Western Institutional Review Board Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Patsy Whited

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very Interesting & Needed Industry"

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Olympia, WA

I worked at Western Institutional Review Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team I was on was great. Although, I only spent 3 months with them, they gave me the impression they worked well together.

Cons

Just as I came on board, they were in the process of getting rid of providing employee lunches and moving to a new location. Both of which has been resolved by now!

2. "Operation Specialist"

Current Employee - Operations in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Operations in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Western Institutional Review Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not looking to commute into Seattle, good location. But not worth it! This is a temporary job. Run!

Cons

WIRB has training classes every few months. 1 out of 5 last. For a period of time. When they terminate an employee, they call them into a meeting and send maintenance to pack up their desk. Then they walk them out the back door. Which is a staircase into the basement, on the opposite end of the building where one would park. Disgusting. No class.
    First 3 weeks of initial training is fun and exciting. Then employees are on the floor. Usually pre-board, log-in, or post-board teams. Leads are all buddies. Vindictive, mean people. And these leads who are less educated than most newly hired, will talk behind your back. Enjoy if you struggle. Have no desire to see anyone succeed. Managers and HR allows this. Read reviews below. As a current employee, they are true. Just run!

Advice to Management

Cannot tell management or HR anything. “At will” company right? At will to fire and harass all under your roof. Advice to those employees reading this, disgusted about the environment and want out? Find another job first. Wishing all the best of luck.

"Work environment is manipulative and twisted. Scary place to be."

Current Employee - IRB Staff in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - IRB Staff in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Western Institutional Review Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview and first 3 weeks of training lead me to believe I would be working a positive environment.

Cons

The pros were not reality. As an employee, I am not treated like adult. Breaks are being timed. Get “A” personal phone call -manger wants to know who called. Documented in an email! Leads walk around and watch people to report them to management. Like Wardens. This was nothing like the interview I had with HR. I thought I was coming into a positive work environment.
    There is no Intranet for procedures. Leads create desk helps (yes, for regulated consent forms) that are poorly written, in multiple folder, and there are SO many.
    Management and some staff are very cliquey. Drinking buddy’s. You are not encouraged. You are put down. Everyday. They want to get you to a place (almost like cult) where you are broken, weak, everything you have ever learned (education/work experience) is stripped from you. Really all about control. Scary place to be. 25 years, I have never experienced a work environment (not even remotely) so manipulative and twisted. **HR, do not respond. Deal with management. WIRB has serious abusive legal repercussion that are overdue. Start questioning current employees (without letting management know).

Advice to Management

Build effective and responsive interpersonal relationships with staff members and colleagues. Treat them with dignity and respect. Display dependability and character under even the most challenging occurrences. In return, they will respect you.

Oct 13, 2017

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I'm honestly at a loss for words and I'm having a hard time following the examples you're providing. In your message above, you indicate HR does not respond... More

"Scary Smart"

Former Employee - Operations in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Operations in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Western Institutional Review Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is nice, but that is it.

Cons

They are dishonest and you are judged daily. Imperfections are posted and scenes are made when you are not "good enough". The social environment is non-existent and team member don't even talk to each other for fear of retribution. When you walk to the bathroom everyone looks up to see where you are going. 5 minute meetings in the middle of the morning are a waste of time and ineffective. People are so intimidated by management they won't even go to Happy Hour. There is no celebration and our "company event" was actually pizza and soda provided by Costco in the hopes they could get members. Their recycle program is 1 recycle bin in the kitchen which everyone throws stuff in since there is no direction on what can or can't be recycled. They did an employee sweep and a group of longtime employees were fired without notice. There was no reason given. This was done in a very public manner as is most of their actions that embarrass the workers. Failure of communication on their part is blamed on the employees and although some management appear very nice, they trash talk their workers under their breath in public so they are intentionally heard. and they don't have paper plates in the kitchen and their plastic utensils are non-recyclable or even made from recycled materials. The last 2 items seem petty, but it can be the simplest things that make up the bigger issues.

Advice to Management

Take classes on how to manage from Dale Carnegie, not from Putin.

Aug 7, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and we wish you well on your next career search. I would like to add that the ideas of morning huddles was an idea brought to management by several of our employees, and... More

"If you already have a job, don't leave for a job here"

I worked at Western Institutional Review Board full-time

Pros

My compensation was decent, but also the same amount I get paid at better companies.

Cons

When I accepted the job I had read all of the negative Glassdoor complaints about WIRB but did not believe them. I left a good job for the worst job of my life, the kind that ruins weekends because you are stressed about ever going back. After I left many people were let go that had good performance reviews. While I was there, I dealt with extreme micromanagement. Also be prepared to be talked to if using your own sick time. I am so happy I have a new great job elsewhere and was just thinking about how lucky I am, thought I'd warn others. Obviously the good reviews are fake. No one goes on Glassdoor while working for a company to write a rave review. Think about it.

