Western Technologies Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Working at WTI"

Current Employee - Special Inspector - AWS CWI in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Inspector - AWS CWI in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to train in multiple areas, the company supports self motivated and driven individuals. If you want to excel in the field you have to do the work but they will support.

Cons

Still use paper forms.

2. "Environmental"

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. I took & held the job for a year to beef up my resume out of school- I dreaded every day I pulled into that parking lot.

Cons

If the other reviews didn't convince you, the office I worked at maintained one lesbian on staff so the 'good ol boys' couldn't be sued for discrimination (she was tolerable).

Advice to Management

What's the point? They only care about their own career growth.

"I can count at least 7 people who are ready to jump ship at a moment's notice!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will train you and pay for your certifications. You do have to pay it back if you leave the company. This is why they are known as Western Train-ologies Inc. Get paid every other week. Clean bathrooms. Good benefits (Medical is really expensive though).

Cons

Poor work culture. Positive recognition/encouragement is rare. If any is given, it's because you miraculously were able to read the Manager's mind, exceed unspoken expectations, and write a perfect report. Otherwise, any feedback is typically a critique. Non-inclusive environment. Competitiveness between staff members is encouraged even though there is no room for upward mobility. The only reward is either not getting critiqued or a simple pat on the back. Collaboration is unheard of. Even Managers are competitive with each other. This attitude trickles down and lower staff can feel it. Lack of leadership. Condescending and snide comments are a norm, and if you complain, they are simply brushed under the rug. There is a high turnover rate (HR and upper management know this), yet nothing is done. There is no thought to corporate sustainability (e.g. no recycle program, junk food vending machines, use of styrofoam cups are encouraged). Low wages and pay rate. Bare-minimum performance reviews every 2+ years. Lack of clear communication. Resistant to using technology to improve inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

Conduct performance reviews every 6 months that actually set up personal and career goals. Check in to see if staff members have comments or are actually satisfied with their job/duties. Conduct trainings at least 1-2x month to develop staff skills and move them in the direction that you want them to instead of having unreachable expectations. A company's employees are the best asset--DEVELOP THEM AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE HAPPY! Have team building retreats/events to build some sort of community. Upper management, corporate admin, and the CEO should introduce themselves to new staff and make them feel welcomed.

"NCI (National Calibration Inc)- Dishonest Sub-Company"

Former Employee - Calibration Technician
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician

Pros

Nothing positive to say about this company. Terrible benefits, organization, and company.

Cons

Terrible pay, dishonest supervisors, disorganized, "off-the-record" workarounds so as to not upset off the accounting department, not paid for airport travel, no per diem unless you're away for 24 hours (even if you work 23 straight hours). Terrible pay. A lot of politicing going on. If you try to make improvements, you're bound to step on toes and hurt egos.

Advice to Management

Organize and standardize the company! Processes are way too chaotic and there is not a set way of doing tasks.

5. "Project Manager"

Pros

Thinking..... still thinking,cant think of one damn thing!

Cons

Where to start? Boss was crazy! Complained because he could not quit because a no compete clause. Cocktail lunch's, wtf are you kidding me? I could go on there were some really good people here but when you have a few rotten eggs it spoils the whole batch.

Advice to Management

If there is someone who does not want to work for your company let them go regardless of a do not compete clause. Let them and your company will be better for it. I have never run from a job so quickly in my life!

"Calibration Technician"

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, pleasant work environment

Cons

Large backlogs and sub-par personnel management

"Special Inspector/Construction Materials Technician"

Former Employee - Special Inspector in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Special Inspector in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good place to start for introduction into the industry. Plenty of challenging assignments. All necessary equipment, basic training, and company vehicle provided with emphasis on safety. Middle management staff are very knowledgable and accessible. Decent benefits for full time employees. Great work environment.

Cons

High turnover rate due to low wages. Work load may prevent and/or complicate ability to pursue additional certifications and training. Opportunity for advancement within company seems to be very limited.

Advice to Management

Better compensation! This issue perpetuates the idea that the company is simply training its competitors!

"Engineering Tech"

Former Employee - Entry Level Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Entry Level Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of different tests to complete and many different opportunities to pursue.

Cons

No oportunity to move up even if you have a masters degree. I was promised a full time position with benefits and increased pay. Four months later I was told this would not happen until I got my EIT. I was working on getting my EIT but felt they had bad ethics.

Advice to Management

Offer someone coming in with great potential a future position IN WRITING (good pay and benefits). This way they will stay and want to work for a company that cares about them.

"Must be a Self-Starter to Excel Here"

Former Employee - Geotechnical Services Coordinator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Geotechnical Services Coordinator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; middle management intelligent and thoughtful of employee needs; opportunity to advance and possess autonomy in one's position IF one is a self-starter who does not need a great deal of guidance and is not afraid of admitting to and learning from one's mistakes.

Cons

Low rates of starting pay; difficult to advance career without significant effort; limited number of career advancement opportunities; training opportunities often abrupt or non-existent due to work load; upper management/CEO has little practical knowledge of his employees, what the business is about, and doesn't care, as long as he makes his $$.

Advice to Management

Get more people in Corporate who really know what the business is about, who don't see skilled and willing employees as replaceable commodities.

"Run."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Western Technologies Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your paycheck will clear every two weeks.

Cons

Antiquated HR policies. You have to sign payback agreements for industry required training and licenses. Vacation time earned annually. If you leave employment (either by your own accord or by termination, they keep your vacation time and take out the cost of any training you received/participated in. No incentives to excel. Employees are seen as commodities to be replaced. Not a place to make a career.

Advice to Management

Update your HR policies, Treat employees as a valued resource. You are actually marketing your employees capabilities and experience, not the firm's. Allow for personal and professional growth of your employees without strings and one-sided agreements. As consultants, you should offer your clients trust, confidence, a professional relationship, and experience. It's difficult for employees to hit that mark when management distrust it's employees, has little confidence in the firm's abilities, treats employees as replaceable, and only management is allowed to grow professionally.