Western Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek
Hikmet Ersek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They operate in a very lean organizational structure so attaining a work life balance can be a challenge (in 24 reviews)

• Under staffed, very stressed senior management (in 23 reviews)

"Very old technology, no documentation"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Good payment and health insurance.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy, using very old technology and no agile methodology in any way. Waterfall projects. Come on it's 2017!

No work life balance at all, managers will put deadlines without knowing how much it takes a team to finish a task.

The company relies heavily in an offshore vendor in terms of digital expansion and they control how much they want to share with you. The quality of deliveries is very bad.

You have to work more than 9 hours if you want to catch up the offshore team (everyday). If you do not belong to offshore team, very hard to get some insight on how things work.

Advice to Management

You need order, actual agile processes and empower WU employees instead of handing over your company to an offshore vendor.

2. "Vice President"

I worked at Western Union full-time

Pros

Mission-driven brand; international, diverse workforce, great industry

Cons

Poor senior leadership, undisciplined culture, overly risk averse culture

Oct 12, 2017 – Senior Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. The pros you shared are what drives us to be BETTER! We are sorry to hear you have negatives about your WU experience. We welcome more detailed, confidential feedback, so... More

"Get ready for the layoffs -- all jobs moving to Pune India"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No accountability as senior mgmt doesn't have a clue what actually happens.
    Come and go as you want, work from home as you wait for your job to be eliminated as all jobs are moving to the new office in Pune India

Cons

Knowing your job will be eliminated eventually , today 82% of all IT workers are TATA contractors in India, hard to get any work done as the outsourcing companies control everything

Advice to Management

Hope you all enjoy your golden parachutes

Jul 13, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns. As Western Union continues to focus on technology, we are implementing a new location that will enable us to align our presence to... More

"Mis sold the job!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Western Union (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any positives about working for WUBS.

Cons

Bullying culture, very micro managed, I was also misled at the interview and not told of regulatory exams that I would have to pass or lose my job!

Jul 25, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for your feedback. We would like to get more information regarding the "cons" you shared. We realize many people may have different experiences during their time at WU. We take... More

"RUN AWAY"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Western Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

15 days PTO. Some okay perks.

Cons

Wow. Not sure how to capture how toxic this place is. Very few managers I encounter have any expertise in the work their people do, nor does there seem to be a willingness on their part to learn what their people do. What I have experienced most often is ladder climbing and an elitist attitude from anyone with a management title. Management sits all around our team and NEVER speaks to any of us. It would be interesting to know the ratio of regular staff to managers and up--seems quite top heavy. In my department (and it looks like the division), it's all about how to make yourself look good. I have seen evidence of speaking truth to power gets you fired - as in gone the next day.
    Almost everyone on my team is beaten down, even though they are highly skilled and self motivated. If you were to take management away, the team could fix 70% of issues within 3 months or less.
    Do not come here unless you can accept micromanagement, distrust, not being listened to, and no chance of ever being empowered.

Advice to Management

The sick attitudes and behaviors are so ingrained, I'm not sure anything would work. Perhaps you could take the money you spend on internal PR to convince everyone what a great place this is (or the thousands McKinsey sucks out of the company) and provide mandatory training for what leadership is.

Jun 8, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Hello, we appreciate your time sharing your feedback. Western Union is very interested in continuing to drive down bureaucracy wherever there is opportunity. Our leadership development programs (e.g... More

"Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Western Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regular pay check and good co-workers

Cons

Everything else - bad culture, pay scale, work hours and treatment.

Advice to Management

Quit lying.

Jun 8, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for sharing. We noticed you're a current WU employee of more than 5 years and your feedback is very important to us. We agree with the "pros" you shared, our co-workers are great... More

"Not for Women"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Western Union as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Good office space
    2. Free snacks/coffee

Cons

Women are not considered equal and you can feel that the moment you talk to anyone or attend any meeting. Moreover people speak in different languages even when others around them dont understand that language. People lack basic professionalism. Anyone can walk upto anyone's desk and just start talking. There is no respect for each other's time, if someone asks you a question, you are expected to drop everything and pick that work right away. Classic legacy issues management - my team is better then yours competition.

As a contractor you will be given the worst possible laptops, desk etc. Laptop given at Western Union will surely break your back as they get Dell bulky laptops that weighs too much. Most of the people who work here get doctor's note complaining about their back, that itself should speak a lot. But even with such laptops contractors are expected to work 24x7.

There is no work life balance and management takes pride in telling others how hard they are working. Save your self from this company, you might actually want to out of work then working here.

Advice to Management

Clean up engineering house, get some process in place and treat women with respect.

"Layoff after layoff"

I have been working at Western Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work here are knowledgeable and want to have passion for the company. Co-workers are friendly and can be very helpful if you build good relationships and learn how each department works. Learn your players and the game is easy but fustrating.

Cons

Where to start. Constant layoffs bring worry and morale down. Employees completely unmotivated and discouraged with only receiving 80% bonus after meeting our numbers and paying the price (literally) for compliance fines from employees 10 years ago. Too many clueless mid-level managers doing nothing and too many VPs sitting around covering their butts. HR is clueless about what employees truly want. Health care plans are too expensive for a company our size. We need more innovation and stop relying on digital to save us. Get better equipment for agents and employees, clean up your databases, help us get software that actually works and does what we need it to do. Been waiting for 8 months for helpdesk to fix a glitch in Access and still have no answer and many of us are left in the dark unable to do reporting.

Advice to Management

Stop for a minute and talk to the little people who are out in the streets and in the weeds doing the work for management and ask what we need. Give us a national meeting so we can boost our morale. Relax a little on budgets and travel/expenses so we can go out and address the problems on the street. Help us get new software and tools that actually work! Ask us what we need, don't wait for failure to fix the problem.. it will be way too late and the little people will tell you "we told you so". Stop spinning everything so it seems positive, admit there are problems and you will earn the respect of your employees.

May 1, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The company is going through changes and rapid digitization, but we are interested in continuing to drive down bureaucracy wherever there is... More

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Western Union full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and great work/ life balance

Cons

Goals are difficult to reach because of market conditions. Management does not care about the sales team. No opportunities for advancements

Advice to Management

Listen to the sales team and provide tools to help them be successful

May 12, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While we love the "pros" you shared, we would like to get more information on the "cons." We care about our employees. Our leadership... More

"Don't Say Nobody Told Me"

I worked at Western Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good PTO. 4% 401k match. Immediate vesting.
    -People get to eat and go to school all around the world because of the work WU does.

Cons

-Sr. Management: You will seldom hear from your EVP leader. Zero guidance or plans for the future. All these guys care about is the stock price, their own bonuses, EPS and profit margins. No new products, minimal raises, no innovation, no process improvements, no morale improving ideas.

-Workload: Be prepared to do more with less each passing year. The workload increased as the company continues to downsize and outsource.You will be shamed when you make a mistake but will hear crickets when you do well.

-Middle management: Many directors and VPs are condescending, arrogant and autocratic rulers. They don’t want to hear your ideas unless they came up with them. They got promoted because they couldn’t go anywhere else and they happened to be the most senior person when the position opened up.

-Culture: Zero fun. Company doesn’t pay a cent for any team builders, get-togethers or holiday parties.

Advice to Management

The C-Suite does not care unless it relates to the stock price.

Mar 13, 2017 – Manager, Community Engagement

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Although we may disagree on whether your individual experience is representative of what most people find working at WU is like, we sincerely regret that... More