Advice to Management

Lost cause.

May 4, 2017

Thank you for your review and congratulations on finding a job that is a better fit for you. I do agree that this type of platform lends itself to having more negative reviews than the positive... More

"IRB Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - IRB Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - IRB Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Western Institutional Review Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible hours, nice building, advancement opportunities, telecommute opportunities, learn medical research review process, great for detail oriented people

Cons

Stress, pressure, increased quotas, can be terminated with out warning, many policy and procedure changes

Advice to Management

Improve consistency between verbal and written policies and procedures. More appreciation to all employees.

Feb 24, 2017

We appreciate your review and I have elevated your feedback. We continuously review our employee appreciation program and are looking for more opportunities to show our gratitude.

"Operations Specialist I"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA

Pros

The company is excellent. I have no complaints. I cannot understand the 25 or so reviews I just read that are so very negative. I am beginning to wonder if the impressions and negativity in those reviews are based on bad attitudes, disillusionment, and crybaby attitudes. Let me say that after working for several major corporations, including one of the top law firms in the United States who services some very high political offices, as well as several worldwide engineering firms, I have a professional perspective. If a person would look at the full business model and benefits package, they could see this is one of the best places to work in Pierce County. Perhaps those who whine and wheedle about their job at Western IRB were disillusioned, thinking this would be an easier job. This job takes critical, analytical thinking. If you are not on the ball, you will be sending out consent forms and other critical medical/health documents that are not accurate, thereby potentially placing a client/patient in a situation where there could be grave outcomes due to not following proper procedures processing those documents. This job takes a year or more to gain all the perspectives of a certain job function; there are various groups within the structure of what we do that require very close scrutiny on all products handled. This is a for-profit internal review board; however, regardless of profit, the first concern of this company is the highest regard for human research subjects. Everything we do points toward the human research subject's safety. The rest of the equation is the compassionate use of a medication or device which may save a person's life. There are many times patients have exhausted all resources and gone through clinical trials; the compassionate use of a drug or device can--and has--saved lives. Not all respond effectively, but this is one of the beautiful gifts of our company to be able to help others. So for those who whine about our company--our company, who matches our 401K; who pays for our health insurance; and acts as fairly and equitably as I can see, provides flexibility and the ability to work from home on occassions, I think they need to grow a pair and get over themselves.

Cons

I haven't found any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you are wonderful!

Feb 24, 2017

We truly appreciate your feedback. That being said, we understand this position is not the right fit for everyone and try to emphasis that during the hiring process. We too believe the majority of... More

"High stress environment with constantly changing demands and poor transparency"

Current Employee - IRB Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - IRB Operations Specialist in Puyallup, WA

Pros

has a huge positive impact on human research & protecting human subjects. Lots of great people work there.

Very challenging work & if you like an environment that is fast paced and want to learn some pretty amazing stuff about medical research, this is an interesting job experience.

Cons

Ever increasing demands and metrics that are vague and imprecise; distinct disconnect between overall upper management and staff; unexpected workforce reductions.

Not a lot of upward movement available as levels are based on meeting the upper eschelons of the already tough production requirements, & minimal middle management positions.

Benefits package is not competitive compared to many similarly sized organizations and can be complicated to deal with.

Advice to Management

More transparency regarding decisions that aren't just rumors spread by staff. Make sure info going out is consistent and clear for everyone.

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I have sent this to the leadership team.

"accountant"

I worked at Western Institutional Review Board full-time

Pros

Flexible with schedule and hires temporary employees

Cons

Company does not put employees first and expects more from them than they are willing to give.

Feb 24, 2017

We appreciate you feedback. Our goal is to always be cognizance of employee perceptions, and finding opportunities to create a professional balance.

"DON'T"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Pros

For a temp agency, they pay ummmmmm ok. Overtime available and encouraged. Temps can NOT be required but have the opportunity. The Pro to a temp working OT, they will be paid for the OT, salary employs do not.

Cons

The management is ineffective. The lines of communication have two meanings, yes you can, but really you can't. No set schedule which can be good but a reason to terminate a person based on being tardy. How can you say one is tardy when a schedule was never discussed, just get your 8 hours in. If you are not a permanent employee, don't expect to take ANY time off with out making up your missed hours even though it was approved. The expectations and lack of training set a person up for failure. There is no opportunity to become a permanent unless you "know" someone. It is another "Corporate" company that business is always first no matter what

Advice to Management

My advice to management is DON'T get sick, your head may be on the chopping block too.

Feb 24, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Based on your notes above, it appears you came to us via a temp service and we don’t control the agency’s pay rates. It’s true, not every department has set hours; we... More