Cover image for Western Governors University
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Western Governors University Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 17, 2021

Asset / Investment Management

1y

an

Operations Associate

I work in a Rep Services Call Center for an Insurance/ Investment Company. Currently I'm pursuing my MBA at Western Governors University and I plan to get my Series 7 after my MBA so I can get out of the Call Center and advance my career. I'm looking for some advice / guidance/ideas for growth opportunities from here. I'd like to hear about good experiences and bad experiences people have had in this industry, where did you start, how did you grow from there, what licenses do you have, ect.

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Flexible Schedule; work from home(in 243 reviews)
  • "The ability to work remote is a great benefit.(in 94 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with and being able to work with students reach their goals of going back to school.(in 54 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and they dont micromanage(in 37 reviews)
  • "There are many great coworkers that are in it for the student’s success and are recognized for their hard work.(in 28 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and job insecurity(in 103 reviews)
  • "Poor management and quick to retaliate.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Senior people keep leaving and the salary is too low to attract new people to fill the position.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Many managers have only gotten to the position that they are currently in because of the institutions rapid growth.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Upper management is clueless, reckless, selfish, and greedy.(in 33 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Western Governors University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fab place to work

Oct 18, 2021 - Program Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working from home, autonomy, good benefits.

Cons

Lower salaries than other universities.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee

help others succeed

Jun 29, 2021 - Student Mentor in West Melbourne, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home while helping adults achieve their life long dream of completing their college degree. Set your own hours to a certain extent.

Cons

Student Mentors are evaluated based on student completion of courses. In many cases a Student Mentor seems to be working harder for success than the student. Management penalizes Student Mentor with threats of being fired if too many student will not do the work to get their courses completed within the term or if too many students withdraw. Since students are expected to complete all their courses and are not allowed to enroll for less than 12 CUs, this can be difficult for working adults. They legitimately have many responsibilities and demands on their time that might make it next to impossible to complete their work on time. I was a "top producer" and even won a Mentor Excellence award just before I got notice to quit because of undo pressure and having to work 60 hours a week to give extra time to students who were in danger of failing. Three team members had quit or were let go within the 6 previous months.

9 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Western Governors University team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

It has gone from good to worse

Sep 28, 2021 - Program Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home but it has some negatives as the company requires more than 45 hrs/week.

Cons

Turning into a business rather than being the educational institution it should be. The president has a BA in Business and is creating and filling upper management with his former Amazon friends. Workers are capped at $68,000/year while this president makes over $1,000,000/year. Not a bad salary for a non-profit university! I’m sure it will go up as he has increased tuition 4 times since his 5 years here. And we just keep getting more and more business “metrics” put on the faculty that you MUST do or you won’t “measure up” and you may get canned. We are focused more on the business side of things now than educational. It’s about numbers and money.

16 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Going downhill quickly

Jul 2, 2021 - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home was a great benefit but thanks to the pandemic many places now offer this luxury. Colleagues were great and our students are hardworking and dedicated.

Cons

First and foremost I recommend ignoring all of the five star reviews that provide brief and listed pros. Go for the ones of substance, there have been rumors of HR padding these Glassdoor ratings for years, and given the recent LAYOFF of 160 people on 6/30/2021 it is no surprise that there are many of them with dates just prior to. As a long time employee (who was not a part of this layoff) all I can say is it says University in the name but it is hardly close. The practices that still feel like those indicative of an educational institution are because of the Dept. of Ed’s standards for accreditation. Everything else has taken on a metric-driven approach, with all aspects swapping their human touch for machine efficiency. (I am pro-metric, anti-metrics are everything) That’s not to say jobs are being replaced by AI, but the jobs that are left are repetitive, tactful, and limit the personal touch. From my own experience I can honestly say leadership (from the C-suite to the Directors and VPs) are ill equipped for jobs in education, although they could very successfully run a Fortune 500 company. Perhaps 1 or 2 people at that level truly still care about education, any others who did have recently left. During my time here the culture has certainly shifted, most recently in the last two years. Constant reorgs accompanied with 0 to none communication were draining. Breaking your back for leadership that certainly doesn’t care about you (reinforced by the recent layoff details scattered across Reddit) confirms this. I stayed as long as I did because I was truly obsessed with helping students and improving their experiences. When I learned of the inequitable pay and hiring practices impacting me I left. This isn’t me grasping at straws either - I had male colleagues with less education, experience, and time in seat making more than me until I probed. I have also witnessed hiring decisions being made before interviews even began. This employer markets itself on growth potential but there is little. The recent rework of internal hiring practices has made it even more difficult. You stay for your colleagues and the students. That’s all I can say. When you realize that it’s time to move on it’s a difficult decision but one I’m truly happy I made.

31 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

H

Nov 17, 2021 - Program Mentor in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home is great

Cons

Cart before the horse a lit

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great if you just want to work from home

Sep 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

work from home no expectation of research or publication work with students individually no curriculum or planning work very pro-Mormon environment great benefits package

Cons

money will always come before academic rigor impersonal, cold, disingenuous culture with lots of secrecy and doublespeak little to no control over your work processes or the curriculum you teach very difficult to ever progress in an academic career diversity is not a strength being available 24/7 and agreeing to everything is expected

8 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love my job still after 6 years

Jul 27, 2021 - Student Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible and rewarding job and being a part of student success is amazing. Working from home is awesome too.

