KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Western Governors University

Western Governors University

Add a Review

Western Governors University Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Nov 7, 2021

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "This job is flexible in that you work from home.(in 235 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 99 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 59 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and they dont micromanage(in 38 reviews)
  • "Colleagues were great and our students are hardworking and dedicated.(in 28 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and job insecurity(in 108 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 55 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 44 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 34 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great people and opportunity

Oct 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Co-workers are amazing and intelligent and makes working an enjoyable experience - Student focused; student success drives decisions for the company. A breath of fresh air from the typical bottom-line driven strategy - Excellent health benefits, best I've ever had.

Cons

- Pay structure needs re-evaluated. They lose some great talent as the employees are recruited elsewhere for better/more competitive pay. - Not a lot of transparency and collaboration from other departments and IT

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fairly nice place to work.

Jul 2, 2020 - Program Mentor in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home and so no commute or having to purchase specific work clothes.

Cons

Low salary for level of education and amount of work especially after normal business hours. No tuition reimbursement so if you already have a masters you are stuck in water unless you pay and go to another university.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Yay for working from home Boo on the pay

Sep 25, 2015 - Evaluator in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, you can schedule your own schedule, helpful teammates, a positive place to be.

Cons

The pay is so low and shameful. I have 2 Master's Degrees and my pay is 1/3 what is was when I taught Kindergarten. It's sad that many many excellent evaluators have to leave because they can't afford to work at WGU.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great University to work for

Nov 4, 2014 - Student Mentor - Faculty
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved my team mates and they have great training for new employees. I was a student mentor so I was on the phone all day with students. I loved being able to help my students reach their goals. There are two large training meetings a year that are really nice and are good for meeting your team mates and getting to see your co-workers face-to-face. In comparison to other university's that I've worked for they are cutting edge in their methods to help students learn and it really is a great model. They are much better than any for-proit university that I've ever worked for. The fact that they are not-for-profit and cared about the students learning says a lot about them. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

The metrics that you are evaluated by can be stressful sometimes to an extreme. If you're a student mentor you have to work some evening hours in order to meet students availability. The pay was not as high as I would have liked so I still worked a part-time job to supplement my income.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Pay is way too low

Jun 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is rewarding to help students reach their goals and earn degrees that help them improve their lives. There are a lot of awesome, dedicated people working at WGU (for now).

Cons

The pay is extremely low. We are losing our talented employees because they are moving on to jobs that pay them what they are worth. The top leadership is not great and seems to be disconnected from issues regarding pay. There is a lot of glossing over concerns raised in employee feedback in the name of holding on to being a great place to work.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

bad company

Nov 5, 2013 - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

the best part of Western Governors enrollment department is the chance to work with great coworkers and an opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Western Governors University enrollment department offers its employees low pay the raises are extremely small! Its very difficult to advance your career there because of favoritism in the department. Management does not communicate well to the employees.

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee

new position

May 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

work at home, some flexibility in schedule

Cons

Have a lot of students 80-100. WGU accepts anyone who applies so some students aren't motivated and we are evaluated on if students complete work. If difficult to keep at 40 hours a week when you have so many students and pay is very low.

13 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Placement Coordinator

Oct 6, 2018 - Placement Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, benefits, and great coworkers.

Cons

Large learning curve in the beginning and the pay starts low.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Faculty Student Mentor

Mar 21, 2018 - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedule. Overall I think WGU is a great school and good to their employees. If you get a good manager they will help you out a lot and want to see you advance. Top leadership is approachable and they really want to know how to make their students and employees happy. Benefits are amazing, best I have every had.

Cons

Your raise and bonus is based on students completing all their courses every term. This becomes challenging once they get into their CISCO and harder certifications. If you have a manager that doesn't like for some reason they can make it hard for you. All faculty have masters and phd's and I do feel the pay is lower than it should be .

8 people found this review helpful