Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, good location

Cons

Not many people believe in the leadership

"Good old company but has been going through many changes/restructurings"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits such as tuition assistance and student loan payoff assistance, the global reach and brand, striving to be more agile

Cons

Low pay vs the market, high turnover of employees, constant restructuring of the business

Advice to Management

Pay well to your employees, be more agile to change to the market demand, innovate for new products

"OK as a first job but not as a career"

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good, flexible schedule, enjoyable work environment, laid back atmosphere, easy to go with the flow, overall a great place to work (for the complacent)

Cons

-I'd say that 80% of the managers have no idea how to "people manage."
    -Upper management is out of touch with the 9-5 employee.
    -If you work in Operations just be weary. Your job could be outsourced to Vilnius at really any time.
    -The pay is ok for starters (0-4 years of experience), but any manager who is aggressive about career development is under paid. If one isn't a go-getter then his/her salary is probably in-line with the industry, but any go-getter who stays with WU is essentially taking a big pay cut. An analyst role with a big firm will pay one more than a senior manager role with WU. I guess what i'm trying to say is that there isn't much advancement in terms of salary to be found at WU for a serious career minded employee. The company higher ups like to say that they conduct studies to ensure their pay is in-line with the industry, but they don't understand that top talent needs to be paid MORE than the industry. To put it simply, WU is utterly incapable of keeping top talent because they pay an average wage, and what happens when you pay top talent an average wage? Just ask WU HR, they're kept mighty busy filling and refilling the same positions...

Advice to Management

-Take down all the signs about how "the customer always comes first" or "it begins with the customer" and take a page out of Richard Branson's book. Employees should come first and they will take care of your customers. WU has forgotten the employee and drowns them in one customer centric module after another. Look i get it, you tried one approach and a good one too, but after 5+ years here I can say that it hasn't worked and nothing has changed.
    -You need to find a way to keep top talent.
    -You need to stop promoting people to managers just because they know the systems. Find managers who know how to people manage.

"Good Company...."

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had great fun working at WU. People are very knowledgeable and help each other.

Cons

Too many contractors hired to work with employees.

Advice to Management

Pay more $$$ to the employees instead of wasting on contractors.

5. "Hard to Swollow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for entry level, and the people who do the grunt work are usually pretty awesome.

Cons

Layoffs happen every quarter and it’s extremely sad, they aren’t needed if they believed in process improvement. Not many people believe in the leadership as it is do as I say and turn your cheek to what I do. There is no support in growth opportunity unless you are in the inner circle then positions are made for you instead of open to others to apply. There is constant reorganization often caused by layoffs or VP and above leaving.

Advice to Management

You may want to reevaluate your business and try to not have layoffs or VP and above leaving every week.

6. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good while they were here

Cons

Moved out of The United States

Advice to Management

Stay in the United States

7. "WU Digital"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working full-time at Western Union SF office since last 5+ years. I had a great working experience and WU as a place is evolving. Everyday is a new challenge and you will feel great going to work.

Cons

I am really frustrated with facilities at the office. Most will question my review as facilities should be the last thing one should be worried about working in IT, but not at WU. There is kind of gang created with office facility manager, IT support and HR. So getting anything done is quite impossible.

Simple things like getting IT support for meeting to standing desk, cannot be done unless you lick up to office manager. And if you want to escalate to HR it doesn’t help as HR will speak to office manager about everything!!!

Office manager/supplies:
    I submitted a doctor’s note to get a standing desk 2 years back but guess what, no one cares!
    Simple things like, getting ice from fridge, getting supplies: pens and notepads is not easy and you will get to see rolling eyes!
    1st floor water dispenser will test your patience if you try to fill a water bottle!
    Collective view (A ticketing system used to submit facilities request) is a joke as office manager will harass people for submitting requests or will close them without any valid reason!
    She seems to have mood swings and guess who have to live up with it, everyone!
    There is no one to escalate to so she walks like a boss and acts like a mean one!

IT support:
    They are available from 9:30 to 3:30 and away in between whenever they want! (I want that kind of flexibility)
    They “hate” mac systems and have knowledge or support macbooks! (We are in 2018, WAKE UP)
    None of conference rooms have any mac accessories to project items in a meeting. So guess while silicon valley is moving forward who is moving backward!
    To deal with open office space, try asking for privacy screens or noise cancellation headphones, and you will see they have no idea what that is!

HR:
    I don’t remember HR doing anything for existing employees
    If anyone is troubled at work, you are advised to talk to HR. Here at WU you talk to HR so that they can report person who complaint to office manager so that she can walk around and give people BS!

Advice to Management

To summarize, I want to say, all the people I listed above should enable everyone to work and deliver better but Meh not at WU.
    I am glad to be leaving soon and find less toxic place to work in, but I will definitely all the sharp minds I got to work with!

Management should look into making WU a more friendly place to work at!

8. "Lots of interesting technical opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior TPM in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior TPM in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competive Pay, Nice Benefits, Location

Cons

It's a big financial company so lots of red tape and security hurdles to navigate. The company's core business is under pressure on multiple fronts.

9. "Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture. Good attempts for work/life balance. Competitive environment.

Cons

Can be hard to follow work/life balance

"great place to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

lots of opportunities to learn and grow as a business leader. the organization is changing ever 12-18 months so you always have a new boss or team. working for a purpose-driven brand gives more meaning to your day-to-day work

Cons

Lots of org changes - the minute everyone is finally working effectively in their new roles, the organization will change again.

Advice to Management

The strategy is a good one, fund it, and let the team's do their work.