Western State Colorado University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lovely Community and Team"

Former Employee - Marketing Project Manager in Gunnison, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Project Manager in Gunnison, CO

I worked at Western State Colorado University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with was great and worked well together; most workers received their own offices; good sense of community at the school; beautiful location

Cons

Location is very remote; not a ton of hour flexibility (may very by department)

Advice to Management

Management in marketing is wonderful, and I'm glad an overt structure was set in place. Also good communication between all different management levels!

2. "Current administration DOESN'T GET IT."

I worked at Western State Colorado University full-time

Pros

I love Western and am an alum myself. I have a passion for the community and feel that I got a wonderful education there. Also, my direct supervisor was wonderful and the team I worked with was amazing. However, of the four of us, none of us are employed by Western anymore. Western has a lot going for it for students, as its student-faculty ratio is incredibly low and students are really able to tailor their educational experience to their personal values and career aspirations.

Cons

The current administration at Western is going the way of the education factory. They care only about butts in seats. Also, the current president of the university was only hired because he's buddies with the chair of the school's Board of Trustees. Another candidate was heavily favored by students, faculty, and staff. This administration is not interested in promoting any of the assets at Western -- particularly its amazing location and recreational pursuits, which are the basis of the most successful programs at the university. Instead, they are dumping assets into promoting a nominally successful school of business, while most other departments are left to fend for themselves. The culture is such that employees are expected to take on increasing responsibilities with no additional compensation, so everyone ends up overworked and underpaid. The turnover there in administrative positions is incredibly high.

3. "Great Environment"

I have been working at Western State Colorado University part-time

Pros

Great experience and great area to live.

Cons

Long Hours for how little pay. Comes with the position though.

4. "Western is a Family"

Former Employee - Web Manager in Gunnison, CO
    Former Employee - Web Manager in Gunnison, CO

I worked at Western State Colorado University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing offices, wonderful people to work with in both the faculty and staff, the Mountaineer Field House has indoor track and exercise programs, the campus and community are beautiful.

Cons

Salaries are low, the weather can be formidably cold in the winter, rural location.

5. "Small gem university; great town and people; low salaries"

Current Employee - Full-Time Lecturer in Gunnison, CO
    Current Employee - Full-Time Lecturer in Gunnison, CO

Pros

Excellent work environment, smart supportive colleagues. Nice campus. Exceptional amenities and a great little town in the heart of the Rockies.

Cons

Pay is 20% below national average in a town with a cost of living higher than average.

6. "Teaching Assistant"

I worked at Western State Colorado University part-time

Pros

Great location, amazing colleagues, and enjoyable work.

Cons

Not much for cons, this was a great job while attending college.

7. "On its way up?"

Pros

The community, the recreational opportunities, terrific benefits, flexibility, opportunity for growth, wonderful education department

Cons

Needs stronger academic leadership that is more progressive and better trained in management, would benefit from standing up to some tenured faculty

Advice to Management

Try to operate with a growth mindset, differentiate squeaky wheels from relevant complaints, work on salary competitiveness

8. "Gorgeous setting"

I worked at Western State Colorado University full-time

Pros

Lots of great hiking and biking with plenty of time off to go enjoy the scenery. Some very dedicated and supportive staff and lots of people like to ski.

Cons

Very low salaries, constant issues with low student enrollment, and very cold and rural so if that is not for you, then don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's a wonderful setting to be in and i really enjoyed my time there

9. "Custodian 2"

Former Employee - Custodian I in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Custodian I in Denver, CO

I worked at Western State Colorado University (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work , management was awesome.I loved the interaction with the students THe work was great a we had a great crew who always helped on another

Cons

No room for advancement, pay was not all that great. Wish they had better benefits. Other than that is was a great place to work

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Really enjoy the people (Faculty, Staff and Students) that work on this beautiful campus in Gunnison, Colorado."

Current Employee - Fitness Center Manager in Gunnison, CO
    Current Employee - Fitness Center Manager in Gunnison, CO

I have been working at Western State Colorado University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Western has great benefits and working in the Campus Rec Department is a delight! The energy is positive and the members are genuine. A true pleasure to work at Western! Our best partnership is with the Athletic Department. With the addition of a new Athletic Director and the Assistant Athletic Director there are awesome vibes in our new Mountaineer Field House building.

Cons

My department is pretty darn awesome. The only thing you have to remember is that because we are a small department, there are many times that your 40 hour week turns into a 50-60 or 75 hour week. While these weeks are a lot of hard work and extra effort, the department heads recognize the extra effort and are more that happy to allow comp time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Directors who appreciate their workers are amazing leaders and good mentors. Positive attitudes and a lot of customer service is a good working environment.