in their employees.

Cons

Consistent changes in processes and programs for the benefit of employees and students. It is important to embrace change and realize that you will have the tools and support to be successful.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. Join the Western Governors University team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It Depends on Which Department You Work For

Dec 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a certain level of autonomy that I enjoy. I am fully remote. I get to interact with several departments across the university which is fun.

Cons

The pay is not up to snuff with the other higher education institutions. This could very well only apply to certain positions, but the requirements for certain roles are also ridiculous and the opposite of equitable. Just compare some similar positions with say, Harvard. One would think that an institution like Harvard would have one of the more stringent "check every box" hiring requirements, but they don't because they realize not everyone who is intelligent and very capable at their job doesn't have a formal degree. It's called "equal work experience" or "preferred" instead of "required." A lot of talent being left out of this work place.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work/life balance and high pay

Nov 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is better than most universities Work from home Good work/life balance Great colleagues Innovative

Cons

Miscommunication - multiple communications happening simultaneously- creates disorganization

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Shockingly Great Place to Work

Nov 29, 2022 - Event Planner
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy my work at WGU. It’s fast-paced, innovative, and you know everyone is working toward a worthwhile goal.

Cons

It’s a non-profit. The pay is competitive, but they’re pretty tight lipped about salaries.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Breaking Tradition

Nov 26, 2022 - Senior Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

WGU is ahead of the game, excelling in every facet of education. I am constantly motivated to see what's next!

Cons

Breaking tradition means constant change. For some, this can be frustrating.

8. 4.0

Great University

Aug 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like working from home this is a huge plus! The diligence of WGU in creating legitimate curriculum is outstanding. There are many great coworkers that are in it for the student’s success and are recognized for their hard work.

Cons

Need more opportunity for advancement. There are processes that are broken up and need to be streamlined better. Feel some micro aggressions across department employees and leadership. Need more attention to the students who require more academically (underserved students) rather than knocking them down. Have seen leadership do this. Employees afraid to speak up.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great ICs, Poor Leadership

Oct 3, 2022 - Site Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people working as individual contributors.

Cons

Executive leaders who are brought on with little to no experience in their field. No unified direction for leadership serving the different IT/Operations branches. Senior leaders want WFH opportunities for themselves. They often get into shouting matches, and those who become stubborn are actually favored. Infrastructure leadership is not anywhere integrated to operations mgmt. Favoritism, racism, and sexism are rampant as microaggressions. Reports of offenses are not taken seriously. HR is for the company and not the people who work for it. Good ol boy club at the C-Level, who only talk about numbers. CEO and others golf almost every morning until 10 AM. Pay for technicians and supervisors are at the bottom of the bucket. After I left I was astonished at the gap of pay. While the CEO and COO make 300k a year each, if not more.

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Mission Focused but Little opportunity for growth

Nov 22, 2022 - Project Manager 3
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I work with, great passion to serve students. Very mission and purpose focused.

Cons

Promotion proceeds is not transparent at all. Little opportunities for growth unless you are a “people leader” as opposed to an individual contributor.

11. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Don't... unless you simply have to

Sep 26, 2022 - Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Any pros depend on your immediate supervisor. Don't have to commute or buy "work clothes". Have some say in your work schedule, but will work more than 40 hours/week to try to "keep up" until you learn shortcuts or not to care.

Cons

Lower pay across the board than national averages; generally about 25-30% lower. Favoritism and "secrecy" about everything including performance appraisal process and promotion. Impossible job performance goals and time when you're not at work for weekends or vacations counts against your required Goals. General lack of respect and requirements to treat adult students as customers VS adult students or learners. If a student doesn't complete a course or assignment on time, the instructor takes the hit on performance goals. Must tell students to call you by your first name; can't ask students to call you Dr. _____. Admin sees that as a potential intimidation factor and a "barrier" to student success. (some people care about that, others don't). Many mid managers promoted to that position have less knowledge and experience than those they supervise; admin likes that so they can train them "their way". Many managers micro-manage terribly. Total lack of academic freedom. Must teach content their way and with only their resources and texts. I could go on...

11 people found this review helpful