KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Western Governors University

Western Governors University

Add a Review

Western Governors University Employee Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Updated Nov 12, 2021

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "This job is flexible in that you work from home.(in 235 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 99 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 59 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and they dont micromanage(in 38 reviews)
  • "Colleagues were great and our students are hardworking and dedicated.(in 28 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and job insecurity(in 108 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 55 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 44 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 34 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "flexible schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Minorities are not promoted or recognized within this organization!

Apr 12, 2022 - Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule and that's about it.

Cons

Horrible pay, no advancement opportunities for minorities and people of color. They tout diversity and respect for all, but you rarely get to see it in action. If you are Caucasian you get promoted but a minority will always be at the bottom of the ladder. There are only a handful of minorities in leadership positions. STOP living in the past and using people!!!

10 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Apr 25, 2015 - Mentor, Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The ability to make a difference in the life of your students. Flexible work schedule and the ability to work from home. Not having to commute has to be taken into consideration when determining benefits and that this is better for the environment is important to me also. Everyone you work with is so friendly and there is no hierarchy in management. Meaning you feel very comfortable walking right up to the Mentoring Director and having an honest and frank conversation. I really doubt there are many organizations that can say this is a reality.

Cons

Review process in the Mentoring department is definitely the highest con by far. Mentors are reviewed not by their contributions or the amount of effort they put into their work but by how their students perform. So if a few of the mentors students decide not to complete all of their courses or quit, it will be a detriment to the mentors annual review. One thing that is unfair is that mentors can have students transferred to them from another mentor that is performing poorly even up to the last week of their term, this will also count against the mentor. Though the mentor had no opportunity to turn this situation around. In addition, in a term a student graduates which is typically a very successful one that students progress does not count towards a mentors review. The mentor review progress really needs an overhaul but it is highly doubtful it will ever occur. Work/life balance is hard to maintain. Student mentors work 55+ hours a week. Pay at WGU does remain lower than other Universities. However, for most of us that are employed the benefits far outweigh this.

17 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I love working with such a talented group of professionals. They work hard at employee job satisfaction.

Jul 31, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule and they trust us to get the job done! It is refreshing to be treated like a professional.

Cons

As a part time temp I often feel like the red-haired step child.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee

WGU Student Mentor Position Review

Sep 18, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

it's a work from home position and create a schedule that accommodates your life (for the most part)

Cons

You're on back to back calls consistently throughout the day, which can become daunting, and your performance and bonus potential is tied to your students progressive performance.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company

Sep 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and flexibility with schedule.

Cons

Remote positions can be difficult.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Program Mentor, Business College

Oct 15, 2018 - Program Mentor in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Connecting with students every day, especially in a non-profit environment with a low tuition. Really feel like you're putting 'good' into the world. Flexibility of working from home and (relatively) setting your own schedule. Have met some great colleagues.

Cons

The pay for a position that requires at least a Master's Degree is laughable. Recently, they started bringing on new employees in Mentoring at a much higher salary, but have totally ignored compensating the small sliver of us that have been here over 2 years. New employees with smaller populations, less experience/responsibility, and fewer (or no) grads make more than tenured Mentors - it is not a motivating feeling. The majority of the department has been here 2 years or less. Management has an even younger tenure. Partly due to this I believe, there are always "NEW" initiatives for everyone to drop everything and try. Some of these things we've tried and ignored years ago. There is no room for growth or movement out of Mentoring unless you live near a state office. There used to be more work from home positions, but they seem to have all moved to in-office requirements for some unknown reason. There absolutely is favoritism. It is not enough to do your job well and deliver high results to get promoted within the department. They really are looking for a specific suck-up type. The same individuals get picked over and over for pilots, projects, presentations, or promotions.

13 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Don't make a career out of it

Jun 21, 2013 - Student Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The flexible schedule and use of technology like smart phones and chat apps makes this a job you can do from anywhere. Effort was rarely over 30 hours per week which still produced excellent metrics. Colleagues are amazing, the screening and hiring is impressive and I really enjoyed the people I worked (excluding upper management). Benefits are good. A good manager makes a big difference, like anywhere. IT support was good, reiterating good colleagues, which makes a lot of difference in satisfaction.

Cons

Top down, dictatorship organization. Employees have no voice. Call center, metric based job duties. Micromanagement at all levels to ensure you are making your calls, making your notes, following policies, etc. No opportunity to move forward, except middle management, which is just a dumped-on mouth piece for senior managers to delegate the tasks that have been dumped on them. Pay is awful. Most employees have master's level educations (minimum) and could make at least 50% more elsewhere with their skills. I finally got fed up and left for a 100% increase in pay. Raises are lacking too and are based on a ranking system which most leaderships texts note as outdated and unfair. Feedback goes nowhere and direct contact to upper management is frowned upon even though they pretend they have an open door policy. In summary this isn't a bad place to work if you don't need to make much money and you are good at keeping your mouth shut and doing your job. You have to be able to turn your back and not get involved in the nonsense. The flexibility is unparalleled and that makes it hard to leave once you start.

17 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee

Decent but don't plan on advancement

Feb 9, 2022 - Program Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work at home and set my own work schedule. Enjoyed support and team work of peers.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. And honestly, if you were my age when I was hired, you would have needed to view it as your last job before retiring. After Bob Mendenhall retired, the new leadership and the layers of VPs and Directors just totally changed the vibe of the place.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best Employer EVER!

Sep 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work schedule and balance Benefits Executive Leadership

Cons

100% work from home with limited opportunity to meet in person

Be the first to find this review helpful