Western Oregon University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor, Finance in Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor, Finance in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Less stress, more teaching oriented, collegial atmosphere, small class sizes

Cons

Less salary, not much databases, lack of summer support

2. "The Research Institute"

Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am the lead web developer for The Research Institute at Western Oregon University. The people are top notch, intelligent, collaborative. Working atmosphere is congenial and fairly laid back most of the time. I can pretty much work with whatever technology I feel is best suited for the job at hand. A lot of freedom. The benefit package is outstanding.

Cons

Low pay, some bureaucracy, lack of funding for career development opportunities. Being the only developer on staff is tough sometimes because you really need to push yourself forward - nobody is going to help you with that.

Advice to Management

Look for more ways to fund a junior level developer position.

3. "Fair"

Former Employee - Lab Support in Monmouth, OR
    Former Employee - Lab Support in Monmouth, OR

I worked at Western Oregon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close proximity to university facilities.

Cons

No consideration for student workers.

5. "Love the people I work with"

Current Employee - Administrative Program Assistant in Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Program Assistant in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small university and faculty that focus on the students. The salary is fair and the benefits are great.

In the division I work in, I truly love working with the faculty.

Cons

We are union represented and I am not a big fan of unions. I do see that there are benefits, but when it comes to salary, I would prefer to be paid based on my own merit.

Advice to Management

The manager that I work with is fair, but I think that at times she can be a little controlling. I think she would do herself and others a service to delegate more.

6. "A Decent Place to be a Student Worker"

Current Employee - GIS Research Specialist in Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - GIS Research Specialist in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the staff and one professor who I worked with during my time here. It seemed most of the people were interested in me making a difference in my future.

Cons

On the other hand, I there were several professors who did quite the opposite and did not care. There was one particular who originally hired me and disappeared. Someone else much better took me into their hands. Also, there is no guarantee you will always get the hours you need.

Advice to Management

Considering most of the people I dealt with had no relation to management, this is not applicable. For the one or two who did, they did just fine.

7. "Computer Science Tutor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monmouth, OR

I worked at Western Oregon University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than minimum wage, relatively easy since I had already taken the courses I tutored for. Friendly and helpful coworkers.

Cons

Schedule is determined by the students and they can back out of meetings with little or no notice. Tutoring had to be done on campus in a specific location.

Advice to Management

Tutoring can often be difficult when the person being tutored isn't comfortable in the setting specified by the school. Tutors should be able to change the location based on such things.

8. "The Little Engine That Could"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor of Community Health Education in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission
    Engaged students
    Competent & savvy colleagues
    State insurance/retirement benefits

Cons

Frequent administrative overturn
    Very low pay compared to other colleges/professors at comparable schools
    60+ hour work week
    Must find other employment during the summer to make ends meet
    Unable to retain faculty

Advice to Management

WOU has some of the most dedicated staff and faculty I have ever seen. A key part of the success of WOU relies on students feeling welcomed & supported, and that is difficult to do when staff and faculty are leaving to find jobs that pay competitively. A student deserves to see the same professor that greeted them during their first classes at WOU, in line at graduation--students thrive in stable, predictable environments. WOU isn't providing that.

9. "Western Oregon University 2015"

I worked at Western Oregon University full-time

Pros

Flexible with required knowledge due to the training you get on the job. Works around schedules really well.

Cons

Expects a lot of work to be done sometimes without proper resources.

10. "Math Tutor"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Monmouth, OR
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Monmouth, OR

Pros

Relaxed scheduling made it easy to work around classes. Most teachers provided adequate supplementary materials to aid in assisting students.

Cons

Communication between faculty and tutor schedulers was poor; on days prior to exams the number of students coming in would easily triple while the number of tutors stayed the same.

11. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice. And Office culture is nice. But I don't think will be personal growth.

Cons

No. There is no training, but I think the job is not too hard, just communicate with student and professors. The leadership need to improve.

Advice to Management

I think the campus is a little bit small, so sometimes the process is slow.