Cons

Salary is low for the amount of education that the faculty has. Little opportunity for advancement as a mentor into other roles.

1 person found this review helpful

Western Governors University Response

People & Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We understand you have some concerns about how we calculate salary and we'd like to take an opportunity to offer some more clarity around our process. We go through the annual performance increases process each year in the fall for overall competitiveness and to insure alignment with Corporate Goals and overall Total Rewards Philosophy. Stay tuned to future announcements coming soon about our Career Pathfinder program that empowers employees to own and personalize their professional development. Career Pathfinder includes a new technology platform for career pathing powered by Fuel50. Career Pathfinder is key to our commitment to deliver on our employee promise: to create a meaningful, diverse, inclusive, and rewarding work experience to enable our learning and development as we become our better selves. It is based on clearly defined skills and competencies and establishes a common language to describe job roles. It provides you, as an employee, with better tools to help you identify new opportunities at WGU and map your own career. WGU is committed to the growth and development of every employee, and we look forward to sharing these resources with all of you. In the coming weeks, we will share more information on Career Pathfinder and the Fuel50 technology platform. If you still have any concerns or questions which we didn't address here, please e-mail people@wgu.edu. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to address your review.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The Teachers College Doesn’t Model Good Teaching

Jul 2, 2021 - Program Mentor
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are genuine and caring. Great University for students. The university itself lists cultural beliefs

Cons

The university has stated cultural beliefs that start at the top but are lost somewhere in middle management. My experience has been in the Teachers College. They roll out new programs, new, additional expectations, literally every other month while increasing your caseload. It’s like a slow boil. (Like the analogy of the frog not jumping out of boiling water.) It starts off great and you think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. And then it’s not. It’s ironic that the university has a Teacher’s College. They know how to teach and know best practices. However, when rolling out changes, literally every other month, this last year, major changes, the training is lacking. They have the resources to make it great! A whole team of educators are willing to help, but what comes out is lacking. It has really felt like a bait and switch. They say how easy and beneficial the changes are, and get our buy in and literally the next week our heads are spinning because the roll out is nothing like what they said it would be! We are left to figure it out without the time or resources to do so. This increases our workday and workload and we do the extra work and put in the extra time because we care about students. They talk a lot about work life balance and social emotional awareness, but there is no time to implement their suggestions or put ideas into place. When you try, management is critical and wants more and more and more. I was trained to close my computer and walk away when my day is done-to have firm boundaries due to working from home. However, the reality of that is lacking. Management no longer accepts that and demands more and more. They won’t accept that my day is done and the work will still be there in the morning because now, unlike my training, they insist that things are done THAT day and we are criticized, questioned and put on the spot for not meeting expectations and then they send you the links from the handbook explaining the expectations and point out how you did not meet the expectations. The fact you went above and beyond expectations in other aspects (student centered aspects) or you spent time figuring out systems you were not adequately trained in doesn’t matter. Also, for every bit of job satisfaction I feel, I have a manager pointing out an area (often not student centered and has no impact on bottom line) that failed to meet expectation…so it’s a no win situation and the bit of job satisfaction you may have had is quickly faded. I have tried to focus on students and enjoy my job, and put off the negative or demanding questioning messages from management so I can just focus on my job and have some peace and satisfaction and then management points out I am not responding to them fast enough. When I try to schedule uninterrupted work time to catch up or to figure out systems or the new roll outs I am critiqued for not having that time available for student calls. Also told, I shouldn’t need catch up time because if I schedule and keep the 15 minute appointment time for students I should have more than enough time to do everything in those 15 minutes so management seems baffled that I would need catch up time and criticizes you for not getting everything done in those 15 minutes and accuses you of not working! We are told we don’t need more than an hour of administration time on our calendars per day. Managers micromanage our calendars. It’s crazy. They hire highly educated teachers who have run departments or schools in former jobs and they find the need to micro manage our calendars and they call it coaching. Helping students and mentoring future teachers is the awesome part of the job. However, it gets to the point that all the negatives out weigh the positives and you don’t have to be a teacher to figure out that equation…

9 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee

Not the Best, but Not Horrible

Oct 20, 2021 - Scholarships Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home High pay for upper management Little management oversight Tuition discount

Cons

Low pay for "entry level" Rude students Retains employees with multiple sexual harassment allegations Low raises

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Instructors Beware

Jan 5, 2021 - Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Bonuses and competitive wages.

Cons

Micromanagement and managed by individuals who don’t know how to manage people and aren’t qualified to manage people. Also, you must drink the philosophy koolaid or you are targeted. You don’t teach but are an academic coach and will do hours and hours of outreach and emails and phone calls to students. They say they want to find best practices to share when they are monitoring your student interactions but who are they kidding. They are a starting to monitor your interactions with students and sooner or later it will become an evaluation tool each term. Employees are now expected to evaluate their peers and it is logged into the system. They accept everyone and if your student doesn’t pass, you have build study plans each time and they get more cumbersome and extensive each time a student fails. Always implementing change and it inhibits the academic experience and most of the time they put the cart before the horse with their changes.

12 people found this review helpful