Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They operate in a very lean organizational structure so attaining a work life balance can be a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• Under staffed, very stressed senior management (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Changing"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Purpose of moving money for better is real at WU. The good the company does is amazing, often overlooked. New focus on wuway gives all employees hope for the future.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy and non-value add work mainly driven by finance and legal. Can be passive aggressive, vp's complain without offering solutions.

Advice to Management

Move faster on culture and change, get managers out that are not aligned. Focus on the customer.

Feb 27, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for the feedback. We agree that the company is going through an exciting period of change and rapid digitization. We are interested in continuing to drive down bureaucracy wherever there is... More

2. "2017"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Good vision and product set

Cons

Many different business units make for complex model

Advice to Management

Freshen up and make the tough decisions to free up the potential

"The best company I work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very generous salary, bonus and benefits including 401(k) matching, superb health plan complete with life insurance and all. Many other perks including tuition reimbursement, monthly coupons for free money transfer, rewards points you can use to but stuff online. Satisfying job knowing you help people reach out to their loved ones at crucial moments in their needs.

Cons

Non I can think of.

"Beware of a dying company. The next Blockbuster"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented workforce. Decent pay and benefits. Decent severance package when you get laid off. Nice on-site amenities that will soon go away when they sell their campus and downsize to leased space in a high rise (Red flag)

Cons

Where do I begin?
    The company is in a constant state of flux and reorganization in hopes of saving what is a company dying a slow death.
    Constant...and I mean constant...reorganizations of the business. Not only is this a problem, but the bigger problem is the reorgs involve the same leadership that is still stuck in the prehistoric retail location business model that is causing the company to die to begin with. It’s the same people in different positions. The proverbial shuffling the deck chairs on the ship mentality. No matter how you arrange the chairs...it’s still the same chairs.
    There needs to be a complete overhaul of the leadership team. That isn’t happening with the current board. Meanwhile, competitors and fintech startups offering better, cheaper, faster are rapidly eating away at WU’s market share resulting in very low single digit growth.
    In order to show growth, the company is cutting in other areas resulting in constant layoffs. Every November a d December involve mass layoffs. It’s a holiday tradition at WU. Although this year it went well into the spring.
    The company is closing offices all over the world and consolidating. The most evident is putting their global headquarters campus they own up for sale and leasing several floors of a high rise just north of their current location. Again. Cutting costs in order to show what little growth they can.

To those interested in joining this company:
    -Be ready for layoffs. Lots of them...under the disguise of the “WU Way.” AKA how to cut costs but still be able to pay for things like million dollar building ribbon cutting events, $15m logo sponsorships with sports teams and multimillion dollar salaries for execs.

-Be ready to deal with plenty of politics and heiarchy. It’s real at WU which operates very much in an old school heiarchal workforce model, which in turn impedes growth and decision making

-Be ready to work for a company getting its tail kicked by competitors including PayPal, Venmo and Transferwise. WU is trying to market to millennials but missed that boat years ago. It’s only a matter of time before the majority of their migrant market is able to utilize these new services and will leave WU for better, faster, cheaper. Money transfer is becoming a commodity market and will soon go the way of how services are bought such as cable, internet and cell phones. WU can’t get in a price war because they can’t afford to...mainly because they have to keep their 550,000 locations afloat...therefore sticking to the prehistoric business model and continuing in the death spiral.

-Be ready for lots of bosses. Turnover is real and talented execs are leaving and others constantly being forced out.

-Be ready for lots of processes, protocols and review. Thing is it bogs down performance and getting work done. The company has launched one new website the entire year. One. And that was for Kuwait of all places 😂😂

Advice to Management

Take your package and leave. Hopefully the company will find a sucker to buy them or a miracle will happen and actually finds a leadership team that operates in the modern day century.

"Exciting career and competitive remuneration"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Exciting work
    Salary and benefits

Cons

Can encouraged more incentivised benefits

Oct 31, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

We agree that WU has great work life balance and benefits for its people. And WU strives to provide a culture that allows each employee to be challenged to do their best work! Thank you for the... More

"Decent company but leadership needs to learn talent management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WU is very multinational and multicultural. The people really want to make a difference. Has a great vision ('Moving Money for Better'). Team I was in was very flexible on hours and allowed work from home. Pay was good.

Cons

However, the organization feels to be in a constant state of reorganization. WU senior leadership is more interested in interacting with themselves and no one below their level. VPs come in, go straight to their offices, and shut the door. They barely talk to their staffs. We are just resources to be applied to a problem. Talent turns over pretty fast and there does seem to be a decline in quality of people coming in. I worked in analytics and the same issues existed. Timelines on projects were unrealistic and there is high pressure to work endless hours for no gain.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and talk to your staffs. Show you actually care about who they are and their goals.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally the people are nice once you prove yourself.

Cons

Western Union is constantly in a state of re-organization. I had 8 different bosses in 10 years. They seem to lack direction and shift their focus on key priorities way more often than a stable company should.

"WU.com = good leadership; WU corporate = not so much"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Surprisingly strong business latest at WU.com

Cons

Extremely bureaucratic and slow; lots of uncommitted people pushing work around and blaming each other

Advice to Management

Hire less contractors and more employees

Oct 31, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

We are thrilled to hear you "Recommend" WU to the community. Thank you for your feedback. We want the WU WAY to help us remove roadblocks for better collaboration and decision making. We... More

"Certain business devisions better than others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and if you work in the main Denver office then you have better chance of getting promoted compared to working at any other of their other regional offices.

Cons

Western Union has gone through several acquisitions over the years and due that there has been some identity crisis. It also doesn't have a strong leadership and due to this they are not able to drive the change they want to be competitive in the payments business.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who can bring about change and who can clearly define the 2020 vision

Oct 31, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

We love getting feedback from our more tenured WU employees. Thank you for sharing. We welcome and will share your ideas for make WU BETTER in any way. Please feel free to email us at... More

10. "It was fine"

I worked at Western Union (More than 5 years)

Pros

More or less interesting, many nice people

Cons

Nutty management with strange goals

Oct 31, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

Thank you for sharing the pros and cons of your WU experience. We are sorry to hear, that after more than 5 years with WU, you do not recommend the company. We want to strive for better in all areas... More