Western Power Distribution Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert A. Symons

"Inventory Control"

Former Employee - Stock Controller in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Stock Controller in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at Western Power Distribution full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for WPD for 11 years in Exeter I worked for SWEB originally then they split it in two halves. I always loved working for WPD and had great work colleges. The company was always good to me with flexi time when I had my kids etc. And the management was always excellent and very supportive.

Cons

WPD has since taken over the Midlands and WPD has gone right down hill. One thing goes in one area but not in another they all have their own rules with no consistency. I wouldn't want to work for them now but unfortunately my poor husband still does. He now works in the Midlands he doesn't get any of the management support or back up. Management don't seem to want to take on any responsibilities a whole different company now totally different. I am very surprised that Mr R Symons has let this happen.

Advice to Management

You need to set out rules and regs and set them company wide. West Midlands seem to make it up as they go along. No longer the highly thought of company I used to know!

2. "Job satisfaction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Pros

Secure job work varies from day to day

Cons

Treated differently to other colleagues doing the same job

Advice to Management

Use clocking system for time keeping

3. "Good"

Former Employee - Data Administrator in Tipton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Data Administrator in Tipton, England (UK)

I worked at Western Power Distribution (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed all the staff I worked with and the management were very pleasant. Good opportunities for permanent positions. Enjoyed time

Cons

There was a lack of flexible working hours. The building in Tipton was dire, often with a lack of heating which took too long to fix

Advice to Management

Be more flexible in the working hour staff want to work. Improve the building that we were working in to make it a more enjoyable environment to work

"What benefits?"

Pros

None, terrible company to work for

Cons

Many, pretty much everything apart from the pay

6. "CAD mapping operator"

Former Employee - CAD Operator
    Former Employee - CAD Operator

Pros

Good, friendly management, pension scheme for all employees, dress down fridays. Healthy working environment with opportunities to develop, learn more and progress.

Cons

Often work can become repetitive.

7. "promotion limited"

Current Employee - GIS Technician in Exeter, England (UK)
    Current Employee - GIS Technician in Exeter, England (UK)

Pros

great opportunies to work overtime and increase on basic salary but home life will suffer

Cons

limited promotion and can quickly become stagnant. Old school style management!!!

Advice to Management

promote from within give those with the experience the chance to grow

8. "Good company to work for in some roles, but not a place for professionals looking to progress."

Former Employee - Wayleave Manager in West Bromwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Wayleave Manager in West Bromwich, England (UK)

I worked at Western Power Distribution full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are good to work with and work hard. The package (pay, leave, pay rises) is pretty good and there is a good employee assistance programme. There is a good 'company car' package (if the role is eligible for one). Offices are generally OK, but this is variable from location to location.

Cons

Departments can be very insular. Management style is rather out of date and heavy handed. Opportunities for promotion are very limited. Training is well supported in some roles and almost non existent in others - so choose carefully. No recognition generally for professional qualifications and limited support for CPD or professional advancement. The internet is considered the medium of the devil! IT systems are adequate, but too home grown to be as effective as they might be. Can be very bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Only appoint managers who really know the nature of the work & staff that they are to manage.

"Stay well clear of this company"

I worked at Western Power Distribution full-time

Pros

Reasonable salary - but not enough for what was expected of you and the amount of pressure you are under.

Cons

Everything - no matter how hard you try if your face doesn't fit they will do everything in their power to find a reason to fire you or screw you over or discipline you. They are unsupportive and basically try to crush your enthusiasm until you're a WPD zombie and will take orders without question. Behind the scene cutting corners to get the job done quicker and pressure to do so. Culture of being too afraid to report near misses etc.

Advice to Management

Quit.

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Linesman in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Linesman in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible place to work, good benefits and pension, good overtime rates. Free car parking at local depot.

Cons

Can often be long working days,

"Bully style Management"

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time

Pros

Varied work and get to meet different people in different locations almost daily if you have the right job.If you are operational you will get OT if you want it that is.

Cons

Western Powers primary objective is making money and pleasing the regulator even if that means cooking the books.Bully style management means people are too scared challenge ideas and consult eachother let alone superiors.Work/life balance can be poor, work load is very high and keeps piling up meaning it is difficult to get help with big projects because your colleuges are in the same boat.

If you are not delivering projects on time and on budget expect to be beasted, your thoughts/ ideas and home life have no place in the equation here, dig your heals in and make a stand your life will be made difficult or you can lose your job in the most underhanded ways.

Forget a 37 hour week if you are operational

Advice to Management

People by nature go the extra mile if they work for a company that values them, WPD model works but think about all the extra money you can make by delivering projects on time,Good will only lasts because we have respect for eachother, it's us that goes out in the middle of the night at a moments notice to cook the books.