Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Salary; good team; work life balance" (in 86 reviews)

• "Good benefits like tuition reimbursement" (in 52 reviews)

1. "Sr. Engineer Tester"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer Tester in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer Tester in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good working environment, would recommend it

Cons

None that i can think of

"New Leadership - Lack of Knowledge"

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No Pros after change in Management

Cons

Lack of Knowledge , Strategy , Discipline & Moral

Resources are being judged and offered promotions in one direction

On the other side, an entire set of incompetent so called leaders was brought on board.

Onsite complements offshore and vice versa on the stupidity.

Advice to Management

Please retain the 2 or 3 left over key leaders to sustain for at least couple of years. The new leadership neither have tech skills nor management appetite to scale.

"stay away"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

good team workers in the team.

Cons

bad management and managers all over.

"Marketing manager"

I worked at Western Union full-time

Pros

Friendly work enviroment, some trainings

Cons

No long term vision

"Most unorganized organization I have ever worked for. No one cares not even the CEO."

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits that’s about it I’m not kidding

Cons

Unorganized company ,unprofessional overseas employees, management doesn’t care about employees. No one has a clue to what is going on. Everyone is on a different page day in and day out. Pay cuts! Too much red tape. Everything is a process and takes tooo darn long. God forbid you need a customer issue resolved.

Advice to Management

Get organized!

Nov 15, 2018 – Company Representative

We’re disappointed to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We assure you that we care about each and every employee on our team. We also understand the... More

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project M in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project M in New York, NY

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work life and vacation. Somewhat decent salary but yearly increases are minimal.

Cons

No growth for tenured employees. You can be in the same position for 10 years without any natural progression in your career path. The only way to move up is to apply to a position once it becomes available. Those positions mostly are people management positions and the company seems to hire those without any proper people management skills.

Management will also let their talented individuals leave the company without trying to keep them. Everyone seems replaceable.

The New York office is also segregated from the rest of the company. There's minimal HR presence and no culture to be had. That office has become a very sad place to work on a daily basis. Senior Management are either fully remote or hide out in their offices.

No product innovation. The current product and project management team keep recycling the same product based on a reactions in the industry. These teams need a major overhaul with talented individuals keen on developing the best software and experience possible. 1999 called, they want their website back.

Advice to Management

Develop and invest in your talent. People want to grow and also be recognized for their achievements. Little recognition is given for small wins and the focus is always on big wins which credit is always given to the same individuals. This leads to low morale throughout the team that isn't privileged enough to work on those projects.

I would also revisit Senior management titles. The organization is too top heavy, with those managers not adding any value.

"So much room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, the people, new office.
    Onboarding is terrible.
    Some leaders really are embracing the change for the better (maybe 15% in Denver)

Cons

The leadership (Director and Above) have been there for so long and talk about change but won't embrace it. There are constant layoffs making for a hostile environment.
    HR does not support the employee,

Advice to Management

Work on your HR department, they aren't there for the people. Pay attention to red flags such as large exodus of departments.

"Analyst/Sr. Analyst/Lead Analyst (compliance)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, decent benefits, some really good people.

Cons

If you want to get ahead, it is rarely based on how you do your job, it's who you are friends with. The boys club network is very alive at WU, at least in compliance. Is every department in compliance like that? No, in some of them it only matters if you are willing to work tons of extra hours for no extra pay, and kiss up to certain people.
    I did work with some great people here. I also worked in a position that I loved, and was very good at - only to have to leave that department and position because I was told I would never get promoted, because the Director's buddy was going to get it instead (and that my experience didn't matter). And, mine is not the first or last story to have that ending.
    Finally, just know that as a compliance employee, you will be treated as a minion/peasant by the CEO and his people. After all, they all went to a brand new glitzy building, and stuck compliance a mile away in an old building that has seen better days.
    Salary and bonus %'s will vary by who you know and, depending on the department in compliance, what your gender is.
    And yes, the CCO is aware of all of this and chooses to not do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Act like you care about your employees. Telling your compliance department that you are moving to a new building, but not taking them along, is just crappy. Also, start enforcing an atmosphere of work by merit, stop letting the boys clubs run things. There is a reason you have a constant turnover.
    For the CCO: if you are going to have a forum promoting women, of which you are one, and all of the women attending are saying the same thing about their male bosses, Do Something About It.
    Oh, and stop forcing the CEO's political opinions on the so called non-profit Foundation and the company employees.

Oct 19, 2018 – Company Representative

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear about your experience and want you to know that we have worked hard to build a culture where employees can share ideas in all areas of our... More

9. "Lots of Good Things, Yet Lots of Opportunity to Improve"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company does amazing things around the world. Their Compliance organization is best in class. There are lots of smart, kind, funny, hard-working people.

Cons

There are dozens of processes across the company in various functions that are archaic and create issues in working cross functionally.

Advice to Management

Consider looking at internal processes infrastructure in key functions everyone works with, like HR, Legal, Procurement, etc. There are lots of opportunities for improvement.

Oct 10, 2018 – Company Representative

We couldn't agree more with your pros! #WUROCKS We appreciate your thoughts regarding internal processes. We are dedicated to implementing thoughtful workstreams to help us grow as an organization... More

10. "Director Settlement / Payment Operations"

Current Employee - Director Global Settlement Solutioning/Payment Operations in Danville, CA

I have been working at Western Union (More than 5 years)

Pros

Global, fast moving, Good all round package, Open culture

Cons

Many projects competing for time and resources. More standardization needed.

Advice to Management

Reward top contributors to prevent departures.

Oct 10, 2018 – Company Representative

We appreciate the pros and cons you have shared with us. "Global and fast moving" definitely describes WU, and we are proud of the many opportunities for learning and growth this brings us and our... More